Notices

Kava tea

Old 08-20-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kava tea

I just read about kava tea on this site and was wondering what kinda of effects it had on you. Did it put you to sleep, knock you out, upset your stomach.......I'd like to try something natural to help get to sleep. Currently I take trazadone for sleep but I'd like to stop because I'm having nightmares which is evidently a side effect for some people. Please advise.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kava abuse is a big problem in remote areas at the top end of Australia.

http://www.nt.gov.au/health/healthde...chap1/kava.htm

I'd keep looking for other solutions. Have you seen a Dr?

D
Old 08-20-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FYI: kava is tough on the liver. Not the best bet for those who've abused alcohol.

Valerian has my thumbs-up, as dose chamomile. Melatonin is cool too.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses.....I saw my doctor today and he said do I want to sleep or do I want to put up w the nightmares..........I have to sleep otherwise I'm gonna relapse........the nightmares are annoying......they are about people who have caused me trams.

About the valerian.....how did it effect you?
Old 08-20-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Trauma
Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have to say no to Kava tea. I tried it last summer and it just made me feel weird bad and groggy not tired in a good way to sleep.
Would love if there was an herbal remedy.
So many here have insomnia- myself included... didn't sleep til 8:00 a.m this morning and only 5 hours at that.
So I have a relapse of another kid which is over eating a bit for comfort and i know it will make me tired... not good. Sigh.

Anyway sorry to stray- I read that insomnia is one of the highest reasons for relapse. It was for me, big time. Knowing that it's a cause of relapse helps me to identify that I cannot fall back into the drinking trap. And knowing that it's a common struggle for others.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also, can relate to the trauma related nightmares.

I just put up with them. And don't sleep... and hope it will resolve.

The nightmares do stop.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

Kava did nothing for me and like others say can be toughnon the liver a good valerian root extract helps but can be hit or miss. Yogi makes some various teas that are ok for this sort of thing but I don't want to get into the nitty gritty of which ingredients and why because of the whole medical advice issue but I liked there calming ones distressing ones and bedtime ones.

Nothing was a majic bullet and I still suffer with serious sleep issues myself and in my case I don't think a doc would give me or should give me a med for such long term insomnia issues so I feel stuck myself
Old 08-20-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Have to say no to Kava tea. I tried it last summer and it just made me feel weird bad and groggy not tired in a good way to sleep.
Would love if there was an herbal remedy.
So many here have insomnia- myself included... didn't sleep til 8:00 a.m this morning and only 5 hours at that.
So I have a relapse of another kid which is over eating a bit for comfort and i know it will make me tired... not good. Sigh.

Anyway sorry to stray- I read that insomnia is one of the highest reasons for relapse. It was for me, big time. Knowing that it's a cause of relapse helps me to identify that I cannot fall back into the drinking trap. And knowing that it's a common struggle for others.
Yikes! I have seriously pondered drinking just so I can knock my self out and get sleep or grab that cough syrup.... But I alway don't for fear I'll start up a new bad habit or worse
Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Melatonin gave me profound nightmares so I stopped that, passion flower works sort of, and chamomile,

Sometimes just convincing myself to pull an all-nighter and not be in my bed does the trick, i get sleepy quick
Old 08-20-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone......I see the kava is out.....so I'm gonna give the valerian a try and the yogi teas.....I'm still gonna take the trazadone cause I know for a fact no or little sleep puts me at a high risk for relapse......last 2 times I relapsed it was because I was way overtired and was trying to knock myself out......both turned into binges w the last time giving me, I believe alcohol poisoning. I'm just recovering from that whohah.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Debbie,

Valerian root tea works very well for me, as well. On days of high stress or anxiety I would have my first cup in the afternoon. Then again before bed. Let us know how it goes. Even just drinking the calming teas from the afternoon into the evening helped a lot during the time period of changing habits. I wish you the best!
Old 08-21-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Debbie329 View Post
Thanks for your responses.....I saw my doctor today and he said do I want to sleep or do I want to put up w the nightmares..........I have to sleep otherwise I'm gonna relapse........the nightmares are annoying......they are about people who have caused me trams.

About the valerian.....how did it effect you?
Did the dr. Prescribe anything for you, or give you an opinion on valerian? I have used valerian , calming effect w no side effects, but ask your dr
Old 08-21-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

In England there is Horlicks to help you sleep its not proven but I think it suppresses hunger during sleep

I havnt heard of a lot of these things I've heard of Valerian root but that's about it
Old 08-21-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
FYI: kava is tough on the liver. Not the best bet for those who've abused alcohol.

Valerian has my thumbs-up, as dose chamomile. Melatonin is cool too.
I second that! When I was looking for ways to succumb from drinking I looked in to kava myself and found that it's hard on the liver.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I found a tea called get some zzz's by the republic of tea......it's a blend w 20mg of valerian. Anybody know of a more potent brand......I drank two cups...I feel calm but not sleepy.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sadie....the doctor kept me on trazadone.....I doubled my dose last night.....I slept like a baby but I still had a disturbing dream. I walked around the lake today.....3.5 miles, maybe I won't need the trazadone.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Debbie just hoping you get a night's rest without the dreams.
I wonder if there is anything you can try and listen to or visualize to maybe influence these dreams.

I have tried a little visualization. I do believe it helps, I know when I am focused on a fear while trying to sleep I actually dream about it!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Debbie,
I hope the walk helps. I find after a good dynamic day I tend to sleep good. At times I have to force myself but the more physically tired I am the better I sleep. That along with a herbal nighttime tea. I've tried all the prescription meds and they mostly have side effects that end up making them not worth it. Keep at it and let us know how it goes!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, tried the Kava, didn't like it, due to a nauseating feeling. The quality is really hit or miss and dodgy as it is imported from various places.