Notices

Back again

Old 08-09-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

After trying and trying to stay sober I've gone back to my binge drinking ways, and it all came to a head last night. I was so drunk at the pub I apparently tried to start fights with everyone including an off duty police officer. The police were called and I was arrested all in front of my bosses and work mates.

Alcohol is ruining my life, I feel I have no control. Now I'm unsure if I will have a job when I go back to work besides the criminal charges and what I said or did to people on the night. I need help.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back proclub - you had a few identical threads so I merged them.
I don't think there's anything for it but to face the music whatever that might be.

There's actually a bigger problem than the cops and your job here tho.

You need to make some pretty serious decisions about how much you want your life to change and how much you're prepared to do to make that happen.

Any ideas on what a recovery plan for you might look like?

D
Old 08-09-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no idea. I just really want to stop drinking before it ruins my life. What's involved in the plans?
Old 08-09-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is my take on a recovery plan:

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Basically a recovery plan is a plan to help you stop drinking/drugging and stay stopped.

Things like exercise and hobbies should be a part of just about every recovery plan - but I really believe we also need to specifically address the drinking/drugging too.

Think about changes you need to make to your life.

Not only changes what you do for fun, the places you hang out and who you hang with, but also deeper change.

No matter what you drink or used for - stress or boredom, anger, joy, physical or emotional pain - you need new coping mechanisms to deal with all those things.

you also need to anticipate those times when you will want to drink or use, or when drink/drugs will be offered to you.

Have a strategy in place for dealing with those situations.

Ask for help here if you're not sure what to do or how to do it

All this can be difficult - which is why support is so important.

It might be a Dr or a counsellor, or a group like AA SMART LifeRing or some other alternative...it might be outpatient or inpatient rehab - it might just be SR and other forums/chat rooms...

Find a level of support than works for you, and that you are willing to reach out when you're in trouble.

cover these bases, and you'll have the beginnings of a great plan.

This is an easy to read but detailed link which fills out the ideas a little more:
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D
Old 08-09-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.

Dee suggestions are excellent points to become sober.

I’ll add that long term recovery is gained by constantly doing them every day into the future. In most cases not doing so results in relapsing and the dire results that involves.

BE WELL
Old 08-09-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I need to do something. I'm in anti depressants at the moment as well so it was a stupid idea to drink last night as it was
Old 08-09-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mpr

Forget what has transpired as you no longer have control over it. Deal with the consequences as best as you can and move on. You control the present moment and the future is what you make it.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear what happened but you're here and reaching out, which is a great thing!

I think it's really scary to acknowledge that there's a problem, but you are not the only one and there's support out there. I'd just recommend not trying to tackle your whole life at one go. When I was newly sober I tried to makeover my life all at once and it was overwhelming. Take it slow and be consistent :-)
Old 08-09-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My main goal is definitely to stay sober, I know I can't control what's happened but I still feel like a worthless failure because I let myself go again
Old 08-09-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

All starts with a day 1 read the links provided and they will really help
Old 08-09-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Get that plan together, OWN IT, do it One Day At A Time
Old 08-09-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Proclub, I completely agree with all posts prior to mine. In fact, I would read through them several times. Based on your OP, it sounds like you and alcohol don't get along well, and now there may be some serious consequences (I hope not). Also, based on your responses you are aware of what needs to be done, so the last thing to do is to just do it. Easier said than done of course, but millions of people have done it, and I think you can too. Keep us posted and I wish you the best.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm back to work weds so I'll just have to wait until then to see what happens. I have given up alcohol before but just can't stick to it for much more than a month. Hopefully I can use one of these plans to stay sober
Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best of luck at work. Making a plan and more importantly, following it, is key...glad you are doing some research in that area. And don't forget SR is always here.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do it this time. It's important. It won't be fun for awhile, but you CAN do it! One idea for tomorrow (it sounds like you are off work) is to decide if you need to be very quiet (stay in bed with a book and carton of ice cream), or if you'd personally be better off with lots of activity as you think about how you are going to go about your journey. You deserve to be healthy and step away from the negative consequences of alcohol.

Oh, and if you haven't already...get rid of any alcohol in your house.

Welcome to SR!