Notices

Destined for alcoholism

Old 09-06-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Destined for alcoholism

Thinking about my life sober and i begin to wonder, through several factors, Was. i destined to become an alcoholic, are certain people destined for that life?

I realize that this has probably been asked and talked about thousands of times but to me it seems interesting. Ive always had a normal life up until my alcoholism. Im also setting the factors aside like childhood abuse and things like that, thats not the point.

I guess just with my personality as it is, was I always destined for this no matter if I had the bestest childhood or whatever? I seem to have always wanted things to be better than they are, never content or satisfied completely. I was always okay with things but always had the mindset of things could be better though. I guess that mindset sort of put me on a path where alcohol in a sense could have made certain times more fun.

In this new sober life. Im getting slowly used to, i always wondered if it was just meant to happen that Id fall into some type of mood enhancing addiction. Dont get me wrong Im glad ive been staying sober and I know it will get better.

Just my thoughts of the day. anyone care to share?
Old 09-06-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I accept I was destined for alcoholism I have to accept I was destined for recovery too

The truth is - I dunno. There is alcoholism in my family here and there but none in the immediate family.

The really important thing is - it's no longer a problem for me

D
Old 09-06-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

I was always okay with things but always had the mindset of things could be better though. I guess that mindset sort of put me on a path where alcohol in a sense could have made certain times more fun.
yeah if 1 is good 15 must be fabulous has always been my mindset. My whole sobriety time has been spent trying to learn to simply be ok with the way that things are and how to allow things to be etc.. Had I learned this ions ago maybe I woulda been ok with just a couple beers? I dunno. That being said now that I do know it and I know how much I like alcohol i'm not gonna go and try to moderate it now thinking with my new found knowledge I could somehow keep it in check.

It does kinda make you wonder tho if you new better about this and that could ya have kept it in check before it went nuts? I dunno.

But like dee says I might have been destined for it and estined for recovery. I dont have much shame left about my drinking days really because Its made me the person i am now through recovery. I've grown a lot as a person through recovery so in a way being an alcoholic for me is really a pretty good thing so long as i dont drink.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

For me I think I put myself in the situation to become an alcoholic . I didn't actually become dependent on it until later in life or feel the want & need to have it . Sure I would go out once or twice a months , but I wouldn't pick up the next day .
Was after I drank heavily for a few days is when I found myself addicted . From there it just spiraled out of control . I still think if I hadn't gotten that deep into drinking , I still could be just doing that once or twice a month thing .
After 10 + years trying to pull myself out of it's grip . I know there will Never be a choice to moderate or have that 1 people talk about . I am a recovering alcoholic & always will be .
Old 09-06-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I see examples of people who are alcoholics quitting every day and learning to live a sober life. That tells me that even if destiny plays a part, there are still choices available to us to better ourselves. I firmly believe anyone can make the choice to get sober and get sober, no matter where they came from or how they got there.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
After a lot of trying not to be an alcoholic honesty led me to believe I am which led me to accept the fact I can’t drink in safety one day at a time in a row in safety.
For me it’s a waste of energy wondering why and maybe if, it doesn’t change a thing. I think I have some logical reasons but again what difference does it make?

I counteract this disease by just not drinking alcohol and my life did not end without alcohol.

BE WELL
Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

The short answer is, no I don't believe in an addictive personality. From my experience, addiction and substance abuse are always attempts at self-medicating mental health problems. What those problems are may vary, but often involve the brain and body producing levels of stress that are toxic. So when you say, early childhood abuse aside, I think you may just be missing an extremely important cause of addiction.

If anyone has never heard of the ACE study done in California, I highly recommend you google it. The results have had a tremendous impact on the way addiction is viewed and treated in the medical community. Essentially it found a massive, overwhelming correlation to childhood trauma and later adult risk factor for addiction (as well as a whole host of other health risks).

Personally I don't believe that I could have ever drank alcohol responsibly, my brain just isn't wired for that. But, I want to be clear, I'm not quoting scientific studies as some means as a cop out for all my lousy past behaviour. We always have the choice and the power to recover, even if some people are deeper down the rabbit hole than others. We're all adults and nobody is going to take care of our health, in fact nobody has the power to, besides ourselves.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Lots of great advice
Old 09-07-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

I don't believe anything is destined to happen. My alcoholism developed in particular circumstances and through a lot of choices over time. At one juncture, I was just as likely to become a heroin addict

I do enjoy probabilities. Given my personality & my family genes + raising, some kind of addiction was more likely than not. Also, in my family, addiction has a high probability of ending in alcohol-related death.

Placing my bet on recovery. I'd rather go for the long shot than the sure thing I could never profit from.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think there are people that develop addictive personalities early in life, they tend to do a lot of things to excess. It doesn't seem that uncommon that addictions get transferred to other things when a person gives up the alcohol. You can get addicted to just about anything and it can be hard to define the difference between being heavily involved and addicted. It is interesting that addiction to positive things is often looked at as a good thing while addiction to destructive things is bad but in a way they are different sides of the addiction coin.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I believe I was born an addict with all sorts of indicators even in early childhood. The only thing I can say is it $ucks to be me.

The why makes no difference. I was born the way I was but my future is not preordained. I am in control of myself and have developed a treatment plan that has worked pretty darn well for over 6 years