Notices

afraid of fatty liver or worse

Old 08-21-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

afraid of fatty liver or worse

Hello, I am 28 years old a mother of 3. I have been so worried lately that I've drank myself to liver damage. I have not been tested because I'm terrified of what my results will be. I have however noticed some things that kind of scare me into thinking this...I have drank for about 10 years minus the 3 pregnancies so probably around 8.
****If you do not like anything that's Is TMI discontinue reading ****

Alright so the things I have noticed that have me very worried is that I have been very fatigued, I'm not sure if that has to do with the fact that my sleep is poor. I got 5 hours of sleep last night or if this is a true liver issue. Alright and here is the tmi -you have been forewarned . After I eat a meal it seems as if it goes right through me.Also the color of the stool has me quite concerned (light yellowish brown) as well as the consistency (floats and is Rather soft ) now I know y'all probably think I'm nuts by now but I googled that and it gives a whole plethora of things that could be the cause of this.. .From a blocked bile duct to liver problems! Well...of course my brain goes to worst case scenario and I am thinking i have a serious issue. (Due to my alcoholism ) I have currently chose today to be the start of my sobriety . If anyone has any advice or been through something similar please share.
Thanks for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day !

Last edited by freespirit1986; 08-21-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: add information
Old 08-21-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your not nuts Freespirit welcome to SR youl find so much support here nice to meet you
Old 08-21-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Your not nuts Freespirit welcome to SR youl find so much support here nice to meet you
Thank you! I look forward to posting on here, giving and receiving some good advice, tips and for the social aspect . Nice to meet you !
Old 08-21-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi freespirit, welcome!

I had all those issues you are describing, and more, during the last ~1.5 year of my drinking, off and on, in a pretty good correlation to the extent of my drinking pattern. What I can tell you that those symptoms went away completely for me after about a week sober. Are you currently drinking or have you tried to quit? My suggestion would be to stop drinking, make a plan for staying sober (plenty of great ideas here on SR), and a trip to the doctor for a physical with a blood test. You can then take things from there. You have my sympathy because I recall vividly how freaked out I was myself. Again, getting checked up is best but it seems that for most of us these things are usually less serious than we imagine at first
Old 08-21-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Freespirit! Thanks for sharing. Hmmm my daughter is a nurse and when I tell her I'm googling health stuff for various reasons, she says not to. I must say tho, a lot of the stuff I google ends up factual.
In your case, see a doctor. Get the blood test. My son is 28 and a dermatologist wanted his blood work done. His liver enzymes are high! He goes days wo drinking but when he drinks he binges terribly. His calcium is high (now that's a bad sign I might add). His regular doctor plays the odds and never tested his blood. I had a talk with doc!
I do believe all will be good if you stop drinking Free. Your stool I THINK will return to normal. I doubt you've done irreversible damage. I say this cause I'm 57 years old and have spent way too many years drinking.
You take care and see your doctor please.
Olivia
Old 08-21-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Hi freespirit, welcome!

I had all those issues you are describing, and more, during the last ~1.5 year of my drinking, off and on, in a pretty good correlation to the extent of my drinking pattern. What I can tell you that those symptoms went away completely for me after about a week sober. Are you currently drinking or have you tried to quit? My suggestion would be to stop drinking, make a plan for staying sober (plenty of great ideas here on SR), and a trip to the doctor for a physical with a blood test. You can then take things from there. You have my sympathy because I recall vividly how freaked out I was myself. Again, getting checked up is best but it seems that for most of us these things are usually less serious than we imagine at first
Thank you soo much ! I have decided to quit drinking as of today. Yesterday I had my last drink and started freaking out so I decided enough was enough . I plan on using the tools here at SR. blood test will come soon, probably within the week. Id like to get an accurate reading so I figured I would get the testing done once i quit drinking for a couple days as liver enzymes can be higher due to recent drinking.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome.

What you are describing happened to me for months before I decided to quit as well. I was reading online and was convinced I was past the fatty liver stage because every symptom I could connect, I did.

But after I quit, all that stuff with the stools went away in a few days. Drinking leads to bad digestion and that's all it seemed to end up being. I took blood tests 2 weeks after quitting and everything was fine. I was surprised...pleasantly.

Not everyone is the same, but the body does seem to be rather resilient. Your mind may be trying to connect things for you that aren't exactly accurate. And if you are like me, the anxiety going up, i was overthinking and freaking myself out.

I'd give it a few days of not drinking to see if it changes. And I'd definitely talk to a Dr.

Be careful[/B] quitting though. It can be very dangerous to quit cold turkey. I did and regret
Old 08-21-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When we stop poisoning ourselves an amazing number of things fix themselves.

