Notices

The Mood Swings, PAWS?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Mood Swings, PAWS?

So I've read up quite a bit on PAWS and I wonder if that is what I'm going through.

I've been having mood swings that last all day sometimes and then I'll have days where I'm just slightly nervous but OK for the most part. For example yesterday I felt completely OK in the morning then as afternoon hit I started feeling really nervous, then by evening almost depressed and about ready to break down and cry then it just switched to numbness and anger, followed by nervousness again this morning!

It seems like its a 2-3 day cycle of despair, nervousness and mild depression followed by 2 days of relief then back into it again, has anyone experienced mood swings like this? I sometimes have to ask myself why in the world do I feel this way in the first place? I have nothing to worry about! I feel like a huge baby

Been 34 days sober.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
Been 34 days sober.
A little soon for PAWS. Sounds like you are still riding the emotional roller coaster of early recovery.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds par for the course to me. PAWS is the phase after acute withdrawal, which ends in a week at most with alcohol (longer for some other drugs). Some typical symptoms that can come in waves are listed here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-a...s_and_symptoms
Old 08-19-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree with the others, could be a lot of things. Our minds and bodies take time to recover, there's no way of getting around that unfortunately. Making sure you are getting enough rest, food, water etc can help too.

The other thing to remember is that you could possibly have underlying issues that are now surfacing ( depression, anxiety, etc ). Quitting drinking in itself does not solve these problems, although it can help improve them somewhat. Don't rule out seeing your doctor or a counselor if the problems persist long term.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'd agree with the others, could be a lot of things. Our minds and bodies take time to recover, there's no way of getting around that unfortunately. Making sure you are getting enough rest, food, water etc can help too.

The other thing to remember is that you could possibly have underlying issues that are now surfacing ( depression, anxiety, etc ). Quitting drinking in itself does not solve these problems, although it can help improve them somewhat. Don't rule out seeing your doctor or a counselor if the problems persist long term.
Yeah I think what makes my feel worse about all this is I begin to think "Wait what if I am/was actually this depressed all the time????" Then the cycle of despair begins.

I've talked to a doctor and a therapist and they both said this will pass you are fine just try and get out and do activities to get your mind off things.

I'm eating fine, actually better than ever, I sleep 7+ hours a night (loads better than when I was drinking) I enjoy my family and friends. Sometimes though, I just don't want to do anything. I keep getting suggestions, "Well do it anyway!" and I think what's the point? Then all of a sudden I'll feel fine and I'll want to do those things, then I get bummed out, its like a switch that turns off and on.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt really antsy a lot in the early days. Having to deal with, instead of drown emotions. It is not an easy time, but so worth it. Make sure to eat well and get plenty of rest. Your body has a lot of healing to do. You are not alone.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I spoke to a doctor about all this at about 6 months sober. I said i just cant take it. I dunno whats wrong with me etc.. I quit drinking life should be getting better etc...

He replied that I was probably still haveing withdrawels from booze and that I should consider an anti depressent etc..

Well I cried BS on both those. No way i was still having withdrawels and no way was I going to get on an anti depressent.

Then I read about PAWS and was like gee... he mighta been right..... but i still didnt get on an anti depressent lol.

I think its PAWS and its intense for a while. Once you get past it its about figureing out who you are. In my case who i was had always been a drunken mess and now it wasnt so I really had no idea who i was. Figureing out what makes you tick and how to live within some boundaries so that you dont get to angry sad depressed frustrated overwhelmed etc... learning where your limits are and respecting those limits. For me I had to learn this it was not like i could just reach for beer to calm me down when i bit off more then i could chew again. I had to start being a bit more responsible since i could not use booze for a crutch anymore.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Three things that I gathered from wise members when I was around a month sober that really helped:

1) Be kind to yourself. Some days early in recovery you will feel like not doing much, and that's ok 2) Giving up an addiction involves a sort of grieving process. You may have mixed emotions for a while 3) It does get better! There isn't an exact day, the process takes time, but you will feel better.

Congrats on 34 Days!!!! I'm on 96, and I am really starting to feel like a different (better) person. Keep at it!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
He replied that I was probably still haveing withdrawels from booze and that I should consider an anti depressent etc..

Well I cried BS on both those. No way i was still having withdrawels and no way was I going to get on an anti depressent.

Then I read about PAWS and was like gee... he mighta been right..... but i still didnt get on an anti depressent lol.
My doctor prescribed me an anti-depressant, everyone I know says its okay if you take it but I believe you can do it without! I took one dose, felt extremely guilty about it, then stopped it altogether and have been okay actually. I don't experience any panic attacks anymore which is great, its just the up and down rollercoaster of happy/content/indifferent/anxious/depressed, then up and down hour to hour

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
Three things that I gathered from wise members when I was around a month sober that really helped:

1) Be kind to yourself. Some days early in recovery you will feel like not doing much, and that's ok 2) Giving up an addiction involves a sort of grieving process. You may have mixed emotions for a while 3) It does get better! There isn't an exact day, the process takes time, but you will feel better.

Congrats on 34 Days!!!! I'm on 96, and I am really starting to feel like a different (better) person. Keep at it!
Yeah I know how that feels its strange, I was thinking to myself, this feels like I've lost someone important to me. I remember early on in my relationship with my wife we broke up for about a month or so and I felt really depressed, and today I'm like, this is how it feels now actually! Then I start feeling bad because its like, I haven't lost anybody, I quit an addiction.