Notices

I am going to my first meeting at 7:45 tonight

Old 08-15-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am going to my first meeting at 7:45 tonight

It is not my first official meeting, but it is a meeting where I am at the point where if I don't go I feel something bad will happen. I haven't felt this way before.

I was rude to loved one and verbally abused her. I was also not nice to someone who I went on 4 dates with and he told me I was the rudest person he had ever met. The thing is, I am a sweet person. I have ego and narcissistic issues but I am kind and not a terrible person. This alcohol is turning me into a horrific monster.

I've tried other meetings and they turned me off. Everyone looked disheveled and down trodden. I'm hoping this meeting isn't like that, but it's hard to find a normal meeting with people I want to associate and confide in.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, a good start might be not judging the people you see at your meeting. You don't consider yourself a "terrible person," yet you were verbally abusive to a loved one and came off to your date as the "rudest person he'd ever met."

The people at your meeting, however "disheveled" and "downtrodden" they may look, are affected by alcohol JUST LIKE YOU. They weren't BORN that way, most likely, but just like you, alcohol has turned them into people who others turn away from.

Instead of comparing yourself to the people at the meeting and feeling superior to them, maybe you should listen to what they have to say about what alcohol did to them, and FOR them. We have more in common, when it comes to those feelings, than we have differences, which is why I can relate just as much to the share of someone who's done time in prison as to someone whose highly-respected job was at stake.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, a good start might be not judging the people you see at your meeting. You don't consider yourself a "terrible person," yet you were verbally abusive to a loved one and came off to your date as the "rudest person he'd ever met." The people at your meeting, however "disheveled" and "downtrodden" they may look, are affected by alcohol JUST LIKE YOU. They weren't BORN that way, most likely, but just like you, alcohol has turned them into people who others turn away from. Instead of comparing yourself to the people at the meeting and feeling superior to them, maybe you should listen to what they have to say about what alcohol did to them, and FOR them. We have more in common, when it comes to those feelings, than we have differences, which is why I can relate just as much to the share of someone who's done time in prison as to someone whose highly-respected job was at stake.
You are right. My friend told me that I just can't walk in and judge. I'm on my way to being downtrodden if I don't quit binging and doing terrible things. It's scary how progressive this is...

Thank you for your response and sorry if I sounded rude. I think my low self-esteem comes off as rudeness and judgmental attitude.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find the meeting beneficial chiquen.
Maybe talk with a few people, ask for some help?

D
Old 08-15-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello chiq,

'Alcoholism' is often described as a disease (condition of body, mind and spirit) that distorts our Perception. You perceive yourself as a 'sweet person' but catch yourself acting like a 'monster'. You perceive others at a meeting as disheveled and downtrodden, but find yourself in a state where alcohol use has landed you in the same place as them ... an AA meeting.

But guess what? You are at the 1st Step on the Path that leads directly to a Miracle of a renewed YOU! At the end of the 2nd Step Chapter in the book, 12 Steps and 12 Traditions, it basically states, " every AA meeting is proof that God can and will restore us to sanity." What that means is that even if we don't like the people or even what they say at any given meeting, the FACT IS that the program restores people like YOU and ME. We just have to do the WORK of the 12 Steps.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The damage is done, time to move on and heal. By attending AA 12 step meetings, it opens your eyes to a new way of living life that is sober. I precisely remember my first meeting.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been to 5 meeting in 4 days. Gives me something to do and mwet people who wear my shoes. I won't go back to one and found 2 that are great. I am a complete social introvert. This is another reason to go. Breaking habits. There are great one's out there
Old 08-15-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've met dozens of inspiring, kind people in AA and I hope you will approach it with an open mind. Going to AA is not a punishment for sin. It's a freely available opportunity to join other people on a spiritual journey towards a happy, sober life.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had to experiment with different meetings to find the ones I liked. I seem to prefer the church meetings to the clubhouse ones.

Note: I will go to any meeting, anywhere if I am in need.

Getting over my hangover used to be the high point of my day, these days its meetings & the gym.

How did it go?

CJ.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

While Lexicat's response was a little more direct than mine would have been, there is a lot of truth in it. By your own admission, alcohol is not doing you any favors. Those downtrodden people you refer to could have been attractive, successful and very wealthy at some point in their life, and alcohol took everything from them. Which is what alcohol can do. At least you recognize you have an issue with alcohol, you found this site, joined, and posted, so you are off to a good start. I wish you the best and keep us posted.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

How was it?