Notices

What is so great about not having another drink?

Old 09-03-2004, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2 Years Sober!

I am about to admit myself to a residential treatment center, but I feel like my life won't be any fun anymore without drinking. What is so great about life if we can't drink? I can't remember a positive memory in my past that didn't have alcohol involved..you have to admit, it is pretty fun. I haven't hit "bottom" exactly, but I am concerned about my drinking everyday. I just am afraid I won't want to give it up completely. That means no date nights without drinking, no vacation with drinking, no Christmas parties without drinking...etc...

How will I cope? How do YOU cope? Can life actually be fun and silly and flirtatious without a drink?

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, for me, fun is not being under the influence of a substance. finally having a clear mind and being able to think and feel my own feelings without being buzzed or high is enjoyable for me. there was a time that being clean and sober was no fun to me, but i didnt realize how much control the substances had over me and how they really made things less enjoyable.

and yes, my life is fun and enjoyable today! most of the time it is. its not a pitcher of lemonade or a bowl of cherries but i feel much healthier and i dont worry about "how much ive been drinking" or "how long its been since ive been clean or sober" or "will i have to sleep off the alcohol before i get in the car" or "am i overdosing again". i guess over time i just learned to associate fun with sober and clean fun.

i cope by just realizing ive got a problem, knowing that i have a choice to say "no", and taking my "fun time" slow so that i dont get too overwhelmed. when im tired, i go home. right now it doesnt take much to get me tired, but i still have a wonderful clean and sober time. i have a lot of family and friends that offer a listening ear and a lot of encouragement to have good clean fun. im surprised, but they like me a lot better clean and sober. i like me a lot better this way too. i dont think i could go back to using a substance or drinking beer/vodka every day. the reason? i am happy with myself sober, i know i cannot just drink/use for one night, the evening will not be enjoyable because there is that nagging voice in the back of my head that tells me i have a problem, and lastly, ive got legal problems and i choose to play it straight now.

i hope ive helped! let us know how you are doing! by the way, im longboarder.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi I relate exactly! About to attend meetings... I agree with you but with me I think of the old days, when I was younger, spending hours playing ice hockey every day, watching sports games on tv with my dad...

Think of when you were younger how much fun you had and didnt even think of drinking, thats what is pushing me!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great Point dacdd! We just have to unlearn the alcoholic thinking and relearn how to have fun sober. It does take time. It may not come right away. You will be better off to handle the cravings with a recovery program. But life is still fun. I know it may seem hard to believe. It was for me too. But when the fog clears, and the obsession to drink is lifted, you can really start to enjoy life for what it is.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

I can't remember anything fun about drinking. Life without alcohol is much better. There were nights where I thought I was having a good time, then I woke up and the hangover hit. Then my drinking progressed to day into night, night into day. Ugh...that took alot of planning and effort to manage that much drinking. In fact it turned into a full time job, without pay. Trying to stay one step ahead of the withdrawals...no thanks, that is not my idea of a good time. Falling out of bed and being to drunk to get up, I never want to deal with that again. Time to make new sober memories. To me, it is much harder trying to cope with life drunk, then it is to cope sober. I hope you never do hit bottom, it is not a pleasant memory. If you had, you would understand what is so great about not having another drink. Trust me. Good luck on your recovery and I hope you keep us posted on your progress. Take care...

Talia
Old 09-03-2004, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Life without alcohol....
no hangovers
a clear mind
no getting sick
no blackouts
no arrests
no fights about nothing
no having to say Im sorry,when I cannot remember what for in the first place!
no court appearances!!
no DWIs
no court costs.
For me,there was not a thing fun about drinking.Only caos!
I have more time for my husband and my kids.Sober time that we actually enjoy.
You will find out when you get sober how enjoyable life can really be.
Everyone hits a bottom! And I have had mine as many others have also.
Welcome to SR! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

What all of the above said! It will be worth it!
Old 09-04-2004, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

jenjram welcome to SR.

Try to keep an open mind when you go into treatment maybe something you hear might help you decide tht you want to quit for good.

The fact that you are concerned about your everyday drinking is evident that something is amiss in your life and you want to do something about it.

"Whats so great about not drinking ?"

To add to boop's list.

More money in my pocket.
No more car accidents.
No more "morning after" remorse.
No more calling the boss and lying.
No more cotton mouth and stink breath.
No more fear and confusion.
Better attire and physical appearance.
No more passing out at strangers house.
No more loud obnoxious behaviour.
No more loss of appetite.
No more morning shakes.
No more stealing morning drinks.
No more blurred vision and ringing in ears(tinnitus)

Should I go on.....?

