Notices

How to get sober in secret

Old 08-19-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

On My Own,

You sure can get sober in private, so please begin making a plan. I would say your husband is the only one that needs to know.
I got sober working with aa addiction counselor--no AA for me--so it can be done. I feel we all need to be accountable to someone to stay sober so if it is not AA it should be a private counselor, clergy, or someone you trust and believe can really work with you.

I will say alcoholism is hereditary that is why your mom deals with this problem, so it is imperative you get sober now to be there for your daughter who may be genetically predisposed to alcoholism.

Your daughter deserves a mother that is 100% there for her, and it is very astute of you to know this will takes it's toll if not dealt with today.

Good luck, and if we can be of any support....you know where to find us.

All the best,
Trix
Old 08-19-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Welcome Recovery you don't have to be alone the support on this site is unmatched SR is second to none in terms of anonymity

In this together recovery
^^This!^^ I guess I haven't felt alone in this even though I'm doing it "in secret". We have Wolfie and so many other great folks here.

Delfin
Old 08-20-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi,
Personally, I drank at home at the end. My husband and son got to live with my mess each day. Getting help was done with my "guys". When I admitted to myself, and out loud at the treatment center, "Hi, I'm Bobbi and I'm an alcoholic", I felt the "weight of MY world" lifted. WHEW!!
The 12 Step Programs have the saying, " You're only as sick as your secrets" For me, this rings so true!
Whatever method you choose, I wish you well. Being here on SR and checking in on the 24 Hour thread daily, is another tool I use in my recovery journey.
Bobbi