Notices

A.A.'s Circle & Triangle

Old 09-02-2004, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A.A.'s Circle & Triangle

THE A.A. CIRCLE & TRIANGLE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABSI, p. 307

Circle and Triangle

Above us, at the International Convention at St. Louis in 1955, floated a banner on which was inscribed the then new symbol for A.A., a circle enclosing a triangle. The circle stands for the whole world of A.A., and the triangle stands for A.A.’s Three Legacies: Recovery, Unity, and Service.

It is perhaps no accident that priests and seers of antiquity regarded this symbol as a means of warding off spirits of evil.

<< << << >> >> >>

When, in 1955, we oldtimers turned over our Three Legacies to the whole movement, nostalgia for the old days blended with gratitude for the great day in which I was now living. No more would it be necessary for me to act for, decide for, or protect A.A.

For a moment, I dreaded the coming change. But this mood quickly passed. The conscience of A.A. as moved by the guidance of God could be depended upon to insure A.A.’s future. Clearly my job henceforth was to let go and let God.

A.A. COMES OF AGE

1. P. 139

2. PP. 46, 48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABSI, p.155
Built by the One and the Many
We give thanks to our Heavenly Father, who, through so many friends and through so many means and channels, has allowed us to construct this wonderful edifice of the spirit in which we are now dwelling--this cathedral whose foundations already rest upon the corners of the earth.

On its great floor we have inscribed our Twelve Steps of recovery. On the side walls, the buttresses of the A.A. Traditions have been set in place to contain us in unity for as long as God may will it so. Eager hearts and hands have lifted the spire of our cathedral into place. That spire bears the name of Service. May it ever point straight upward toward God.

<< << << >> >> >>

"It is not only to the few that we owe the remarkable developments in our unity and in our ability to carry A.A.'s message everywhere. It is to the many; indeed, it is to the labors of all of us that we owe these prime blessings."

1. A.A. COMES OF AGE, P. 234

2. TALK, 1959

May the Sunlight of His Spirit shine throughout this fellowship and touch each of your Heart's. We have been entrusted with a great Gift. Our responsibility is to protect it with vigilance & serve by applying His divine principles embodied within the A.A.Circle & Triangle.

(((((((SR A-Z #'s included))))))) :ilu
Three Legs
:tri
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Revolving%20AA%20ring[1].gif (18.5 KB, 1797 views)
Old 09-03-2004, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi 3legacy,

The Circle and the Triangle are no longer an official symbol for AA. AAWS stopped using the Circle and the Triangle, I believe in 1993 or around then due to lawsuit.

AA members are free to use the symbol as is anyone, but it is no longer used by Alcoholics Anonymous as its official symbol.

I felt terrible, as did many AA'ers when that news came.

Patsy
Old 09-03-2004, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Patsy:
As the literature I posted is still AA literature and as the Spirit of the Circle & Triangle's use was intended by early A.A.'s, I grateful to be able to use it even though its no longer a "registered trademark". Lot of outside agencies, marketors, etc... trying to make money off of AA, AA members, and the generic recovery market that is being created. Knowing AA seldom if ever litigates, some folks I consider greedy take advantage of Alcoholics Anonymous and have used us for their cottage industries.

(((((((((((Patsy)))))))))) I would have given you a bunch of good Karma the past couple days if I had the availability, but it seems that game is no longer being played here presently.

Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service and keep sharing as you see fit even if its minority opinion to some of the half-measures crew. LOL
Oppps I think I see one of those with a lurking notion still lurking! You got somebody following you around the boards too?

Three Legs
Old 09-04-2004, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3legacy
Patsy:
As the literature I posted is still AA literature and as the Spirit of the Circle & Triangle's use was intended by early A.A.'s, I grateful to be able to use it even though its no longer a "registered trademark". Lot of outside agencies, marketors, etc... trying to make money off of AA, AA members, and the generic recovery market that is being created. Knowing AA seldom if ever litigates, some folks I consider greedy take advantage of Alcoholics Anonymous and have used us for their cottage industries.

(((((((((((Patsy)))))))))) I would have given you a bunch of good Karma the past couple days if I had the availability, but it seems that game is no longer being played here presently.

Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service and keep sharing as you see fit even if its minority opinion to some of the half-measures crew. LOL
Oppps I think I see one of those with a lurking notion still lurking! You got somebody following you around the boards too?

Three Legs
(((((((((((((((((3legacy))))))))))))))))))))

Patsy
Old 09-04-2004, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Clarify???

