Notices

yet another thread...

Old 09-03-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Keep on keeping on. Post away. We are all here for you. Do whatever it takes to keep on. You are doing great.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful

Hi sleepie,

Right after I got sober I went on a benzo taper after being on Klonopin/Ativan for over 10 years (prescribed). I can relate to the fears of wondering how you will be able to handle the anxiety once your taper is done as I felt the same way. What you may not realize is that you are already starting to handle the anxiety with a much reduced dosage. When I went from that last small dosage to nothing it was really just a mental thing, not actually experiencing an increase in anxiety from that last jump to nothing.

I would suggest taking this opportunity while you are still on the taper to try and learn some natural ways to alleviate the anxiety you may still feel (breathing, exercise, hot bath/shower, talking about it with someone close). Also my Pdoc gave me a small supply (6 tabs) with no refills to have handy in case I had a full blown panic attack. We called it a "break glass in case of emergency" supply. Amazingly I have yet to have to "break the glass" in over two years now.

You can do this! I know it's not easy, but it's doable and gets easier with time. I think the biggest thing that has helped me is to learn what issues cause my anxiety and find ways to fix those issues. The biggest one was drinking and the craziness that came with it. The longer I stay sober the easier it has been to deal with any residual anxiety I have. It sounds like you are already making good progress with that at 8 weeks sober. Alcohol was the #1 cause of most of my anxiety, so stay strong and stay sober.