Notices

Could This Discovery End Alcoholism?

Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Blocking D1 Receptors in Brain Blocks Alcohol Cravings: Study

Scientists say a cure for alcoholism could be on the horizon thanks to the remarkable discovery of neurons in the brain that play a role in whether one glass of wine turns into a bottle. Texas A&M researchers explain the part of your brain known as the dorsomedial striatum contains neurons with spiny protrusions, each with two types of dopamine receptors. One type, called D1, encourages action but is structurally altered when large amounts of alcohol are consumed. The alteration causes the neurons to activate with less stimulation and the result is a vicious circle: Drinking alcohol causes easier activation and activation tells your brain to keep drinking. "If these neurons are excited, you will want to drink alcohol," lead author Jun Wang explains in a release. "You'll have a craving."

The study in the Journal of Neuroscience explains mice brains exposed to booze had more mature protrusions in D1 neurons compared to brains that weren't exposed to the stuff. Mice with more mature protrusions—where long-term memories are stored—downed large amounts of alcohol when given the chance. However, when the mice were given a drug to block the D1 receptor, cravings diminished. "This is the major finding," says Wang. "D1 receptors are essential for alcohol consumption" and "if we suppress this activity, we're able to suppress alcohol consumption." Wang adds his "ultimate goal is to understand how the addicted brain works … and once we do, one day, we'll be able to suppress the craving for another round of drinks and ultimately, stop the cycle of alcoholism."

Old 09-04-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't see it as a cure for alcoholism, but a useful tool to help people with cravings and urges. Much of what drove me to drink will still be there, alcohol or not. Would I go back to drinking with a "cure"? No, I don't think so
Old 09-04-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

it thought it sounded good too until I remembered my own experience sobriety based on will power. I stayed dry for quite a while and became more and more miserable., eventually returning to my old solution. Simply removing alcohol was not sufficient. The idea of stopping the craving is only part of the problem. The craving leads to over indulging, but that would never be an issue if we didn't take the first drink.
I suppose it might be a device to help an alcoholic "control" their drinking, but what would be the point of that. Moderate drinking was never of any interest to me. Often it was worse than no drink at all.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gosh, wouldn't it be wonderful though?! Good on them for trying, and if it helps someone a bit or a lot, fantastic!!!

Really interesting - thanks :-)
Old 09-04-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Frankly, I think it would be great if science came up with something to stave off cravings. It would be fantastic to be able to go out with people to dinner or a party, and have one or two drinks and be satisfied. Absolutely no interest in a third drink, no cravings or withdrawals the next day. It would certainly improve my social situation!! Probably won't happen in my lifetime, but if it did, I'd certainly consider it. John
Old 09-05-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I remember Scott saying something yesterday about they'l proberly find a cure one day

Thing is though as Scott said the cure is already here in the form of recovery

I hope I've said that right I don't mean a cure but you know what I mean we don't have to wait anyone can recover anytime they want
Old 09-05-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I love how science zooms in on 1 aspect of something and just assumes if they fix that they can solve the larger bigger more complex problem. If it was all about this d1 receptor then maybe but its a much more complicated thing then one receptor.

Reminds me of a book out there this one doctor wrote where he talkes about how its important to eat the whole foods and realize theres a LOT more to an apple say then its fiber content or simply its vitamin c content. You cant just replace an apple with a vitamin c pill or a fiber supplement. theres all sorts of other things that apple provides to zoom in on one ingrediant and think that that alone is all the apple is about is naive.

Its like a fish oil supplement or something you know why not eat that pill rather then eat the foods that have the same good things? theres more good stuff in the foods.

It surely might help a bit but I doubt it would be a solution accross the board.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Naltrexone is already out there and widely used as a craving suppressor in alcohol treatment, including the Sinclair method that tries to turn pickled addicts back into moderating cucumbers. I know it helps some people, and I know one person in particular who felt it was very valuable, so there's something there.

But as others point out, alcohol addiction is a complex problem that probably won't be solved just by taking a drug and moving on with your life with no other changes. That would be an addict's dream, just take some pills and keep 'on drinking, huzzah.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read the same study. I guess it can provide a glimmer of hope for some. But in reality, its probably backed by big pharma, and see it (another pill) as a cash cow. My 2 cents.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The "quest for a cure" is a perennial topic here on SR.

