Notices

Telling work

Old 08-05-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling work

So I have been on a binge the last 5 days and skived work feining a stomach bug. Last night I blacked out and fell on my face bruising badly. I told my boss I fainted cos not eating. Got to go back to work tommorow should I come clean about my problem? Has anyone else done this? I don't want to get sacked, I don't plan on drinking again either but also think they must be very suspicious.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I advise that you dont tell them unless you are planning on going to rehab.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I haven't had a similar experience.

Sounds very serious though.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. Feeling pretty pathetic atm. Hope this is my final realization of the need to get sober. It could have been even worse I guess.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If it holds you accountable to your sobriety, tell them. If they will pay for your rehab, tell them, then get to rehab. If it's going to ruin your relationship with them and you're not going to rehab, do not tell them.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by feren View Post
Hope this is my final realization of the need to get sober. It could have been even worse I guess.
Don't hope - make it your final realization. It can and most likely will get worse if you don't do something.

Have you considered any formal sobriety plan or rehab to help you along the way?
Old 08-05-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't want to do AA, not my thing. Not yet, my normal problem is the drink after work thing so I need to change my routine/ get a life back.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't want to do AA, not my thing. Not yet, my normal problem is the drink after work thing so I need to change my routine/ get a life back.
Losing that amount of work time due to drinking sounds pretty serious to me. A lot more serious than just some drinks after work. It might be time to reconsider that line of thinking.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would strongly advise against telling anyone at work that you are an alcoholic. Sadly there are huge stereotypes of alcoholics and people will judge you. And, if something goes wrong at work, the admission could come back to bite you. You have nothing to gain by telling people you work with and everything to lose.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exactly what Anna & Scott said were here for you
Old 08-05-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna. I would hold that information as private and make quitting drinking my top priority.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks people
Old 08-05-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"AA is not my thing."

Right.

So you prefer being a fall-down drunk who can't get it together to get to work for five days?

You are the kind of alcoholic for whom AA was created. Even if you go to rehab, a lot of them are 12 Step based.

You need help, brother.

I've kept up with you since you first joined. This past week's events are really scary, feren. Please get some kind of help.

I wouldn't tell my work. You can do this with peer support.

It is a decision.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't want to do AA, not my thing. Not yet,
So what do you want to do?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I won't tell work. Re AA I guess I should try it.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...my normal problem is the drink after work thing so I need to change my routine/ get a life back.
If you don't find a way to get and stay sober, 5-day binges and falling flat on your face in a blackout is going to become your normal problem.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's a big risk to tell your employer. I would only tell them if it was my last option and I was pretty sure I was going to be dismissed, and if I thought they would help me overcome my issues. You need to be really clear about your motive for telling them.

It sounds like you need to take responsibility to stop drinking or face the consequences of your drinking actions. If AA is right for you then great, if not then find alternative solutions, here is a good place, but stop drinking and get a plan to stay stopped. Just don't keep repeating the same mistakes, continuing to drink is a prescription for misery and pain, both physical and mental. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I suggest you do not tell your employer (or anyone where you work) unless you decide to go to rehab. Unfortunately, the stigma surrounding alcoholism and addiction still exist.

In the US there are a number of other programs besides AA, so AA may not be your only choice. If you do decide to do AA, I strongly advise that you do not read your 4th Step list to anyone in AA under any circumstances; do it with someone ethically or legally bound by confidentiality--for example, a priest or a therapist.

If you're not familiar with AA's program, Step 4 & 5 involve writing down and reading out loud to another human being a detailed moral inventory. Do you really want to trust some former-drinker you hardly know to hear all your dirty laundry and secrets? The reality is this: AA's not-so-secret, secret is that there isn't much anonymity in AA (or any other recovery support group).

Good luck with your sobriety; there are many roads to getting sober, choose one that's best for you (or build your own road).
Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

feren, It appears there are a number of SMART Recovery meetings near you. Are you familiar with the SMART program?

Meetings | UK SMART Recovery
Old 08-05-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

AA isn't the only way, there are many options including outpatient treatment, other kinds of support groups, online forums, chat rooms....

I wouldn't tell my employer, and didn't when I was in a similar situation - missing several days due to sudden vacations or being "sick", missing many Mondays, etc. But they probably know (mine did), and I'm betting this isn't the first time you've missed work for sudden "emergencies" or "illnesses".

Big question, after a 5-day blackout binge, are you going to be able to go back to work tomorrow without shaking like a leaf and stinking of alcohol sweating out your pores?