Notices

Antabuse or similar Meds

Old 09-18-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse or similar Meds

Anyone have any experience using Antabuse or any other deterrent type medication for the recovering alcohol addict? What about any medications that help control cravings for alcohol? I am in the early stages of recovery and will see my Dr. again soon. Just trying to research the medications that have helped others stay clear of alcohol.

-Deep South-
Old 09-18-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've tried Antabuse. Don't bother. I got the idea that if I used it for like 2 weeks and then weaned off for 7 days or so, I could allow myself windows of drinking opportunities. You start to rely on the pill as the control when you and your own head is in the driver's seat. Maybe if it was a shot that you gave yourself that lasted a full month and there was no chance of game playing, it might work. But if you're a sneaky Pete like me and you think you can find ways around stuff and to make things fit into your own plan, it's a waste of time. And you do feel so sick if you don't wait an adequate number of days before you drink again. SO sick.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Antabuse isn't really for reducing cravings, it's to make it physically impossible for you to drink once you're solidly on it. Takes a while to build up, meaning you have to take it every day without fail, which gives you many opportunites to "forget" to take it, which is exactly what I did when I tried it. It helps some people for sure, but talk to a doc about craving reduction meds - some people use Naltrexone for that.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks...someone told me theres a pill to stop cravings. I wrote that down JeffreyAK
Old 09-19-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My son takes Antabuse. If you have someone in your life who will monitor it, it's a great deterrent. There's is also Vivitrol, an injection which basically makes alcohol completely ineffective, so you don't get a buzz. $1000 per monthly, however. Naltrexone and camprasol (sp?) are supposed to reduce cravings.
I am very grateful for Antabuse.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took antibuse years ago. I think it's a great tool in early sobriety. If you are committed to not drinking, take a pill first thing that morning. You cannot drink that day without becoming very ill. I have not had a drink in over 33 years and antibuse was one tool among others that helped.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many addiction psychiatrists today consider antabuse an outdated therapy. Vivitrol, mentioned above, and naltrexone (Revia) are now considered more effective medications. I drank on naltrexone and still managed to get plenty drunk, but I did drink less. Same with acamprosate (Campral). Other medications commonly used to help with cravings are baclofen, gabapentin (Neurontin) and topiramate (Topamax).

But the bottom line, if you're an alcoholic, no medication is going to undo that. Meds help, but the only thing that can make you stop drinking is you.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I havnt but welcome to SR bud
Old 09-19-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

vivitrol is naltrexone that is injected

campral can be taken, but is effective if you don't drink before you take it

Ask your doctor about these:
Naloxone (Narcan)
Disulfiram (Antabuse)
Acamprosate (Campral)
Bupropion/naltrexone
Buprenorphine (Butrans)
Old 09-28-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Thanks for the post Deep South. How are you doing now? What is your strategy?

I found Antabuse to be great. It worked for me. I call it my Higher Power, lol.

I was unable to get started on stopping the drinking. Every morning I'd wake up and think, this is it, today is the day. No more from now on. Then every day I'd get home from work and think, tomorrow I will quit.

Once I was on the pill I had to stop. No choice. If I could wake up in the morning and think, I still want to be clean, then I take the pill. The evening guy had lost his power of choice over the matter.

It doesn't wear off quick either. So if you want to drink, if you absolutely need to drink, and continue to feel that way for a couple of days and nights, you still can't. You have to feel that way for much longer. And if at any point between when you first feel like drinking and say, four to five days later, if at any point you come to your senses and take the pill again, well you just bought your body and mind more time sober. More time to consider what you really want and need.

I would like to hear from anyone that has had the injection. Any one have that?
Old 09-28-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

a naltrexone injection here costs $3000 dollars .
Old 09-28-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I took Antabuse for ~ 15 - 18 months.

I went to a lot of meetings, worked the steps, got a sponsor, did service work and asked God for help everyday, all day long.

Everyone laughed at me for taking Antabuse, but I did and have been blessed with sobriety ever since the day I walked into a treatment center a few 24 hours ago, so to speak.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkbeformakrun View Post
Thanks for the post Deep South. How are you doing now? What is your strategy?

I found Antabuse to be great. It worked for me. I call it my Higher Power, lol.

I was unable to get started on stopping the drinking. Every morning I'd wake up and think, this is it, today is the day. No more from now on. Then every day I'd get home from work and think, tomorrow I will quit.

Once I was on the pill I had to stop. No choice. If I could wake up in the morning and think, I still want to be clean, then I take the pill. The evening guy had lost his power of choice over the matter.

It doesn't wear off quick either. So if you want to drink, if you absolutely need to drink, and continue to feel that way for a couple of days and nights, you still can't. You have to feel that way for much longer. And if at any point between when you first feel like drinking and say, four to five days later, if at any point you come to your senses and take the pill again, well you just bought your body and mind more time sober. More time to consider what you really want and need.

I would like to hear from anyone that has had the injection. Any one have that?
Walkbe,

Thanks for the post. Last Wednesday was the last time I had a drink. The only medication I am currently taking is a low-dose Benzodiazapine, 2X daily to aid with the anxiety and sleeplessness that comes in the early stages of withdrawal. I have also been attending AA meetings daily, and it is helpful that they are at 7:30pm, a time when I would normally be drinking after a day's work. My Doctor hasn't suggested any further medications yet. I am due to go back for a checkup next week. I will probably inquire about receiving a prescription for Antabuse. I could tell the Doc that I know others who have had great success in abstaining from alcohol while taking it.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I take Naltrexone (oral version) and for me, it helps with cravings. I went off of it for a couple of weeks (because I was drinking) and have started taking it again and it helps. I am not sure how long my doctor is going to let me take it but I hope for a while still.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Naltrexone has helped me a lot. At first I did drink on it but it definitely reduced my desire to do so. I did have side effects, kind of like a low-grade hangover for a couple of weeks. Now I have 4 months of sobriety. It isn't a magic pill though-you have to want to stop drinking and do the hard work necessary.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Same thing with Antabuse. It's not magic. You have to want to work with it to have it work for you. It's a crutch of sorts.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I used Antabuse with complete absolution that I would never take a chance & drink while taking it...a few months ago I decided it had been enough days since I had taken any & I drank....my whole body turned beet red & my heart was racing...I read later where someone did the same...their blood vessels burst in their brain & they died. No more Antabuse for me.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
I used Antabuse with complete absolution that I would never take a chance & drink while taking it...a few months ago I decided it had been enough days since I had taken any & I drank....my whole body turned beet red & my heart was racing...I read later where someone did the same...their blood vessels burst in their brain & they died. No more Antabuse for me.
Either that or no more alcohol. Which is why some people take it to begin with. I read once that there was a person that could not quit drinking alcohol and their liver gave out and they died.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I took it one stage because a friend in recovery recommended it. Then I drank on it. I was extremely ill. But the worst part was, I was so disorientated and confused that I could not even find my mobile phone to call an ambulance. I should have gone to A & E that night.

After that I made more effort to find other ways of stopping drinking. They are working much better than antabuse.

The friend who recommended it is now back in active alcoholism and not doing anything towards his long term recovery.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Yes, well, I think the advice is clear, if you take Antabuse, you really should not drink alcohol. Now that we have that settled maybe we can move on to deeper questions like, should you run with scissors!