Notices

Weight Loss early Sobriety

Old 09-28-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight Loss early Sobriety

Hi all,

Yet another lovely thread!

Topic is weight loss, I know its been brought up before but I'm curious as to what everyones weight loss might have (or not have) been since sobering up.

Since sobering up on July 16th, I've lost 40 pounds. Granted I was rather big when this happened but 40 pounds is alot to me and it has me freaked out.

I had my thyroid checked and bloodwork done, all came back normal 3 times actually except a vitamin d deficiency.

Over the past week I've eaten alot with the exception of wednesday and yesterday where I barely ate anything. Anyway I've lost about 6 pounds in one week!

I know some would love it and welcome that, but I keep wondering what the hec is wrong with me.

Thanks for listening.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, if you were morbidly obese or on the high side of obese, I would think that's a good thing to lose the weight. An average of 3.6 pounds a week for someone who is in the obese range is not out of the ordinary. It's important to lose weight, there are a lot of problems caused by being over weight.

I'd say start tracking your calories online or in a notebook so you know how much you are eating and try to get a good wholesome diet going. It matters what you eat and how much. When I was drinking I swung from eat nothing to eat all the fried foods and cheeseburgers. Not to mention I was taking in thousands of calories in alcohol and mixers.

As long as you still have weight to lose to get to a healthy weight, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep track of your food so you have all the information you need if you go back to the doctor. Myfitnesspal is a good app/site for logging food.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Have you considered keeping a food log of exactly what you are eating every day? That way you would have a much better idea of the actual number of calories you are consuming. You could certainly ask to see a dietitian too. Eating a lot for a few days and then hardly anyting for a couple days doesn't sound like a great plan either really...having a healthy, daily diet is very important.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I use the app myfitnesspal religiously to keep up with my total caloric intake - it's really easy to use.

As for the weight loss, there's any number of things that can be causing it - less calories from alcohol, less binge eating from alcohol, improved metabolism as you feel like moving around more, improved food choices...if you get really incredibly worried I'd talk to a doctor but also tracking your calorie intake can help you see if the weight loss will stabilize
Old 09-28-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

I was 255lbs in feb of 2012 and by october that year I was 150lbs. Weight loss can happen fast. in my case i dieted and exercised. I was not really worried. But others around me where. My doc also figured i must have diabetes or a thyroid problem he checked both nope worst problem i had was high cholesterol go figure slim trip in shape and high cholesterol? was all the eggs i ate i bet.

Anyhow the bigger you are the faster it can fall off. During my weight loss journey in the begining it fell of fast. towards then end it took more time. Now I'm about 160lbs. if i where to try and drop 10lbs now I bet it would take a couple months but way back then at 255lbs? i coulda dumped 10lbs in 2 weeks pretty easily.

I say if all is fine then enjoy the fact that its coming off quick its not always like that.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand that its mostly due to not eating as much. I think my caloric intake is much lower than when I did drink because I drank beer all the time.

Also not to mention I was always a slim person before I drank. So perhaps it is my metabolism starting up or something.

Its just concerning to me because I'll eat terrible one week, well not super bad but not overly healthy either. I'll think, hmmm I ate alot this week, check my weight, wait what the, I LOST 3lbs? what gives??
Old 09-28-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you brought this up.

I quit drinking around the same time as you. I immediately started an exercise routine with a lot of cardio. I changed my eating a bit, smaller portions and fewer carbs. My eating habits are pretty good.

I am down a belt loop and maybe lost 8-10 lbs, but I haven't lost much weight at all.

I was a beer drinking and my caloric intake is substantially lower. My workout involves heavy weights ~3-4 times a week, 5 days/ wk 45 min intense cardio and I am more active on the weekends.

I expected to lose more weight but haven't.

CJ.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
I understand that its mostly due to not eating as much. I think my caloric intake is much lower than when I did drink because I drank beer all the time.

Also not to mention I was always a slim person before I drank. So perhaps it is my metabolism starting up or something.

Its just concerning to me because I'll eat terrible one week, well not super bad but not overly healthy either. I'll think, hmmm I ate alot this week, check my weight, wait what the, I LOST 3lbs? what gives??

