Notices

The dragon of booze is tempting me again

Old 09-06-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The dragon of booze is tempting me again

I'm tempted to relapse on booze. Please, everyone, talk some sense into me. It's working its "Alcohol isn't really bad for you" line in my head... Does it ever go away?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it does go away. Drink a big glass of water. Walk around the block. Count backwards from 100. Do something to interrupt the thought. How long have you been sober?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awhile, I can't remember exactly, but I've encountered some triggers, and it always starts with a drink or two, and then the machine starts moving, and it then becomes a daily thing, and spirals down. It's very difficult to remember that, though, when at this vantage point, because a few drinks seems so innocent and harmless.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alex, maybe think about your worst drinking experience ever...thats what brought you here, I would guess.
its a fight, but you can do it. people do, every day.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do this Alex! Do get busy with anything else - housework, yardwork, shopping (don't buy any alcohol) or a hobby...If those start to fail, eat ice cream! You'll appreciate waking tomorrow morning with clean laundry rather than a huge headache! Sending strength through good thoughts for you :-)
Old 09-06-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The worst part about drinking is how wretched I feel after drinking consistently, and then eventually living for the bottle... Also, the mental trickery involved, it always convinces me that it's good for me, somehow.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep. We know that part well. Maybe try writing down the reasons why you don't want to drink?
Old 09-06-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
Alex, maybe think about your worst drinking experience ever...thats what brought you here, I would guess.
its a fight, but you can do it. people do, every day.
That worked for me. Attach the emotions you felt of shame and pain at that time. It's harder for the AV to talk it's way around an emotional response. I have this really crappy ex and sometimes I would put his face on the craving saying "I just want to talk." NONONO
Old 09-06-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you gone back and read your old posts Alex - that was not a happy place for you to be, man.

why do you think you're thinking about this now?

D
Old 09-06-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great idea to read the old posts. I wish I'd kept a log of all the misery I caused myself. Alex, it definitely gets easier as you go along. I wouldn't have made it if I'd been constantly tempted. After awhile, being free of it becomes more important than anything - and we want to hold on to the progress we've made.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i get that when i struggle to accept certain things in life. its irrational thinking of 'what the hell does it matter anyway'. but we do care when the hangover kicks in.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What's going on to make your thinking go stinking? Are you bored, angry, lonely, tired or hungry? Figuring that out will help you combat the beast. Sometimes starting a new routine can help. I really missed a beer after doing yard work so I started making myself a huge glass of ice with a splash of juice and topped with seltzer. A friend of mine turned tea into a ritual. She got pretty teapots, different herbal teas, bought special cups for friends and made it a special event.
You really don't want to pick up again. It is the pits. You will be disappointed in yourself, you feel lousy. Just don't do it
Old 09-06-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Here's a good one to read Alex. This thread was very similar to the one you just started today
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ake-drink.html

And this is where you ended up about 3 months later. Does that help your decision at all?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-help-me.html
Old 09-06-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello , Alex, please don't drink. Keep posting, it helps.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It isn't the booze

Hey Alex,

I noticed a trend in your posts: "alcohol is doing this to me".

Alcohol is just a liquid that sits on a shelf. Some people use it wisely, enjoy it responsibly, and leave it alone when the good time is done. None of us here are like that.

Alcohol is not doing anything, tempting or otherwise. I see this pattern in people when they're getting ready to slip. They start painting their agency out of the picture, as if they are planning an excuse.

It's all you. You are tempting yourself because you want to drink. The best thing you can do is take ownership of those feelings, and find out what you can do to overcome them. Personal responsibility has very much fallen out of favour these days, what with alcoholism being called a disease among the ranks of cancer or MS.

We are simply people who make poor decisions about booze. We should own that, and take the appropriate steps to change it. Coming here instead of indulging your cravings was an excellent decision. All you need to do is keep making good decisions.

You can do it.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Alex?

D
Old 09-08-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alex make contact bud
Old 09-09-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
tea enthusiast

i find immediately drinking hot tea/coffee removes thought of consuming alcohol, because it's very different to the drink you're thinking about, and is also nice.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I feel utterly lost, and am questioning my judgment in almost every direction. Thanks for the encouragement, this is the only online source of support I have.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

What exactly do you feel lost about Alex - is it a general thing or more specific?

D