Notices

Gave in to Zopiclone :(

Old 08-07-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gave in to Zopiclone :(

So at over 6 months of PAWs sobriety and 7 weeks of chronic insomnia last night I gave in to taking a sleeping pill called Zopiclone .
I did try it in early sobriety and hated the side effects .
Today after only taking 3.5 mg last night I fell asleep within 15 mins .
I slept for 6 hours , the most for months .
When I woke I felt groggy and had a headache .
That subsided within a few hours .
During the day I become dizzy , hyperactive , anxious and irritable , I felt off .
I then started to feel ok again a few hours later .
It's now the evening and I feel slightly off again , hard to describe how I feel but it just off and strange .

I hope that this tablet don't reset my PAWS healing ?
Anybody else have stories bad or good on Zopicone in recovery ?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If it was prescribed I'd check with your doctor on the side effects.

If I'm not mistaken you've already been diagnosed (by multiple doctors) as having Anxiety as the probably source for many of your symptoms, and not PAWS, correct? If so it's really unclear as to how the drug might affect your anxiety, checking with your doctor or therapist is the best route to take.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
If it was prescribed I'd check with your doctor on the side effects. If I'm not mistaken you've already been diagnosed (by multiple doctors) as having Anxiety as the probably source for many of your symptoms, and not PAWS, correct? If so it's really unclear as to how the drug might affect your anxiety, checking with your doctor or therapist is the best route to take.
The doctors ive seen don't recognise paws , all the Drs do know ive an anxiety disorder but they have all said take zopiclone for sleep !
I'm currently feeling all nervous and panicky
Old 08-07-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by malamute100 View Post
The doctors ive seen don't recognise paws , all the Drs do know ive an anxiety disorder but they have all said take zopiclone for sleep !
I'm currently feeling all nervous and panicky
I would check with the doctors that prescribed the zopiclone and let them know how you feel. You mentioned you were seeing a therapist - was that the Dr that prescribed it or an general/hospital MD? I'd share all of this with the therapist if you haven't as well, adding any drug to the mix can affect your anxiety.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Malamute..I believe in PAWS...and I understand the desperate need for sleep.
I had awful PAWS for just over 12 months..hang in there it will get better and all the weird and strange off feelings will pass.

Doctors only know what they know...some will recognise PAWS others won't...

Have you thought about seeing a professional that deals with addiction?

It doesn't sound like the sleeping pill agrees with you.. causing rebound anxiety..
I dont think that you have reset your PAWS...it will get better.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have been prescribed zopiclone in the past and at my gp they will only prescribe a weeks dose so that had me thinking why etc

I remember a nasty taste in my mouth the next day and i dont think i finished the course i had 4/7 maybe after that i asked my Dr about other options and he mentioned over the counter treatments

You might find more options talking with your local pharmacist

Good luck
Old 08-09-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I do not have experience with that specific sleep medication, but I do have experience with prescription sleep aids, and I think most of them are similar in their active ingredients, so to speak. My experience was probably typical, and horrendous. They worked beautifully and as intended for quite awhile, but then I developed a tolerance, and ultimately became dependent on them to sleep. I had a run-in with my doctor over them (long story) and it made me so mad I decided to just plain quit taking them. I still have some in a bottle that are three and half years old. I went through withdrawal that lasted about 72 hours and it was horrible. I have not taken a prescription sleep aid since then. I use melatonin and it works just as well. With regards to your question, I did not feel "off" when I first started taking them, but definately experienced some negative effects when I quit using them. Not sure if that help. Good luck to you.