Notices

Memes/pics that joke about alcoholism offend me

Old 09-23-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Memes/pics that joke about alcoholism offend me

Does anyone else find it kind of offensive or insensitive when people think it's funny to joke about drinking too much? I see memes all the time making light of it. I just saw one that said "It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full, there is always more room for alcohol" with a half empty mug of beer in the background.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd try and avoid memes etc for a while mpw?

D
Old 09-23-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nah.
A lot of that stuff goes around.
I just look the other way.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Lots of people don't have a problem with alcohol and find drunks funny, but joking about something doesn't always mean we don't take it seriously. It can be a way of relieving tension, like telling a funny story about someone at their funeral.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It only kind of weirds me out because I immediately think of how I would have felt before anything was a problem.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doesnt really bother me.

Sometimes it irks me a slight bit, in certain contexts, when you see people acting like drinking is real "cool" (ie putting up pictures brandishing drinks around and all the like) and some sort of accomplishment that should be celebrated, but that's usually young people.

If those certain people had any idea what the drinking prowess they seem to glorify or aspire towards usually entails...
Old 09-24-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the "beer is cheaper than therapy" one gets me, eh I attribute most of that to me actually just wanting to drink, like if the drunk inside of me wants to jump all over that
Old 09-24-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There's a lot of offensive things in the world, not just about alcohol either. It's best to simply avoid them in my opinion. And if you can't avoid them just dismiss them, they are just words or pictures.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This sounds like FB to me. Drinking is glamorized on that forum to pretty much the same extent as it is in "new country" music.

I find it boastful and lame. - and i did when i was a drinker! I often wonder if the person posting is playing games with themselves while possibly suffering.

Thankfully, I only see FB over my wife's shoulder once in awhile. Not much for me there.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The other place that really gets on my nerves is the greeting card shop. Full of stupid unfunny jokes about the negative consequences of drinking.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome point Sleepie!
Old 09-25-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

There's this cute girl on my facebook page who is always posing with some imported beer on her hand, I'm quite sure that I saw a picture of every beer that girl had in the last year lol

I think the ones who glorify drinking are the ones who drink very little / only on special occasions.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It does annoy me slightly, one because I know the problems it can cause, and two because I'M TRYING TO GET SOBER HERE!!

But that's my problem, not theirs. I do think it's a shame that drinking is so heavily promoted here in the UK. But the only thing I can do about it is make sure that I don't drink.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This may be harsh, but you have the problem with alcohol, so it's not the responsibility of the rest of the world to intuit your issues.

Also, being offended is a useless emotion, in my opinion. Either our rights have been transgressed, or we've simply been forced to face feelings we find uncomfortable. One is a real issue and the other isn't.

Perhaps the best thing to do might be to look inward and ask yourself why you think other people should have to tiptoe around your feelings.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's hard to avoid all the depictions of alcohol out there, so many jokes and ads. I just try to ignore them.

It's hard to know the reality behind it. I had a friend on FB who was always posting pictures of specialty beers and cocktails he was having while out travelling. I thought he must be a big drinker. But then he commented on that study that got a lot of play last year -- about how many drinks per week the average American drinks? He posted "whoah, 10 drinks a week would just about kill me". I thought, OK, I guess he's NOT an alcoholic like me, because 10 a week is nothing.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

They don't offend me at all. I may cringe when certain people post them because I know that person probably has issues with alcohol but that's pretty much it.

Just ignore them....
Old 09-25-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I find that most people who post those memes are not alcoholics. I believe that true alcoholics try to hide it. I think they avoid any and all references to alcoholism. Just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nah, not really, I'm not offended by much.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I use to consider it justification - look at all these other people that drink just like me and they don't think anything is wrong with it!

Saw one the other day to the effect of "this vodka tastes like I'll be texting you later" and genuinely thought "do you know how ridiculous you sound?"

I agree. Suddenly they aren't so funny anymore. I'm not offended, I just shake my head. Because I know - and I agree also with wondering if some friends have a problem - they joke about drinking on social medial, they joke about drinking when I see them drinking - they joke and joke and joke. I did too, I made it a big joke. I know though, that the joke was just a denial. If they have problems and are using the joke as justification - hopefully they will know as well one day.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

early recovery can be quite a rollercoaster of emotions. seeing all this crap going on in the world that was bothersome and i didnt see because i was wrapped up in self. took away the alcohol and.....

it was a good thing for me to see though and not like. a lot of the behaviors?
they were mine at one time or another. i didnt like it (sober) and i didnt want to be thay way.
i wanted to grow up. finally!!!!?
i learned them behaviors of others- one being people glorifying drinking- were all part of who i was and it bothered me becuase i didnt like it.
much footwork later and those behaviors dont bother me much.
the ones who glorify drinking? not allowed in my life today.