I have been going to AA for 6 months and I am very grateful. What exactly happened in 1955?? I am confused??
Old 09-05-2004, 12:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

http://www.barefootsworld.net/aa2ndintl1955.html

"This was the occasion on which Bill [W.] formally turned over the stewardship of A.A. to the General Service Conference, giving up his own official leadership and acknowledging that A.A. was responsible for its own affairs."
Old 09-05-2004, 12:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Clarification

Humble:
Congratulations on 6 months sober. Have you a Sponsor & Home Group in A.A. yet? They may be better able to clarify what happened exactly in 1955 than I could. I loaned out a copy of a wonderful book published by AA that can also answer, in greater detail, your question.

It's called -

Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age
A BRIEF HISTORY OF A.A.[/

My Home Group has copy's available for check out and purchase. This book was also required reading by my Sponsor as I asked many questions as to how, why, and in just what way A.A. determined how to operate effectively in such an unconventional sense as an organization/society.

Besides what is in the first post, best I can really do to answer your question is to say-

1) We of Alcoholics Anonymous held our 20th Anniversary Convention in St. Louis. I believe it was the first week of July, 1955.

2) Our Three Legacies of Recovery, Unity & Service were turned over to US/WE, the movement/members of Alcoholics Anonymous , by our founders & oldtimers.

3) We accepted the responsibility for ourselves! This happened approximately 9 months after the Alcoholic Foundation had become our General Service Board. Dr. Bob had passed on in November of 1950, leaving Bill W. as pretty much our only link to the Foundation. Prior to his passing on, Dr. Bob had given his blessing to the proposed structure which Bill W. and Bernard Smith had devised which would link our individuals participating in our AA Groups to the Foundation which eventually was to become the General Service Board.

(((((((Humble))))))) Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,
Three Legs
Old 09-05-2004, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by humble
I have been going to AA for 6 months and I am very grateful. What exactly happened in 1955?? I am confused??

Congratulations on 6 months of sobriety Humble, thats great!

The following is a segment taken from AA Historical Data

THE BIRTH OF A.A. AND ITS GROWTH IN U.S./CANADA

"By 1950, 100,000 recovered alcoholics could be found worldwide. Spectacular though this was, the period 1940-1950 was nonetheless one of great uncertainty. The crucial question was whether all those mercurial alcoholics could live and work together in groups. Could they hold together and function effectively? This was the unsolved problem. Corresponding with thousands of groups about their problems became a chief occupation of the New York headquarters.

By 1946, however, it had already become possible to draw sound conclusions about the kinds of attitude, practice and function that would best suit A.A.'s purpose. Those principles, which had emerged from strenuous group experience, were codified by Bill in what are today the Twelve Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous. By 1950, the earlier chaos had largely disappeared. A successful formula for A.A. unity and functioning had been achieved and put into practice. (See The Structure of A.A.General Service in U.S./Canada.)
During this hectic ten-year period, Dr. Bob devoted himself to the question of hospital care for alcoholics, and to their indoctrination with A.A. principles. Large numbers of alcoholics flocked to Akron to receive hospital care at St. Thomas, a Catholic hospital. Dr. Bob became a member of its staff.

Subsequently, he and the remarkable Sister M. Ignatia, also of the staff, cared for and brought A.A. to some 5,000 sufferers. After Dr. Bob's death in 1950, Sister Ignatia continued to work at Cleveland's Charity Hospital, where she was assisted by the local groups and where 10,000 more sufferers first found A.A. This set a fine example of hospitalization wherein A.A. could cooperate with both medicine and religion.

In this same year of 1950, A.A. held its first International Convention at Cleveland. There, Dr. Bob made his last appearance and keyed his final talk to the need of keeping A.A. simple. Together with all present, he saw the Twelve Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous enthusiastically adopted for the permanent use of the A.A. Fellowship throughout the world. (He died on November 16, 1950.)

The following year witnessed still another significant event. The New York office had greatly expanded its activities, and these now consisted of public relations, advice to new groups, services to hospitals, prisons, Loners, and Internationalists, and cooperation with other agencies in the alcoholism field. The headquarters was also publishing "standard" A.A. books and pamphlets, and it supervised their translation into other tongues. Our international magazine, the A.A. Grapevine, had achieved a large circulation. These and many other activities had become indispensable for A.A. as a whole.

Nevertheless, these vital services were still in the hands of an isolated board of trustees, whose only link to the Fellowship had been Bill and Dr. Bob. As the co-founders had foreseen years earlier, it became absolutely necessary to link A.A.'s world trusteeship (now the General Service Board of Alcoholics Anonymous) with the Fellowship that it served. Delegates from all states and provinces of the U.S. and Canada were forthwith called in.

Thus composed, this body for world service first met in 1951. Despite earlier misgivings, the gathering was a great success. For the first time, the remote trusteeship became directly accountable to A.A. as a whole. The A.A. General Service Conference had been created, and A.A.'s over-all functioning was thereby assured for the future.

