Notices

Day 5 - Withdrawl?

Old 09-20-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My story is your #1 option. Told me my organs were damaged. I swore up-and-down that I would stop drinking and I did stay for an entire week. Then I drank another year. Every night. I stopped when the hangovers became absolutely unbearable. I have now been sober for 15 months and I am healthy again.

Some people might think I'm crazy and even I think I'm crazy when I look back at my past and how I continued to drink. There is no outside source that can make you stop drinking. You have to do it when you want it with you every cell of your being.

The pains you were describing I had them for almost a year and I also had pretty severe PAWS. I think I only started feeling truly normal like I had never drank at about 13 months.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Another GAD here. I know how much it sucks. About 5 years ago I started having panic attacks and anxiety issues and was on lorazapam 1 mg for a few months and then took about a year to kind of get off it and be settled. However, it was around that time my drinking took off. As is common, I was self medicating, just wasn't really aware.

(warning - a little gross ahead, if eating, skip) Anyway, I had the same pain as you and even went to the ER. It turned out for me (and I was a pint of hard a day for 5+ years) that it was actually bad constipation. I didn't realize it because of my "movements" that were never healthy. But my liver turned out to be fine (thank god).

I quit drinking about a month later and am at day 66 sober now. After going through horrible withdrawals (should have gone inpatient), after 2 weeks I started going to the doctor. I've been going every week to two weeks since and everything is normal or heading that way. I did have elevated blood pressure that I'm still working on. But finding out was such a relief. Even if I had an issue, I know that not knowing is worse because our brains will just go to the worst case scenario as if that's reality.

Also, I still have exhaustion. But the main thing is that my anxiety has returned. But this is very normal. Each day seems to be getting a little better for me but I do have moments. But I promise you that after this long, it is so much better than being constantly hungover and what not. Just wanting to let you know if your anxiety rears it's ugly head, don't give in to drinking. That's how your mind tricks you into getting the drink back in you. It will calm down and sobriety is so worth it.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Little Things

Fishface, thanks for sharing your story. One thing that I marvel at here at Day 14 is that I am now having normal bowel movements (sorry don't mean to be gross), because of my pint a day habit (if not more), I spent every morning hung over as well. Only to drink again the very same evening.

Sometimes it is the simple things that I am noticing again as I live each day sober which really amazes me. How much have I missed ?

I know it's not productive to relive the past, so I will end this post by saying that I am grateful for the little things......

Last edited by MrSmith; 09-21-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Im at 67 days, so perhaps the same as you fishface!

Yes the anxiety for me too has returned. For me it was horrible though as what stopped my drinking was panic attacks, and the night of my last drink I had the worst crippling panic attack of my life, to the point where I could not do a thing but stand there leaning over a counter staring off into space because I seriously thought if I move, I'm going to die! or something terrible is going to happen!

Thank God I've never had that again.

It could have been due to blood pressure that my anxiety was so bad. Its been getting normal now lately as it used to be very high consistently, now its consistently normal. That anxiety is still there and now its over stupid worries. It used to just happen for no reason, now the worries of life are taking over.

It should get better though, I'm hoping for that.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dont drink today scaredikklegoth. Thats happened to me too...i felt hungover in early stages of sobriety. i felt dizzy and like my head was spinning, just like a crappy hangover. I have liver damage too Doctor told me. Stay Strong scaredikklegoth.