Notices

When does my sleep cycle normalize?

Old 08-25-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

When does my sleep cycle normalize?

Competing day two of sobriety. Last night I had a rough night sleeping without booze. Sorta took naps but woke up enough to see every hour on the clock. Rode my bike to work and home again after doing an 11-hour shift. Did a 30-minute run this evening so I'm pretty much beat. Cooking some food for my lunches this week and then off to bed around 8pm (I get up around 3-ish).

So at what point will I be able to node off as soon as my head hits the pillow, just like the old days? A week? More?

The doctor did give me a prescription to Ambien a few years ago but only used it once. I hate the way it makes me feel in the morning.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

I finally slept on night 6 (last night). Try some valerian root. You can get it at most drug places. Seemed to help me. Hot Sleepy Time tea and a few chapters in my Bible really get me tired.

Hypo
Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Depending on your physiology, the length and amount you drank, and how quickly your body detoxes, it can be a few days or it could be weeks. Glutamine rebound was brutal for me, and given my propensity for binging, I could go two to three weeks before my sleep schedule normalized.

Melatonin supplements can be purchased over the counter. Other methods such as meditation, deep breathing, etc give people some success. You're exercising, which is a good start. Good nutrition will also help immensely.

I've found that something light in the background helps. I pay attention to it rather than letting my mind race. CNN was helpful five years ago, since it was their overnight, overseas coverage. Now, believe it or not, it's usually Coast to Coast AM. Drifting off while listening to Noory talk about UFOs and ghosts, and the Illuminati and other fringe stuff entertains me to no end.

(The aliens watch me sleep... :-P)
Old 08-25-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! Since its been forever I went more than one day sober, I'm hoping tonight I'm more rested.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hard to tell Orion. I would say usually a week it gets better but perhaps up to a few months to fall into that deep 8-hour sleep. But everyone is different. Just remember one thing - the worry and the booze will kill you. Being a bit tired after a fitful night's sleep is nothing. The clear headed feeling is worth it all by itself. You are so much better a bit tired than you were hung over so either way you are way ahead. Sleep will come Orion.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me between a week and 10 days to establish a new sleeping pattern. Stick with it Orion

D
Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks!! It doesn't help that its still a bit light outside when I hit the sack either.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great Orion
Old 08-25-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been awake before for 4 days coming off a binge. I mean no sleep at all, period, nada!At around a week I'd see good sleep.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It really does depend. If you are a pretty sound sleeper normally, it may regulate soon. But for me, I've had bad sleeping patterns for years which I attribute to my drinking (sleeping drunk isn't restful sleep and doing it over a long period of time is bad for your system). Anyway, today is day 40 for me, and I swear, this is the first day where I slept the whole night and actually felt somewhat rested today.

I've read it can take days to months. Again each person is different. The good thing, it will get better. Just gotta keep at it.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It took a LOT longer for it to "normalize" for me than the posts above and, if I'm completely honest, it still isn't what most ppl would consider "normal" even now, 8 years later.

I did learn how to quit caring......quit worrying about it, though. It doesn't matter if most ppl tell me my sleeping patterns are "bad." It works just fine for me. That's where the freedom came - letting go of the burden - felt even better than getting the type of sleeping habits I thought I needed to feel ok.

So Orion, it could change sooner....or it could change later.....or maybe it won't change for years. No way to know. What you can do, though, is learn how to accept it for what it is and get on with a happy and productive live regardless of how "normal" your sleep patterns are.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble sleeping. Congrats on your 2 days. That's a big step in the right direction. Personally, I am 4 years sober and I still have trouble sleeping. The sleep has gotten better and easier though. I know in the beginning it is very hard. Just know that it will get better with time. Try to stay positive. Best of luck to you
Old 08-25-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Almost 4 months sober and not sleeping well yet. But it's better. Some nights.
I wish good rest to you!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sleep balances out eventually maybe a month
Old 08-27-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Now on day 4. Last night I slept the best I've had so far. A smidge groggy getting up but I'm not hitting the snooze button 10 times!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Orion you are Amazing
Old 08-31-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

1 week down!! Sleeping is going a lot better. Averaging a bit over 6 hours during the week. Things started to get better around day 5.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Took me about 10 days for sleep to get more normal. I've never been a great sleeper anyway but I found after 10 days I started getting into a regular sleeping routine. Melatonin can be helpful early on
Old 08-31-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are improving Orion

D
Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

51 days for me and still not sleeping properly. I sleep well once i fall asleep but toss and turn for sometimes hours at a time... Hoping it gets better quickly for you. Well done 1 week sober!! That's great