Notices

How long can it last?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long can it last?

Moderation

ABF was dry for about two months, after a two year period of very heavy, daily, whiskey-gin-vodka-beer drinking, with some shorter periods of sobriety in there. It was a horrific nightmare.

He's back to drinking now, though it's only beer, and he has been more or less keeping it "under control". He's not going to the bar. He's not been on any violent destructive rages, like he used to.

It's been almost two months. I figured it would have spiraled by now, like it has before, but it hasn't.

But can it last?
Old 09-29-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

You can only hope.

Before I quit for good, me and my wife would have a huge fight at least a couple of times a year. I was always extremely drunk.

She drinks 1 drink a month or so. I drank 3 to 4 times a week, usually with at least 1 huge binge in that week.

I quit on my own, but was lucky the cops didn't come a few times. That would have been a bad bottom.

He has to want to stop. Nobody can stop him, except jail or health issues, until he is ready.

This is a abstinence forum, that is probably why nobody is chiming in. There are moderation forums out there.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Wantmeback

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. With that level of drinking and the violence issues my guess would be no, it won't last. As an alcoholic I know that this condition is progressive and will get worse, sooner or later.

You can't change him, you can't control him. Take care of you, your welfare, sanity and life. Trying to configure your life and your mental health around an alcoholic will make you equally crazy, and codependent.

There is a Family and Friends Forum here also where you can get input from people who walk in your shoes. I've been on both sides of the fence. As alcoholics in recovery we learn that the only person/behavior we can change is our own. As the friend of an alcoholic, you basically learn the same thing.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by wantmeback View Post
But can it last?
Does it matter? I read your first post. He needs to be sober. Why accept less than that.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Many thanks for the responses.
"Trying to configure your life and your mental health around an alcoholic will make you equally crazy, and codependent."
Yup, pretty sure it has made me equally crazy. I am just now starting to see the extent of it. I always thought I was the sane one holding it together, but now I am seeing the insanity in so much of what I have done to "hold it together".

You're right doggonecarl, probably doesn't matter anyway.
I know at this point, the right thing for me is to leave this relationship.
I'm just dragging my feet I guess
Old 09-30-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, it won't last

Yes, you are right to protect yourself and get out.

Yes, his choice to drink is his own, and he's just kidding himself he has control.

Yes, you deserve better