A second International Convention was held in St. Louis in 1955 to celebrate the Fellowship's 20th anniversary. The General Service Conference had by then completely proved its worth. Here, on behalf of A.A.'s old-timers, Bill turned the future care and custody of A.A. over to the Conference and its trustees. At this moment, the Fellowship went on its own; A.A. had come of age."
Old 09-05-2004, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, all, for helping to clarify this for me. It looks as though a lot of people have worked har for the good of AA. I am very thankful for AA as I could not quit drinking on my own. I tried often. The fellowship works.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stand for something, or you may fall for everything!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out!
Your primary purpose may be preservation of your own ego, and that is not necessarily ours.
With the proliferation of the NA symbol and the anti-AA sentiment abounding these days on many threads not just some in this forum, I will add my own simple Circle & Triangle in symbolism of my gratitude for A.A.'s Three Legacies of RECOVERY, UNITY, & SERVICE.

The smilie/emoticon for the simple Circle & Triangle disappeared on SR a shortwhile back. No, probably not black helicopters, but I still await trusted servants willing to answer a few questions I've politely asked over the past couple months about issues of censorship, stalking & banning, etc... to no avail.

Our gift of the Three Legacies in A.A., in my opinion(humble or otherwise), were God given. Although frequently battered, bashed & beaten by those I feel may be a bit misguided, there are still a few willing to go before the "posse" of assaults & remain vigilant in the simple preservation of this God-given gift. Your vigilance & true humility is well noted and greatly appreciated.

Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,
3 Legacy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Balance.jpg (4.5 KB, 1570 views)
Old 03-31-2005, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its a top secret conspiracy for a Coup they been working on with some people from The NA World Service Office in Van Nuys California.Thank God I am a Grateful member of both programs.And I have learned not to take other peoples inventory.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((((((((T2S)))))))))
It would appear to me you do quite well at taking others inventories. Seen it elsewhere on the boards andjust in this reply I see your own judgemental nature. It shows quite visibly to me anyways, but so be it. Whether you choose to wear a variety of hats will not confuse me, but I've personally seen it confuse quite a few others. I hope and pray WE can keep learning together or seperately depending upon which hat your wearing on which day.

(((((((((T2S)))))))))))
Kiss Heart of Spirit in Love & Service,
3 Legacy
Old 03-31-2005, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dan

Let's put a sign up.
"Approved avatars only".
Old 03-31-2005, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Lightbulb

AA COMES OF AGE

St. Louis has a big weekend the first weekend of Nov 4th, 5th and 6th. Myself and some members from my home group have talked about attending this event.

Any one else in the area, let me know if you're going. It'd be nice to meet some people from S/R

chris
Old 03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Let's put a sign up.
"Approved avatars only".
Old 03-31-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I remember when I was around 10 years sober listening to this woman's chair. She went on about how there were as many ways to look at the program as there were people in AA. As she talked my blood boiled. I wanted to strangle this heinous bitch. When she finished I told her in no uncertain terms that this was not about MY interpretation, but about THE interpretation and I banged on in full throttle about the steps being numbered for a reason, blah, blah. When I finished she sat back and calmly said, "well there's another way to look at it". Now I wanted to strangle her, but slowly. For her crimes against the way I knew AA was meant to be.

I did not realise at this time that I was in fact behaving in a manner destructive to helping newcomers. I was putting their backs up by ordering them about how they should feel. I was also ignorant to the fact that I had no moral or human right or law to impose any view onto people, no matter how clever and manipulative I was about it. Worse still, my actions were the very opposite of the intent of AA.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

With the proliferation of the NA symbol and the anti-AA sentiment abounding these days on many threads not just some in this forum, I will add my own simple Circle & Triangle in symbolism of my gratitude for A.A.'s Three Legacies of RECOVERY, UNITY, & SERVICE.
Really? I understand the debates between faith based programs and secular ones because their philosophies are at odds, but two 12 Step programs? What's the beef?

Andy, as someone who has been on the receiving end, I agree with you 100%

Doorknob
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by doorknob
Really? I understand the debates between faith based programs and secular ones because their philosophies are at odds...
You raise a good point. I know what you mean Doorknob, but I don't necessarily buy it.
Inasmuch as the goal of any program is to foster in the individual happiness in sobriety, wouldn't mutual respect among different philosophies be logical?
Probably a utopian statement on my part, considering...

As long as I can manage to treat others with differing views with respect and dignity, then I am not out of line in expecting respect returned to me.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
As long as I can manage to treat others with differing views with respect and dignity, then I am not out of line in expecting respect returned to me.
Very true Dan! Plus you won't get banned....

Doorknob
Old 03-31-2005, 03:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

AA and NA around this area also seem to have some animosity towards each other and some amount of bashing goes on between the two. On the other hand, Kaiser Permanente's chemical dependency programs in CA offer both AA and LifeRing meetings on site side by side, have reps from both organizations give presentations and haven't had any problems (so they say).

Doorknob