No more diarrhoea
No more bottles cluttering up the house.
No more stinky bars and night clubs
More postive outlook on life.
More friends
More time to spend with family and hobbies....

Can you hear me now.....or should I continue.....?
Old 09-04-2004, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How cute- serenity in vast quantities
Old 09-04-2004, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No more getting wasted and thinking I can sing on Karaoke night at the bar!

LMAO!
Old 09-04-2004, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Jenjram,

Politically incorrect joke alert...

An alcoholic was driving down the road and gets pulled over by a policeman.

"Excuse me Sir, would you mind stepping out of the car? I have reason to believe you are under the influence of alcohol..."

The driver gets out. Blows into the breathaliser and, naturally ... is well over the limit.

"How did you know I'd been drinking?", asks the driver. "I've only had a couple..., and I'm sure I was driving perfectly normally."

"Oh," says the policeman, with a wry smile. "Your driving was perfect, Sir. I was just judging by the looks of the woman you appear to have picked up."

Deg.

(that was for my best mate who died of pancreatitis caused by excess alcohol)
Old 09-04-2004, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Deg)))

Sorry to hear about your friend Deg. :sad6: What a lucky person your mate was, to have a friend like you. I'm sure he's smiling down upon you.

I always enjoy reading your posts and appreciate your humor and good advice. A big laugh goes up in honor of your best mate. Thanks for that.

Talia
Old 09-05-2004, 07:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another thing---

Jen- I also wanted to tell you that I met a lot of people in AA that have been sober for years. They all say that life is good without alcohol, and that they are happy. This encourages me so much. Hopefully one day we will feel that way.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kit

Fun means:
Never having to say, "Did I do anything stupid last night?"
Never having a hangover.
Never repeating the same story at a party
Never falling down
Never feeling guilty
Never acting foolish in front of my kids and their friends
Never having to say, "sorry" (where have I heard that?)

Having more energy
Having more focus
Having intelligent conversations
Having lots and lots of laughs at parties, STILL!!!!
Having better sex :smlove2:
Having a good night's sleep
Having a clear conscience

I find being sober a BLAST!!!!!!

Lots of love, Kit
Old 09-07-2004, 06:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

A real good reason for me to not have another drink is not having the 12 or 18 that would follow the first one.
Another reason is definitely knowing I don't want a liver transplant.
And lastly, I'm more comfortable with myself now than I ever was when I was drinking.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Ditto to everything on Peter and Betty's lists. Also ditto to Dan's comment. One more drink isn't going to do me a damn bit of good - it's just going to make me thirstier. I'm a long way from hitting what a lot of people would recognize as a "bottom", thank God, but I'm beginning to realize that the only way I'm going to have a shot at getting my fill of the stuff is to quit my job, move under a bridge, and get serious about my drinking. Since my kids wouldn't really understand that, I think I'll give AA a shot.

A belated welcome to you, by the way, Jen. I've just getting back into the swing from a vacation, so I'm way behind on extending my salutations.

God bless,
Joe
Old 09-08-2004, 12:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hear you Betty, you sound alot like me. Tonya
Old 09-08-2004, 03:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Jen,

That means no date nights without drinking, no vacation with drinking, no Christmas parties without drinking...etc...

How will I cope? How do YOU cope? Can life actually be fun and silly and flirtatious without a drink?
How I cope is one day at a time, and at times, one moment at a time.

There came a time for me when being comfortable in my own skin, at peace, and happy simply meant staying in this one moment, and enjoying the many choices that I have today. One of those choices is that I simply do not have to drink...today What a gift that is. Today I live life to the fullest, taking each moment as it comes, and I am so very grateful that I have a life second to none today,.... right now,.... in this very moment

Ditto to all of the posts above, and more

Patsy
Old 09-08-2004, 07:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

With not drinking,i became...real....Booze no longer,controling me,what i feel,,how i behave,my thinking,,etc....With real issues,and real tools,to use,and that work, to help me live sober and happy.When i laugh today its from my heart,belly,no longer booze induced...And its longer lasting...and feels oh so good..from the inside..and it spreads out to others...And when im down,im not out.When drinking i saw the end of the world many times..And i dont repeat myself today.When drinking i became half deaf,i think because i was always asking,,things like,,,,,,e-h?,did another say something??,what? Are you talking to me??Oh by the way who are you??You know things like that,,lol...Today,I call another,read recovery material,and get to going.on my recovery.Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how i respond to it."make this your best day ever...Way to go on admitting yourself to a treatment center,congrats...!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

The next time your at a social gathering, keep your eye on the loud obnoxious one. The one who is very annoying and you can't wait to get away from. Stumbling and fumbling around. The one who's gonna end up sicker then a dog in about...oh, 35 minutes. Do you want to be like that? I don't.