Notices

Dreams?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams?

Anyone have stupid dreams during recovery?

I'll have dreams im in a zombie apocalypse and wake up scared which is weird because when I drank I use to not care about those dreams (I watch way too many movies like that, stopped though after I quit).

I'll then have dreams about something nonsensical, for example I finally make it to a store to buy something awesome and then I forgot my wallet on my way back at my car, and I'm like what? Then i wake up nervous

I know we've all had this dream, relapse! I dream that I'm driving to the store or I bought my drink of choice and I'm about to drink it then I wake up!

Anyone have this experience? Also, did it ever get better? I seem to have this happen almost everyday since a few weeks ago. I can usually get back to sleep but I seem to wake up every 2-3 hours then by morning I'm just exhausted like I can sleep 10 more hours. I try to get 9 hours tops so I go to bed around 9-10 then wake up 7am for work.

I don't take any medication for sleep and it usually doesn't take me long to get to sleep at all.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes !!!! They will fade
Old 08-24-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the response,

I just get discouraged as I lay down sleepy and actually feel okay ready to sleep then I keep getting woke up by these annoying dreams that keep me thinking. I then tell myself okay they are just dreams nothing more and its all in your head which sort of helps. I just hate constantly feeling like this every night, really sets my mood off for the day.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mostly just recurring dreams about past traumas and anxiety related stuff.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

relapse dreams are something. they dont happen often anymore but whenever i had a dream that i relapsed and drank i was always so dissappointed with myself in the dream but if i had a dream where i smoked cigarettes or something I always found that enjoyable go figure.

I had one really wierd one once where I dreamed my real life sobriety was actually indeed all just a dream So i woek up having achieved a few years sobriety only to realize It was all just a dream and i was back to day 1 again. That had to of been the cruelest dream I ever had. All the struggle to remain sober for a couple years in this dream the whole 2+ years of events etc.. only to wake up within a dream that it was all just a dream and back to day 1. It was awful would make a good movie story tho. Thankfully I woke up and really indeed had the 2+ year sobriety in real life.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had regular relapse dreams the first 6 months or so, and occasionally I'll get one now, 5 years in, but they are extremely rare. Mostly, mine were dreams about being on the verge of drinking and fighting it, like some evil force trying to force a relapse, then waking up scared and wondering if I had in fact relapsed. They fade over time.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Dreams are odd at times arent they ?
The 'drinking'dreams have faded for the most part, an occasional one now and again, the best part of them is waking and realizing it wasn't true.
Actually had a weird one the other night even commented on it to my wife. I was volunteered or elected as mayor of 'my town', though it wasn't my town , I was adopting the position after my sister in law , who wasn't my really my sil because she kept morphing into my first grade teacher, only younger in the dream than she was when I knew her. The ceremony was being held at a house that had a glass second floor, so you could see the first floor through it, I thought it was weird that the furniture changed when viewed from 'upstairs', but not surprised at the glass floor, go figure. The weirdest part was the apprehension I was feeling about having to refuse the champagne toast , that I had the sense was traditional . So yeah dreams are weird, right ? Or should I look into seeing someone?
Old 08-24-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had some very vivid dreams but I kinda got sober before Zombie became a thing

They are very common , and they will fade, in time, Holds

D
Old 08-24-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to have frequent nightmares, but they've subsided in recovery. Usually, unpleasant dreams now are a reflection of what's worrying me in my day to day life.

Alcohol is so bad for us it won't even leave us alone when we sleep.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all,

I had a better sleep last night, not perfect but I slept longer than usual. Had a dumb dream that didn't mean anything.

I still can't shake waking up anxious no matter what I do which I'm going to bring up at my appointment. Still I know, give it time...