Notices

The weekend alcoholic

Old 09-28-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The weekend alcoholic

Uh oh It's Sunday! Those were the dreaded 4ish words that I would tell myself every single week. Hungover, barely able to walk, heart racing a thousand miles an hour, not able to sleep, but none of this mattered because it was Sunday and I hated Sunday over everything else! After a crazy party weekend, my liver was dry, my brain was burnt, I had the sick line at work memorized, cause I couldn't deal with life, I couldn't be an adult again, why do I have to adult for another 5 days! Ok it's only another 5 days I'd tell myself, it'll be over soon, come on, you can adult for another 5 days, then it'll be fun again! Yes that's right, it'll be all good!

I didn't think it was bad, I didn't think I had a problem, Hey I only drink and party on weekends ok stop bothering me! Yeah, party on weekends alright! So 2 days out of the week, I was riding high above the clouds, I was the happiest man alive, then it would hit... It's Sunday again, I have to be an adult and go to my stupid job, to get my stupid pay, to buy my stupid beer, to be able to go out next weekend and have fun! Ok let's do this!!! Yeahh!!! It's Friday, let's get drunk and party, Saturday morning hangover, who cares let's get rid of it by drinking again cause it's Saturday and I'll deal with the hangover tomorrow. Uh no, you won't believe it but it's Sunday again. I hate my life!!!!

After 95 days of being sober, I can actually say that I love Sunday's, it's a good day to go outside, get ready for the week and face all the great new challenges! Now that I'm no longer drunk on weekends, I can actually spend all week "hangover free" and be productive at work and actually feel valuable! I don't write very much on this website, but I tend to come a lot and read other people's posts. For some reason, knowing that I'm not alone through this fight helps a lot. Hope you all have an amazing week!!
Old 09-28-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're not alone. That was me. For several years. Sunday's bad enough, throw a hangover/minor withdrawal symptoms on top of it, and its a real white-knuckler of a day. Good post.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

Good job!

In my case I still don't wanna be a grown up tho lol.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heck ya Anthem!
Sunday night was the worst. I drank at night every day but the weekends were nonstop Fri to Sun night. The SUNDAY NIGHT DREAD! Great post.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My god, I don't miss that! Sunday night panic attacks. Up watching the clock until early Monday morn. Then ativan before my shower. Rough stuff. Wouldn't wish it on an enemy.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its crazy how much clearer you think when all that alcohol finally clears the system. All those Sunday hangovers are a reason I am quitting. You are not alone ! Grats on 95 days .. thats impressive.

Dru -
Old 09-28-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 95 days

D
Old 09-29-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
My god, I don't miss that! Sunday night panic attacks. Up watching the clock until early Monday morn. Then ativan before my shower. Rough stuff. Wouldn't wish it on an enemy.
Isn't it unbeleivable what we put ourselves through? I remember not sleeping a wink on Sunday nights stressing so much about Monday morning, I would sweat a little, heart POUNDING, and then when I started hearing the airplanes I knew morning was real close because they were first incoming flights for the day. Then the reality of what a bitch of a day it was going to be, I jumped in the shower and tried to put on a happy face. Over and over again. Now I say "never again".
Old 09-29-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi Anthem. Is your name a Rand reference?
Old 09-30-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Every Saturday and Sunday morning I would wake up in a panic. What did I do? Is anyone mad at me? Quick, check the phone. Oh no, I called several people. Check facebook, oh ****. Damn damn damn!!!! Did I flirt with my friends husbands? Sit on their laps? Smack people and think it was funny? Punch my brother in the face and split his cheek? It's all in good fun. The drunk idiot at it again. I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can definitely relate...awful feeling. Even worse when you failed to taper, or not drink at all and just recover, on Sunday and wake up completely smashed and miserable only to realize its a Monday morning and somehow have to pull it together (and for several years I had a job where calling in sick wasnt an option).

Also numerous times where I actually didnt drink at all on Sunday, but still felt funny come Monday because that hadnt been enough time to recover.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate to this too........a few beers a night then an all out party for Friday and Saturday........recovery on Sunday w a few beer and lots of food.......Monday I was still slightly not right but on Tuesday work mode would turn on and I'd be good till Friday night......on and on it went from my 20s to my 40s........I don't do any of that anymore. Crazy **** and I thought I was having a good time......what a waste.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can't imagine a greater hell on earth than sobering up every week only to binge the weekend away again.

I did that for a while, and eventually returned to drinking all the time.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

There's a group in Australia called 'Hello Sunday Morning' which is based on the concept of not binge drinking Saturday night. It was started by uni students who were sick of the binge drinking culture on campus.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I played a lot of games with myself for Sundays.

At one point, drinking all day and then quitting at 8:00 p.m. (didn't work).

Then, I just pretty much drank hard from Monday - Sunday, with particular effort and emphasis on Friday and Saturday.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

95 Days is fantastic!!
Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice post, Anthem. Congratulations on 95 days (hey, it's 100 days today!!!!).
Old 10-03-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Anthem
Old 10-04-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good job Anthem. I was a weekender too, there is nothing to miss about that crazy cycle