# 21 (permalink)  

Ask your doctor about Baclofen.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Cunning, Baffling, Powerful Mak
Old 10-01-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A lot of scary stories here. Read the literature, it is mostly a pretty safe drug as it is prescribed in lower doses these days. I am on Antabuse and it has been a miracle drug for me. It helped me get 36 days sober earlier this year. Yes, I stopped taking it and yes I drank. Then I began experimenting with it, using it during the week but drinking on weekends. Now I'm on day 9 again using it regularly. Of course I have experience red with drinking on it - after half an hour you have a hot red face and a tight chest and you don't keep going. Hopefully the next morning you wake up grateful that it was a brief period of insanity and take another pill.
It works best if you have someone to be accountable to. I am a single parent so for me that person is my counsellor. I take the Antabuse 3 times a week and call her each time.
I don't do AA but I do counselling. ANtabuse works great but you need to do something with it. My moods are up and down, I go from feeling elated that I'm sober to depressed that I can't drink, but as long as I've taken that pill, it's too bad. I can't drink no matter what. And every morning I am so happy and proud of myself.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I took antabuse for the first three months.

I also was at a meeting everyday, spent most days in the company of recovering alcoholics, and I took the steps with the help of a sponsor. By the end of three months the world had changed, fear of drinking had left me and was replaced wiht a stronge desire to stay sober and develop a relationship with my higher power, which is what AA is all about.

Antabuse was no longer required. It was an excellent back up, part of going to any lengths. But obviously its protection was only temporary, not the permanent solution I found in AA.

I wonder about some of the other meds like the ones that take any pleasure out of drinking. Suicide pill is what they sound like. As an alcoholic who found life without booze unbearable, the idea that a pill would prevent me getting any relief with alcohol would leave me in a pretty bleak spot. In my view a pill like that would only be of use in conjunction with a program of recovery, but used in isolation, could be quite dangerous.