Notices

For the scientifically inclined

Old 09-09-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Interesting points about dopamine, thanks. I wonder if it's possible to create a drug that would help balance the dopamine levels in addicts? I know there are many experimental drugs out there attempting to control neurotransmitters for schizophrenics and those with bipolar disorder but most have been met with very limited success. In an addict though, you really would mostly need to control just the dopamine. Also. knowing that repeated artificial releases of dopamine causes a depletion of naturally occurring dopamine couldn't alcoholism be treated at least on an interim basis with a supplement? After the initial rehabilitation the patient could be weaned off the supplement.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Interesting topic to be sure. For me personally, the interest would lie in documenting the initial results, then documenting the environmental factors of the child's upbringing. I know it sounds rather cold and could be interpreted as using your child as an experiment, but believe it would be interesting. Can environmental factors over-ride genetic predispositions? Is one doomed if they have the predisposition for addiction? Or are they in no way at risk of addiction if they do not exhibit a predisposition for addiction? One way to find out would be to document the existing information (the genome sequence) and then diligently document the child's life, environmental factors, exposure to healthy or unhealthy surroundings, social influences, cultural factors etc... Did I make ANY sense? I have a bit of a scientific background myself. But its been awhile.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you on your growing family!
I just wanted to say that I'm a scientist too, well now I'm a scientific writer, and I would love the opportunity to get my genome sequenced. Depression runs on my mother's side of the family and alcoholism on my father's so I would be fascinated to compare the wonders of our DNA with that of other people.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yeah if I had that opportunity I'd jump all over it.

You don't have to share the results with the kid until the appropriate time(s) but if it were me, I'd feel some degree of responsibility to learn about predisposition to whatever maladies might exist (not just alcoholism) and help my kids avoid them.

Beyond that the information is just really very interesting even if no valid scientific conclusions can be made from it. Can't imagine NOT wanting to look at that information.