I always recommend going to a doctor for a baseline on your health
Old 08-21-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt the exact same way, test results came back okay, I was even convinced I was diabetic but that came back negative as well, Im 28 too by the way
Old 08-21-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

freespirit, Your still young & that's on your side health wise Plus you gave your body a brake in between . As for sounding Crazy Naaww , I do the same thing every ache , pain or sweating spell . I'm sure I have some unknown illness .
I swear my DR & Pharmacist are talking behind my back. I never get a Copy of the side affects of any meds I get !! Even if it for glucose strips . Ugg my Dr knows me & my anxiety too well.
Get yourself checked out - Your not alone Welcome
Old 08-21-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here - basically if you're concerned in any way - seeing a Dr is the best way to put those fears to rest

welcome aboard

D
Old 08-21-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Welcome Freespirit! Thanks for sharing. Hmmm my daughter is a nurse and when I tell her I'm googling health stuff for various reasons, she says not to. I must say tho, a lot of the stuff I google ends up factual.
In your case, see a doctor. Get the blood test. My son is 28 and a dermatologist wanted his blood work done. His liver enzymes are high! He goes days wo drinking but when he drinks he binges terribly. His calcium is high (now that's a bad sign I might add). His regular doctor plays the odds and never tested his blood. I had a talk with doc!
I do believe all will be good if you stop drinking Free. Your stool I THINK will return to normal. I doubt you've done irreversible damage. I say this cause I'm 57 years old and have spent way too many years drinking.
You take care and see your doctor please.
Olivia
I'm sorry to hear about your son ! is this alcohol related ? i hope you guys can get all that icky stuff figured out! As far as dr Google yes I need to stay off of that! Haha (or I'll hypothetically have cancer of the brain liver, spleen , and pancreas by Sunday ).I am going to get my.blood checked but I wanted to wait a few days to be alcohol free since alcohol tends to raise liver enzymes and I don't want to freak myself out over nothing. I sure hope my stools return to normal but with the way people seem to be talking it will. I will breathe a sigh of relief but even a bigger one after some blood work. Thank you for you reply.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Welcome.

What you are describing happened to me for months before I decided to quit as well. I was reading online and was convinced I was past the fatty liver stage because every symptom I could connect, I did.

But after I quit, all that stuff with the stools went away in a few days. Drinking leads to bad digestion and that's all it seemed to end up being. I took blood tests 2 weeks after quitting and everything was fine. I was surprised...pleasantly.

Not everyone is the same, but the body does seem to be rather resilient. Your mind may be trying to connect things for you that aren't exactly accurate. And if you are like me, the anxiety going up, i was overthinking and freaking myself out.

I'd give it a few days of not drinking to see if it changes. And I'd definitely talk to a Dr.

Be careful[/B] quitting though. It can be very dangerous to quit cold turkey. I did and regret
Thank you for your response I'm happy to hear everything was well for you ! I hope the same for me. I think if I quit cold Turkey I will be okay. I have a 6 month old and was drinking a lot heavier before falling pregnant with her and quit cold Turkey with no adverse affects : ) I was currently drinking 4 beers to a 6 pack a day. I am planning on talking to a doctor and getting my blood work done a few days or so after I have quit. I'm trying to stay positive: )
Old 08-21-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Some great advice here - basically if you're concerned in any way - seeing a Dr is the best way to put those fears to rest

welcome aboard

D
Thank you for the friendly greeting . I am going to do it.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
freespirit, Your still young & that's on your side health wise Plus you gave your body a brake in between . As for sounding Crazy Naaww , I do the same thing every ache , pain or sweating spell . I'm sure I have some unknown illness .
I swear my DR & Pharmacist are talking behind my back. I never get a Copy of the side affects of any meds I get !! Even if it for glucose strips . Ugg my Dr knows me & my anxiety too well.
Get yourself checked out - Your not alone Welcome
That is true, I have taken breaks. thank you for understanding the anxiety about things! Some people just don't get it Lol
Thank you for replying!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
When we stop poisoning ourselves an amazing number of things fix themselves.

I always recommend going to a doctor for a baseline on your health
True! And thank you !
Old 08-21-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

welcome aboard

D
Thank you!
Old 08-22-2015, 01:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My stomach does that to me sometimes. Usually if:
(a) I've had a sudden change to my diet
(b) When I eat too much sugary crap
(c) when I am scared or anxious

There should be warnings on medical pages on the internet. Danger: High Anxiety Warning.

The only way you will know for sure is to get tested, And while you're there you could discuss sobriety plans with your Doctor and see if they can offer you any kind of support or advice.

Wishing you well in your recovery x
Old 08-22-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
zjw

Eat lots of fruits and veggies vitamin c in them can help the fatty liver and of course the help cleanse you etc..

I was just as bad terrified about my health while I smoked 2 packs a day and drank like a fish ::face palm:: all I had to do is quit those bad habits diet and exercise and the ship slowly started to turn around thankfully our bodies heal well
Old 08-22-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome freespirit. I totally relate to your story. I am also 28 with a young child. It took me being 1.5 weeks sober to set a Dr. Appointment and I freaked out every day until I went. I had weird stools, stomach pain (that now I believe was due to anxiety), night sweats, racing heart, and many other symptoms that have all gone away at 35 days sober. Everything but mild anxiety and moodiness are gone. I still don't have my blood test results back but some of my stress is already relieved by having gone and seen the doctor.
I literally had myself convinced that I was dying.... it made every moment excruciating and emotionally exhausting.

Basically what I am saying is go to the doctor. Just do it. The more you know the more you can appropriatly prepare/treat yourself. Sobriety is a gift we have to work for! I wish you the best and look forward to hearing more about how you're doing.