Notices

the family curse, is it real

Old 08-23-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the family curse, is it real

My dad is still an alcoholic, his brother died of alcohism, on my mothers side her dad was an alcoholic, her brother is an alcoholic.

I have never lived with my dad so cant use that as an excuse. My mum has never drank

And theres me. Im a sober alcoholic, been sober a while now.

Is it hereditory or is it just coincidence.

I have 3 nephews and i hate them to end up like me. I really hope they never touch alcohol but i guess they will have to make there own mistakes like we all do. Just hope they dont get adicted
Old 08-23-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholismn does seem to run in some families but in others it just seems to come from nowhere.

The important thing is there is a solution - and we've found it boris.
Good on you and your sober time

D
Old 08-23-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcoholic

Alcoholism is definitely a curse in my family. Granny, Dad, Mum, Uncle, Aunt, Brother, Myself.

But no one talked about alcoholism and problem drinking when I was younger. No one steered me away from the cliff that they must surely have known lay before me. Instead they normalized and promoted problem drinking.

Yes, I think we all need to take personal responsibility. But as an aware adult / parent, I think we need to ensure the next generation has the best possible chance at avoiding alcohol. This starts with a solid foundation: My personal sobriety.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Whatever the cause I have it and it is my responsibility to treat it
Old 08-23-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

A lot of people in my family drink, but I wouldn't consider them to be alcoholics. I'm the odd duck I guess, but I'm fine with that now. My family is fine with it too.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have alcoholism in my family too. My brother and father are alcoholics. So I do have the "gene" you could say. My natural state when drinking is to drink as much as I can as often as I can. That's just how my brain operates. It's programmed like that and it'll never change. The nice thing is though, when I don't take that first drink, I don't suffer from this problem. When I was drinking, I thought that people saying this was a huge load of BS and that they were exaggerating and they were secretly craving a drink. I haven't had a drink in over a year and now I've learned through experience that it's true. I can't control my father's drinking or my brother's drinking but I can control mine by not drinking alcohol.

If it sounds like it's easy, it sure wasn't in the beginning but it's gotten way, way easier over the course of the year. I am comfortable as a non-drinker. You can be too. Is it easy now after a year? I'd actually say....yeah, it's pretty easy to maintain my sobriety. That's a nice surprise. As you can see though, I'm still here checking in and doing my homework. You know what was really hard? Trying to maintain a daily work and family life with hangovers and drinking heavily. That was what was truly hard.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mpr

Luckily there is a cure - don't drink.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All over both sides of the family.
Jealous of my boyfriend who's family has it too and when they saw him starting to go down the same road they told him it had to stop. They cared.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My Dad was.
I have two kids, one will keep a bag of candy for days the other minutes. I see it in her. One is not enough, 100000 to many. The beast.
Unlike me she will have someone to show her early on how to tame it.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Totally understand congrats on your sobriety

With every curse there is a gift
Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes my family has it,

It stops with me if I have anything to say about it.

I used to drink and my boys would be hanging around me during the evening just playing or what not (ages 4 and 8) and I'd look at them and think, "I wonder if they will be doing this when they get older, I hope not" They look up to me quite a bit too

I'm glad I quit and I will stop this curse as best as I can.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe it's real. It's all over my fathers side of the family. I've had numerous relatives die as a direct or indirect (if there is such a thing) result of there alcohol use. I'm determined not to be one of them!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It seems like it is. Whether it's heredity or environment I don't know. My mother was adopted so I don't know about her side. No alcoholics on my fathers side. I sure as hell have it.