Notices

near 6 weeks not feeling it

Old 08-21-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well done on 6 weeks;

. I second the low GI diet. It really works for me. I have also read that cutting out carbs altogether cab actually cause prediabetes because the body gets more resistant to insulin because it doesn't see so much of it when you don't eat carbs.

Low GI plus metformin within a week stopped my sugar cravings and my energy for better and my blood sugar fasting levels got better.

Keep going. You're on the way!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks.
Dee I really hope you are right because I am starting to think I will feel never better, or even worse, this is the best I'll ever feel again. And I don;t want to live this way. I keep hoping a day will come that I feel good, energized, not tired and able to enjoy my day.
But that hasn't happened yet.
Also agree on the no carb thing. I also read that one might become more sensitized to carbs, so I am trying to work out a low carb plan based on the small, very small amount of beans I can tolerate and maybe try sweet potatoes and see how that works.
My index finger looks like a used pin cushion from all the finger sticks and testing. And yes I will be vigilant on that because here in the US it is far more common for doctors to give generic, minimal advice and one must be one's own advocate. I have experienced this personally on female issues to a ridiculous degree.

Now just to make my head spin, after I awoke to my worst fasting blood glucose I decided to just eff it because a human can only take so much. I ate about half of what must be the world's best chocolate cream pie.

And my sugars went down. So... yeah ok. No rhyme or reason. Maybe I got a free pass on that one for declining the beer.

I'm having thai for diner and I am not even going to test tomorrow. I need a day off.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks people for the congrats on 6 weeks also, I need to hear that, it keeps me going.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Let's face it, health issues are a big load to carry and it's quite natural to feel the way you do from having to cope with this for so long. As I wrote on another thread, I am visually impaired, and there have been times when I've wanted to poke my eyeballs out (sorry if that's gross) from pain and frustration. It sucks.

I don't have much to say except that I hear ya, and I hope you stay strong because we are often a lot stronger than we think.

Delfin
Old 08-21-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi sleepie, brilliant news on 6 weeks. What an acheivement!

I don't think I would ve liked to be at work with a fridge full of booze at 6 weeks!

I know I felt like I was climbing the walls in my early sobriety many times and all I knew was I wasn't going to drink. It would have put me back to minus square 1! If I had ever managed to get back to square 1!

Learning the recovery side is so important, otherwise we just become someone who resents not being able to drink and ultimately, with that in mind fall back to drink as we run out if excuses for ourselves.

Sorry you're having health problems, sleepie. I hope you can keep control of those with the help of your doc.

Keep posting, it does help.x
Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
zjw

Some of you low carvers would freak to know I was obese but now I'm lean and I eat 4-6000 calories a day and over 800 grams of carbs a day all vegan all whole foods fruits starches etc.

So carbs are not always bad
Old 08-21-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ok, but if you are already prediabetic or diabetic that's not a good idea zjw.
high blood sugars feel really bad.
I was obese too, I lost 40 pounds and I am still prediabetic or maybe full blown diabetic at this point. I doubt I would do well with 800 carbs. I cannot eat a banana without going high.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maybe this will be considered a tangent since this is an alcoholism forum, but what do you mean "pound your organs with fat and protein"?

I think you are very mistaken, especially if diabetic. Keep researching and looking outside the box a bit because I cant say anything that might be construed as "medical advice".

Good Luck.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I mean getting too much protein is hard on your organs. Liver and kidneys.
And a fat in excess is bad for liver and heart.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Six weeks is fantastic on your sobriety sleepie--like Dee says, it may take awhile but you won't always feel this way.

How much longer on the benzo taper?

Getting that out of your system and clear should be a help--
Old 08-22-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
zjw

Search reversing diabetes with raw vegan diet plent are super high carb and folks are having some good luck with it. But yeah if vegans not you thing the only other way to fight it is to watch the carbs I guess
Old 08-22-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
zjw

Sorry too I don't wanna take the thread off topic I just like to get the info out there everyone can do whatever they wish with it
Old 08-22-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I mean getting too much protein is hard on your organs. Liver and kidneys.
And a fat in excess is bad for liver and heart.
Too much of anything can be bad for us in the long run. I think you really need to see a dietician or someone who can evaluate your diet and exercise from an overall standpoint sleepie. Your sobriety is surely getting you on the right track, but we cannot give medical advice here and that is what you need.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Too much of anything can be bad for us in the long run. I think you really need to see a dietician or someone who can evaluate your diet and exercise from an overall standpoint sleepie. Your sobriety is surely getting you on the right track, but we cannot give medical advice here and that is what you need.
Also to scottfromWI point you probably have a number of things not perfect in your life etc... and it can be REALLY REALLY hard to try and fix them all at once. You got a benzo taper and the getting sober. Adding in dietary changes etc.. It can be a lot to handle all at once. From where I sit now It can seem oh so simple fix your diet exercise stop drinking etc.. But from where I sat at 6 weeks sober? forget it ! it would have been near impossible for me to try and tackle all of that at one shot.

My point is go easy on yourself keep it simple dont bite off more then you can chew etc.. if what your doing is stressing you too much back off some find that comfortable spot where your making progress but your not miserable because your pushing yourself too hard etc..
Old 08-22-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Blood sugars aside, were are you on the benzo taper? Absolutely no walk in the park, and takes awhile. If still tapering, or fresh out, you're not gonna feel like yourself for a bit.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am now at 4 mg of valium daily, I'll go down to 3 today or tomorrow, tapering every 10 days. I wanted to try and taper down a mg every 7 days but I don't know if I can. It's taking so long. I started at 10 mg valium back in May. months ago. i just wanted this to be done. I read here about people on much higher doses doing cold turkey and I feel that I should be able to move faster with it but like said it's no walk in the park.
Taking on everything at once is definitely a recipe for misery.
But I have been trying to quit drinking for years, sometimes someone here will point out how long I have been here and I feel like trash. Sure I try to comfort myself by thinking "Well at least I am still here trying" but I know they are right, I am a total loser for not having quit long ago. Addiction has a grip I guess. So now I am just sick of it and want it all to be done and I want to feel right so I can get on with something resembling a life.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

sleepie, I am pretty damn tired of you disrespecting yourself. We are all fighting for our lives. When we stop fighting, we die. I've seen people die from addictions. IT AIN'T PRETTY. As long as you're trying, you're winning. You are not a loser. You are fighting back and YOU. ARE. WINNING.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I hope so Trach
Computers dying soon.
At the job again
Feeling low
Sorry
Old 08-22-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 08-22-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
zjw

Once you get past this your going to be on the other side and on the winning streak but do you know what "this" is?

Ponder that thought. "this" has a grip once you get that grip off you will be off and running. all the struggle will start to tumble down like dominos etc..

Your not a looser by any means.