I've got mixed feelings.

Addiction costs lives. It wrecks the lives of those around the addict. It exacts a terrible toll in terms of societal costs (including health care), public safety and the lost potential of the human being. So could there be tremendous benefit to a medical treatment for addiction? Absolutely.

Wolfie -- who quoted Scott -- makes a good point. There is a cure available. It's called sobriety and recovery. I also believe that turning to another substance to "cure" us sort of misses the point. We need to recreate ourselves as people who finding meaning and hope in life without substances.

A life of substance ... without substances.

And just a word of caution. Discoveries in lab mice can be a helpful early development. Even if we look back and see that this was the beginning of a breakthrough, it would take years -- decades, probably -- before any pharmaceutical could be used to treat addiction.

Today, we can choose sobriety.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I agree that it's a more complex problem than simply reducing or removing cravings. I know what it's like to "just not drink"; I was miserable too when I did it that way. And I never wanted just 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 either; I drank to get drunk, otherwise, what's the point? Drinking was the answer to my problems; if I take care of those, I don't need to drink.

Funny, when I was still in the problem earlier this year, I asked my doctor about Naltrexone and he told me it isn't used for alcoholism. I guess I keep more up to date on research than he does.

Now I don't feel I need anything like that anyway, I've got something that's working well for me.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

zjw
I completely agree that alcoholism is a very complex issue and that the underlying reasons that cause people to want to drink would still need to be addressed. It's like any social issue. Simply dealing with the obvious isn't going to change the root cause of the problem. Being able to become a social drinker doesn't mean you are now a healthy person. Continued work would still be necessary. John
Old 09-05-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

Funny, when I was still in the problem earlier this year, I asked my doctor about Naltrexone and he told me it isn't used for alcoholism. I guess I keep more up to date on research than he does.
I spoke to one such physician who told me i should never question my physicians advice for he is the expert. I said but what if he is wrong? Oh how could be be I was told he's the expert and i'm nothing but a dumb patient basicly and should take his word as gospel since he's a physician. I said Ok well you recomended Lipitor for my high Choleseterol but my physician told me to try and fix it with diet. Who was right and who was wrong? you freaked out upon hearing he did not immediatly prescribe me with lipitor. Then I fixed the problem with diet on my own after you told me it was impossible that with my genetics i would never win and would be on lipitor all my days.

This physician recomending the lipitor in my case was my grandfather even. He still didnt feel that I had proved my point that its important to be an educated patient etc..

Physicians are great but its important to have half an idea whats up and get a second opinion if your unsure. Look at my case hte most trustworth physician i know and I lost all faith in the man in just a few hours discussing various medical things one afternoon
Old 09-05-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

zjw
I know what you mean about needing to be an informed patient. A while back I was having severe back pain. Could barely walk upright. The pain was unreal. He said the only thing that could be done was back surgery. Back then, that was considered major surgery, with many risks.
I chose to ignore his opinion and do what I could to work on it myself. It took a lot of work and dealing with a lot of pain, but I can say that today, I rarely have any back problems.
Doctors know a lot, but they don't know everything, and their not always right. John
Old 09-05-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anything that helps with pop-up cravings is good.

But, there is a distinction to be made between craving the actual drink, and the desire to feel drunk.

If we take the feeling of intoxication off off the table, two things are left. The flavors you can only get in alcoholic beverages and the feeling of inclusion in drinking situations. Honestly, neither of these have enough power to make many folks cruise for a rock-bottom.

If not in active chemical dependency, the real bugger is the desire to be intoxicated. There are those that love it the first time, those that get accustomed to it, and those that just don't find it fun at all.

Unless they medicate everyone from birth, some folks are going to fall in the trap.

I think that pharms may be great as an assist. If possible, though, more solid recovery lies in finding out why we each fly towards the flame.

Running from something or grasping for something, alcohol is just not a sustainable solution. Acceptance of this renders cravings down to nuisance levels.