Notices

acceptance??

Old 09-17-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Life is hard with or without alcohol. LIving sober helps me deal with this reality a hell of a lot better than when I drink. It's not that life gets perfect when we stop drinking, it's that I can finally deal with - confront- heal the crap that I swam in for so long. Hang in there. Things won't get better overnight, but they will improve. A suggestion might be to try a different meeting if you can- if you aren't hearing solutions- because they are out there.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Gonzo how are you today?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The stark realization that some of our actions when drinking may be forgiven by another at some point, but change the relationship permanently is indeed difficult to come to grips with.

If not cautious our new sobriety can be threatened because we are not immediately getting what we want and feel sorry for ourselves. I know I was very capable of getting into the poor me's.

One of the greatest things the program of AA teaches us is to make amends. For those we love, these are typically living amends. No more of I am sorry, or gee let me buy you a gift works anymore. We simply have to change and that is a slow process. Sometimes the best amends are letting another move on with their life and respect their wishes to do so. We can't "fix" everything even though is hurts like heck for us.

Counselling can help deal with this, however and should be considered along with AA and SR. One day you may awake and the world will start to look different/better> I know I felt around 6 months a fog lift. Remember the movie Pleasantville when everything black and white slowly changed to living color!?
Gaining sober time was like that for me and I see it in others eyes. You go to meetings, look at their eyes - there's a light - if you stick around you'll find it, no doubt.

Think perhaps of doing some service work at a local shelter or the salvation army, perhaps. Find a way to help someone else........you'll start to heal - I promise!

keep coming back and keep posting, friend
Glad your here with us!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Maybe it's not easy to hear but my shrink told me that when I quit it's not going to make anything any better, especially in the short run. He said my problems might even seem bigger since I won't have a way to drown them out.

That helped me set my expectations. So I'm going in thinking, "this change is going to suck" and then anything better than suck is a pleasant surprise.

Anyway like AnonSara said, at least you can see your problems more clearly and don't have to hide them or from them.