Notices

Day 8...

Old 09-30-2015, 01:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8...

Right....
Now I feel I am at the dangerous stage...
Up until now my resolve has been strong, and my memory of just how bad I felt on day one whilst on a drip in A & E was fresh in my mind and clear enough for me not to pick up a drink no matter how strong the cravings were.
However, now I can hear myself thinking, ' got away with it again, not much harm done... Can't be that bad... Maybe I can control it.... If I only have a limited amount no-one will notice anyway... Just enough to stop the cravings and feel normal again... I don't need that website they're all a lot worse than me, l can limit it and still carry on!...'
Someone talk some sense into me!
I feel I'm losing it.
Thanks.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your not loosing it, just going through hell week and u made it !! Im on day 10 and when that urge hits me I time how long it lasts before it goes away. usually about 5 - 10 mins then it passes. Keep ur mind occupied and keep going .. every day it will be easier I think. Grats !

Dru -
Old 09-30-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A drip in A & E?
No way, you can't go there again. It will lead to the same place. A little always leads to a lot, and then the same thing over and over.
You know you'll be better off without it.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, it was day 4. And I had a lot of them. Felt better, hangover gone, didn't go through a serious withdrawal and hey! I can drink again.
Then off on another bender for who knows how long. Stop, swear off booze with solemn vows and won't let that happen again.
Four days and here it came again.
It was a form of insanity. Repeating the same thing and expecting a different result.

I did this for years until the days got closer together and the benders lasted longer until I was drinking every day. It progressed to doing shooters of whiskey at 8am and then beer the rest of the day.
It's a chronic, progressive, relapsing disease and without help I couldn't stop, even through the nightmare of a life I went through.

I sincerely hope you can relate. Drinking isn't going to make anything better. In fact, you may not make it back here to describe the relapse. It's that serious.
Just don't take that first drink.
You did good coming here, and I can totally relate. I hope you don't pick up. It's a losing proposition. Trust me.

Wishing you the best in sobriety.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ride it out
You can't have just a little and you know it
Neither could we, but we get where you are coming from.

Forward does lead to a much better place in time
if that's any comfort CF. . .
Old 09-30-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

It' scary for me when I start that thinking, because I let it continue until there was no going back. It took me another year and a half of misery to get back here.
Do whatever you can to stop those insane thoughts NOW.

If you don't have face to face support, that might help. It's been working for me so far this time.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am newly sober(3 months) and it is hard and I done my share of the E.R. I had to really want something different in my life. I went to a meeting, with a hangover from the night before, when normally I would put it off and rest that day.

I was tired of that lifestyle and knew I could do better. I went to the meeting, got a sponsor, and starting doing the steps and staying busy. I have not had an obession to drink since.

Hang in there.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Look forward to

Tomorrow ! Don't give up! Stay in the game!
Old 10-01-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You were in A and E. That is NOT no big deal. Your bottom doesn't have to get lower.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I heard something on an AA podcast last night.

It said "If you think you can drink normally, try and remember a time you had ONE alcoholic drink and felt satisfied..."

I seriously can't do that at all, hell I even remember office lunches at the pub 22 years ago when I was 17, having 1 and not wanting to go back to work, just wanting to carry on drinking. Not everyone feels the euphoria from drinking that we do. It's only alcoholics / people with an allergy to alcohol / whatever you want to call it / that do.

That's me, sad and unfair but true...

Day 28 for me, don't quite know how but it's getting easier...
Old 10-05-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Clansfan , I'm at day 8 myself !

Cravings come, cravings go, this will diminish with time.
Besides:
I'm tired of playing cat and mouse games with booze !
Tired Tired Tired
Now Lets go for 18 days, Come on lets Roll!