Notices

Zero Days Sober

Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Zero Days Sober

I don't even know where to begin. I'm drunk more nights than I'm sober. The thought of never drinking again terrifies me. I'm most scared to be sober. I'm most comfortable drunk. I don't know where to go from here.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First you must want to be sober - and you do or you would not have made this post.

The next step is taking the steps to begin a sober lifestyle. What frightens you about being sober?

Look around on the forums and read some success stories, read plans and ideas others have come up with, find some people to partner with on your journey - hopefully someone that can offer much more help than I comes along soon to give you better ideas

Welcome!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Budthepuppy View Post
I don't even know where to begin. I'm drunk more nights than I'm sober. The thought of never drinking again terrifies me. I'm most scared to be sober. I'm most comfortable drunk. I don't know where to go from here.
How does the thought of not drinking for the next 30 or 60 or 90 days sound? Give it a long break, clean out, and give yourself a chance to re-evaluate your situation from a stone sober point of view? You don't have to plan out "forever", you just have to get through Day 1 and then worry about Day 2.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem bud - most of us come here feeling exactly that way - I know I did.

This is a very supportive and welcome community - it is scary to get sober but you know it's the right thing to do - and we have your back

read and post as much as you like

D
Old 09-28-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was petrified too. It's pretty common amongst big drinkers. It's kinda like getting in the pool when you were a kid. Jump in. The water's fine.

I had no idea how many benefits were waiting for me.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Know where to go from here? Focus on day one then set a goal for day 2. One step at a time. When you feel like breaking, log on to SR instead Works for me. Cheers

Dru -
Old 09-29-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome bud. If you are most comfortable drunk, what sparked you to come here and seek help? Getting sober is definitely a scary thought for us, but for the most part the alternative of continuing to drink is even scarier.

Just know that sobriety is possible for anyone, and life without alcohol is very possible. I would argue that it is a much better life for me than I ever had when I was drinking.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2, maybe we can do this together....I'm freaked out! I feel like I'm gonna jump out of my skin.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, bud!

I found out that my life wasn't over when I stopped drinking--it was just beginning. Good advice here, just jump in, read about what others are doing, make a plan of how you'll do this, and do it one day at a time.

If something isn't working try something different. Ask questions if you need to. We are all here to support each other.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really understand exactly how that feels.
Take little steps--I decided to stop no matter what for 3 months to start, and then I felt so much better and clearer, I kept extending the deadline.

I couldn't just stop for good in my mind all at once.

Seeing your doctor and getting some advice / meds if needed would be a great first step--detox can be dangerous so get help with that if possible.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bud
Old 09-29-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bud!!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Bud. We are all here for you and with you.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you, Bud. It helps to be able to talk things over with those who understand. I hope to hear more from you.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Bud! I would say a lot of us have depression, anxiety, stress, etc., that's causing us to drink. A lot of us may even have a low self esteem (gasp!). Alcohol is an escape and being stone cold sober and dealing with life's problems is scary! There's tons of help here from those of us starting off like you and the old timers.