I'm no expert but I think it's important to distinguish "terrible" eating from excess caloric intake.

In other words, you can probably eat hot dogs and Skittles every day and still lose weight as long as you're not exceeding a certain amount of calories, Obviously a diet like that's not optimal for many other reasons but as far as I understand it, the calories are the most important marker.

Like the dude in Supersize Me who ate Big Macs every day but was thin as a rail. Probably not that good for him but if he's not going over a certain amount of calories it's understandable why he's not fat.

Anyway if I were in your shoes I'd be psyched more than anything. Good for you and keep up the good work!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I lost over 40 lbs rather quickly when I quit drinking. 2-3 lbs a week, and I'm staying at the weight I'm at now easily even if I eat bad once in a while. I'm sure it's mostly from not having the empty calories of booze and the fact that doing something other than sitting on the couch drunk is more appealing to me now. Embrace it!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After quitting booze I started eating better and exercising vigorously (in fact alcohol lead me to quit my job so I have nothing but free time now). I put in about 3hrs/day of exercise and have gone down from 210lbs to 150lbs in 4months. I know I should take more days off from exercising but I suppose once I get a new job I'll tone it down. The human body is quite resilient and it's amazing what we can accomplish once properly motivated!
Old 10-10-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by cejay View Post
I'm glad you brought this up.

I quit drinking around the same time as you. I immediately started an exercise routine with a lot of cardio. I changed my eating a bit, smaller portions and fewer carbs. My eating habits are pretty good.

I am down a belt loop and maybe lost 8-10 lbs, but I haven't lost much weight at all.

I was a beer drinking and my caloric intake is substantially lower. My workout involves heavy weights ~3-4 times a week, 5 days/ wk 45 min intense cardio and I am more active on the weekends.

I expected to lose more weight but haven't.

CJ.
CJ, a lot of people have this experience, me included. I'm not overweight on the BMI scale, but I am at just about the top of where I feel comfortable with my weight. I've been sober 3 months and I haven't lost any weight, although I can tell that my body composition has changed and I look a lot slimmer. I've only been doing light exercise. But last time I got sober I was exercising at least an hour a day, and I had the same experience... I didn't lose any weight until month 4 or 5.

I've read a fair amount about it and it's a well documented phenomenon. I don't think there's any one explanation, but it's generally thought to be an after effect of having messed up our body's nutritional processes.

Stick with it! I know I eventually got results, and it seemed like it happened fast once I got past whatever physiological barrier I was pushing against.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, drinking and weight gain are directly related. Not only is it the high calorie intake from the booze itself, but salads aren't exactly the cure for hangovers. So, I would make terrible eating choices, fast food and high carbs.

I'm guaranteed to lose weight if I can shake the monkey from my back, which in itself is motivating.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Holds.
I have had unintentional weight loss since quitting.
almost 20 pounds in ten or 12 weeks.
Not good.
Had tests they came back fine but that's not saying much. I have to wait and see if I lose more. I have never, ever lost a single pound from merely quitting drinking. So I am concerned. I was a bit overweight at first but like 10 pounds.
And I eat a lot and do not exercise.
So now it's just a wait and see. Really not too cool for someone with anxiety disorder who can't drink or take benzos.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ive lost about the same,

I think the stress and anxiety puts a toll on us causing the body to burn more energy, all my tests came back fine too
Old 10-19-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I haven't lost any weight really, maybe a couple lbs, I'm on the higher side of a normal weight range, could stand to lose 10 lbs,
But my stomach gets flat and I look thinner when I quit, probably from not being bloated from Alcohol, salt and sugar from hangover eating.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

dammn when i started got clean i was like 120 now 4 years later i hit 167. theres a part of me that says enjoy the fast metabolism and eat cheesy fries all the time while you still can, i just turned 29 this year and felt it slowed down. its been hard trying to contol my eating to loose weight i did manage 5.5 lbs in the last two weeks.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm 32, I noticed my metabolism slowed at around 29-30 too, *sigh*