Notices

Waiting for help

Old 09-19-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe seeing a Dr wouldn't be the worst thing in the world?

D
Old 09-19-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You can do it!

We're with you, Room.
You can do this. The power is within you.

Hugs!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Room, I'm in the UK. I wasn't too bad physically when I quit (by which I mean no DTs), so I didn't need a rehab centre. But these guys helped me get on a SMART course and offered lots more support too. They probably know the best way to get you into a rehab.

http://www.turning-point.co.uk

Also, if you're completely honest with your GP, I'm sure they'll do their best to help. If you've already done that, sometimes I find it best to see a different GP. Some care more than others.

Or, as somebody else suggested, turn up to A&E to get help with your withdrawals. The NHS (because they're under so much strain) tends to wait until you're really suffering before it helps, and there probably is a space or two at a rehab nearby

Or call 111. They've got a lot of resources and info. AA too is an excellent thing.

Sorry you're suffering. But you can get free.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Room - sorry to hear things have gotten so bad. But you've taken a big step in admitting that you have a problem.

When I hit my "bottom", it was a moment of clarity that if I continued drinking, it was going to kill me. And I wanted to live, despite feeling like a useless sack of ****. I'd thought about AA in the past, but the 'God' thing put me off. It wasn't until I was desperate that I didn't care about the 'God' stuff. I didn't go to treatment or rehab, I just started attending meetings. And I discovered that I didn't have to believe in anything when I started going to meetings. All I knew was that people in the rooms had found a solution to alcoholism and they were smiling and laughing, and I wanted that. I was willing to go to any lengths to stay sober, so I followed the simple suggestions I was given. 18 years later, I'm still sober. AA works and there are people at the meetings who are there with open arms to help you on your path, if you're willing to do the work.

If you're drinking 24/7, you may very well need medical help to detox. As someone else suggested, call 111, or if needs be, visit your local A&E.

And you don't need to have already quit drinking to go to an AA meeting. The only requirement for membership and to attend is a desire to stop.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Room, I'm in the US so I don't know the ins and outs of getting help in the UK, but I agree with what others have said and get on the list, even if you have to wait, at least you're "in line" so to speak. Also, have you attempted tapering? Its not a popular resolution on this site, but I did it successfully. You will still experience some uncomfortable moments but you can dig yourself out. You just have to be disciplined. I am wishing you the very best. There is a better, more rewarding life waiting for you.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd check in as it were, I have been reading your posts, I just don't always log in to do so. I have an appointment Thursday to "talk" to someone, apparently it will take 20-30 mins, the first appointment is over the phone, kinda dreading it, they apparently assess me from there, I have forms I have to fill out before they phone so I can relay the answers, some of the questions are just not relevant I don't even know what I'm going to say, least I'm doing something though, right?
Old 09-27-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good step forward - let us know how you get on R.

Don't hold anything back either - let them know what the situation is really like - that's in your best interests

D
Old 09-27-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Early days are tough but indeed things get easier, and eventually much easier and clearer.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Room1 View Post
Just thought I'd check in as it were, I have been reading your posts, I just don't always log in to do so. I have an appointment Thursday to "talk" to someone, apparently it will take 20-30 mins, the first appointment is over the phone, kinda dreading it, they apparently assess me from there, I have forms I have to fill out before they phone so I can relay the answers, some of the questions are just not relevant I don't even know what I'm going to say, least I'm doing something though, right?
I can't remember the last time I filled in ANY kind of form that I didn't have to put n/a next to some question or another. Doesn't mean that the whole form and what it was for was n/a though, so don't let that put you off, or think the process is pointless.

And I find that with these things, saying the truth is the only place to start. Anything else is pointless. Although that was very hard to do at first. I never considered myself to be a complete out and out liar. I was just in the habit of trying to frame the truth in a way that people would be happiest to hear them. (I would try out conversations over and over in my head with "I've say this, then they'll say that, and they'll think... oh no, well, if I that that, then...." - all very exhausting). But as I started recovering I also started to realised that the uncomfortable truth is far more conducive to sorting stuff out than when I have soft-focussed things a little. I suggest you fill in out in an outrageously honest way, as if no-one else will ever, ever see it. And if you really think something is n/a just put n/a.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Use those with withdrawal symtons as a reason to consider not drinking for a little while... try to go a week first as a goal, one day at a time... you will feel better after 2 or 3 days. Lots of support here for ya Keep your head up.

Dru -