Notices

Work weekend hath come

Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work weekend hath come

While I have been successful at maintaining my sobriety from last weekend to now, the big challenge is right on the horizon.

I tend to binge drink hard come the weekend. After work today will be a big test for me. If I can keep my mind occupied and put myself to a task other than drinking and "chilling" while driving home and avoid the liqour store, I should be in the clear today.

One day at a time right? I got this.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Not drinking one day at a time worked fine for me until it didn't. What was really happening was that I was in a constant battle with the compulsion to drink and I was using on day, one hour one minute as a delaying tactic, but without any other action, I found it unsustainable.

I learned that I had to take some action to remove that compulsion/obsession to gain permanent sobriety. ODAAT bought me some time to do the work, but was not a solution in itself.

There is also a distinction between this typ of ODAAT and that in the AA program. The later refers to a 24 hour plan for living which will ensure the obsession/compulsion stays away.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stay busy!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's no law against going to bed early, or waking up early.

This helped me in the beginning. I just celebrated the weekends with big dinners and skipped my usual night life. Then I found myself getting up at 8 or 9 and being OK with the world. My wife and I do things and go places in the morning (kayacks on the lake last Sunday). It was gorgeous. I would have just not been able to enjoy this all anxious and hungover.