Notices

Hypochondriac after quitting

Old 09-23-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypochondriac after quitting

I saw this was mentioned in another thread about alcoholism and being a hypochondriac.

My anxiety has actually dimmed down a bit in the past couple weeks, i'm no longer counting the minutes and hours that I feel calm. However, my anxiety transitioned from fear of going crazy etc. to the fear of illness.

It all started back when I went on an unexpected trip with a guy from my church. Anyway on this trip I had some massive anxiety from whatever, just my GAD flaring up. Well on the way home, started talking about a guy near my age that had stomach cancer and started talking about this and that etc. I got super nervous because I have lots of acid reflux since quitting alcohol and we all know, the C word is super scary for anyone.

Well I sort of forgot about it until last week, (some of you might have seen my post) where I had some anomaly in my bloodwork that turned out to be nothing but i stressed on it for days!

Then recently I become easily nauseated after meals and its horrible, it goes away usually but eh I attribute it to stress.

However, I cannot stop obsessing over whether I might have this or that and looking up things, its driving me crazy. The nausea isn't helping either.

Anyone have any problems with being a hypochondriac? How did you cope with all that. I feel like I need to get this test done and this test done etc. but at the same time its probably nothing.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
Anyone have any problems with being a hypochondriac? How did you cope with all that. I feel like I need to get this test done and this test done etc. but at the same time its probably nothing.
Very much so. Anxiety is a separate issue from alcoholism and must be treated as such. You might want to consider seeing your doctor or a therapist.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess.
My roomie, who knows I am quitting, likes to say things like, "oh yeah, quitting can KILL you, guy down the street cleaned up, quit drinking and looked great, then his heart couldn't take it and he dropped dead 5 weeks later". This guy has nothing but terrible stories and bad news. Needless to say, nobody wants to be around him. People cringe when they see him coming.
And I have lived with my boyfriend for months because the roomie is not a bad person but he is toxic as hell. He told me another horror story last I spoke with him, and I cut the call short.
Just stay away from toxic people. I am having some health issues and I am kind of going nuts so I just stay away from anyone who irritates me.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't think me telling you stop thinking about it is going to cure you of being a hypochondriac. See a professional. In the meantime, stay off of Dr. Google.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't suffer from it myself, but I have heard it's really important to stop looking up things - googling etc... - when you start suspecting the next illness. Notice how you go from one health concern to another...it is just anxiety attaching itself to any feeling we get in our bodies. Those feelings will never stop, because that's what bodies are like. It's just our constant attention to them and the belief that they signify something dangerous that's the problem.

Like you mentioned, the list of physical symptoms that relate to anxiety is incredibly long. It's the fight or flight response and Adrenalin in our bodies. This cannot harm us in anyway, except that it is scary if you start believing there is something wrong with you.

There are forums for this problem and I know someone who found that really helpful. Just to know there are many people out there with the same problem, and how it presents itself so similarly among people, can be quite helpful in getting rid of it by really seeing through it - seeing it for what it is, only anxiety. It's a very unpleasant experience, I would imagine. Not nice being afraid there is something wrong with you. It does tend to pass with people though - like a phase, sort of thing. Hope that's helpful :-)
Old 09-23-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This guy is a really nice guy but I swear he is always talking about this person who died and this person who got cancer etc.

I'm too much of a quiet and nice person to say, hey knock it off with those stories! lol At the same time I don't know its like I feel terrible for pushing people away like that when they're just trying to be nice I guess
Old 09-23-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing I did find was that when I drank, I would put off seeing the doctor.
I was scared I might have to have a blood test or some test that would reveal I drank too much.

I was always concerned about my liver too.

Now I don't drink, I go to the doctors whenever I feel ill.
I have no fear of a blood test, and if he/she asks about my life style I am PROUD to say I don't drink or smoke.

I would try to steer the conversation away from cancer and illness when you next speak with the dam and gloom merchant!!!
There is always someone who knows of someone who had some symptom similar to you and died or suffered the worst case illness possible.
I would try not to listen.

I did notice when I stopped drinking my eyes looked really healthy and bright, my skin was better, I felt fitter and I slept better too. I also ate better as I was not eating hangover busting food.

Perhaps a few weeks of you eating good, drinking loads of water and sleeping well and you will feel better about yourself too - emotionally and physically.

I think when we drink for a while we deprive ourselves of nutritionally good foods and become very dehydrated which can lead to symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Getting some vitamins and minerals and lots of water can make the world of difference.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
It's a very unpleasant experience, I would imagine. Not nice being afraid there is something wrong with you. It does tend to pass with people though - like a phase, sort of thing. Hope that's helpful :-)
Thank you, its like my brain just loves going to the worst scenario. Further, even if its something small like a cold or something my brain still acts like its the end of the world!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don;t think there is anything wrong with saying "Hey let's move on from these dark topics". I have one or 2 acquaintances I have no problem saying "Don't tell me these things".
Old 09-23-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like anxiety is an emotion that needs to be addressed. I am newly sober and have become aware that I need to stop 'numbing' myself when I have an unpleasant emotion such as fear, anxiety, anger, etc. That was a road I went down for awhile that led to more problems. I know it's better to face these types of emotions sober. It may not feel so great at the time, but you will be healthier and the healthier you are the better you will feel in all areas of your life. Writing is a great way to process emotions, so keep participating on this forum. Other things that help are getting some fresh air - going for walks, or other exercise, doing things you enjoy.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

I totally agree with Scott