Notices

Those stupid ideas....

Old 08-22-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Those stupid ideas....

Okay anyone have any stupid, embarassing habits/routines when drinking?

For example Id get courage and argue on youtube videos and facebook! Any topics ranging from evolution/creationism to nostalgic movies. Id wake up the next morning with my inbox full of hate mail and the feeling of "ugh why did I even say that??"

That alone is enough to make me glad Im sober

Trying to keep it light here just small stupid things like that, anyone else?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I can't count the number of times I woke up and was embarrassed or ashamed of the things I had said the night before. Ugh, the anxiety.

Do not miss that!
Old 08-23-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
I can't count the number of times I woke up and was embarrassed or ashamed of the things I had said the night before. Ugh, the anxiety.

Do not miss that!
This.

Logging on to Facebook the next morning to see what damage I'd caused was always awful. So embarassing. Glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did plenty of the same. But for some reason, while trying to remember all my drunken stupid ideas (which were a boat load)......I remembered sometimes when I'd wake up and get this really odd "proud" feeling if I got drunk the night before and nothing stupid/bad happened! "See, you can control yourself" So in my mind, I could continue the drink, no problem to see over here!

Last edited by InTheEnd; 08-23-2015 at 03:50 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-23-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never got rowdy or out of hand or anything. What would embarrass me would be when someone would bring up a conversation we had and I had absolutely no memory. They'd be like "we just talked about this last night"...
Old 08-23-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All of the above plus..
Writing long 'to do' lists. All the odd jobs, shopping I need to buy, Admin I need to do etc. Which I would defenitly get done the next day.
I would then spend the whole of the next day in bed avoiding the world.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your not alone we have all done silly things while drunk the things ppl told me I done I scared me back then

5000% them days never have to return you have us bud
Old 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was a combination of Ric Flair and Sam Elliott when I was loaded. A real ladies man, and a cowboy gentleman to boot.

Because what's sexier than a stumbling, bumbling, moronic goofus from Wyoming slurring "You look real pretty tonigh, miss," over his next boilermaker?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As a general rule when I got drunk I would not log on to facebook and turned my cell phone off. But I would post on SR, pretty stupid huh?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have done terrible and hurtful things whilst drunk. Lied, swore etc etc.

These are the reasons i cant drink again. It definatly brings my inner devil out
Old 08-23-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

Yeah liquid bravery I'd tell my wife what I really thought I mean I guess I was honest but I could shut up. I'd also impulsively shop for whatever online.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never engaged in social media rants or mishaps, but I had plenty of real life interactions while drinking that left much to be desired.

I do not miss that.

I hated all of the inflated emotions and enthusiasms when drinking. Exaggerated elation that was chemically induced. Real emotions and genuine responses have taken the place of sloppy drunken reactions to things and people.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
😇

I'd say things to people of the opposite sex that I wouldn't remember and wouldn't mean. Dunno why besides being blackout drunk. Lots of amends to be made to their significant others.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I had to choose my worst habit when I was drinking every night was with Facebook, email, and texting. This took my alcoholism from private to public even though I drank at home alone.

I would post the most horrifying things in blackouts and I wouldn't remember until the next morning. Often I'd wake up at 5 am, my heart pounding with fear and dread. What had I posted? What had I sent? Who had I called?

The messages/posts ranged from stuff that I thought was funny (but was actually inappropriate), "I hate my life" posts, "I hate you" posts, "I hate my job" posts, and many, many other horrifying things.

I have written emails to friends and acquaintances at 2 am with so my F-words it would make Sam Kinison blush. I wish that was funny but it really isn't. Sometimes it was a rant about my own life but often it was filled with personal attacks and rage. Pure rage and I didn't even know where it was coming from. It wasn't stuff I wanted to say sober but couldn't. It was stuff that was completely different than what I would normally say. I would have written "I hate puppies and kittens" if I had enough to drink. Just pure, unfiltered rage.

The worst feeling I have ever experienced is the fear and regret the next morning. No worse feeling in my 33 years of life. Here are the ways I would try to do damage control:

Facebook: This was before smart phones so I would go to the computer, heart pounding and head throbbing, tears starting in my eyes. I would quickly type in "facebook.com" and log in. Often just tapping the button nearly made my heart stop to load the page. I would see how many notifications there were. Eight? Ten? Fifteen? How many people had seen my post? Sometimes there were zero notifications and that would almost scare me more. Was what I posted so despicable that nobody even responded?

I would take a piece of paper and cover half or more of the computer screen to only show the delete button to delete my post. I would delete it. Sometimes I would check to see what people had written and it usually was not as bad as I thought. Meaning they just said something casual but I'm sure they were uncomfortable.

Sometimes I would leave the post up so people might think that I was sober when I posted it and had no regrets. Why would I regret posting it? I was sober everybody, right? Right? I would still not look at the comments and pray that nobody would see it and it would disappear into the news feed.

Sometimes I'd wake up at 4 am and pray that maybe only people on the east coast had seen it. I lived on the west coast. It wasn't so bad if only people on the east coast saw it, right? No. It was that bad.

One of the worst times I left an F-word laced hate message on someone's facebook WALL when I meant it to be a private message. I thought my heart was going to stop the next day. I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
I received hate mail from their facebook friends for about a week after that. FIVE YEARS LATER I am still aware of possibly seeing them in public.

Once I had to rush out the door one morning and had to leave my drunken raging facebook posts on all morning because I couldn't delete it from work. Again, this was before I had a smart phone. I remember crying in the bathroom at work and thinking about going home sick so I could go home and delete it. I deleted my facebook account when I got home that afternoon. I reopened it a week later and sent more hateful/weird posts and messages.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Austin4Wyo View Post
I was a combination of Ric Flair and Sam Elliott when I was loaded. A real ladies man, and a cowboy gentleman to boot.

Because what's sexier than a stumbling, bumbling, moronic goofus from Wyoming slurring "You look real pretty tonigh, miss," over his next boilermaker?
LOL, nice! Thank God we are all sober now
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
Yeah liquid bravery I'd tell my wife what I really thought I mean I guess I was honest but I could shut up. I'd also impulsively shop for whatever online.
I'd do the exact same thing, well every once in awhile, I'd get courage and go tell me wife how it is! Then feel extremely guilty in the morning.

Also the impulse buy, I remember I bought a stupid racing game online for almost $60 for my xbox that you could get at a store for like 5 dollars, I never even played it again after that, I didn't even like that game.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
If I had to choose my worst habit when I was drinking every night was with Facebook, email, and texting. This took my alcoholism from private to public even though I drank at home alone.
I used to do this with my family and argue with them, feeling absolutely horrible and stupid the next morning, I don't do that now, feels good to be sober
Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat

I used to call in to late night am talk radio. One show more than most. Some nights the screener would not let me through 'onacountna' of lack of articulateness and would tell me, duh.
The dumbest thing I would do consistently , was drink even more.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Austin4Wyo View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I was just Ric Flair when out at the nightclub stumbling drunk . FB, and YT oh yea I put the A in A-HOLE.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

I like this thread