Notices

Striving for long-term sobriety

Old 08-04-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
I think the biggest problem is addicts suffer from denial and rationalization, which is true of me going into my 24th year of recovery. I continue going to AA meetings to help others but also as a reminder that I can't have one drink. If I have a drink I can't stop.
Congrats on your 24th year of recovery!

Once again, staying involved in recovery is key. Otherwise, I might forget I had a problem.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for the article, Groundhog. I'm a little over 2 yrs now. The part that really spoke to me was that relapses seemed to be more common in people that got away from their recover-oriented practices.

I have only done SR. I used to read here constantly in the first year to stay focused and I needed guidance to navigate the various things of life with my new path.

I still need that now, but in different ways now. It doesn't feel as acute or critical, but I feel stuck in a non-drinking vacuum. I struggle with finding support and ideas in that way here on SR sometimes, or at least kindred spirits trying to get our lives back on track and more productive, after years of wasting them away. .

Are there threads here that are geared toward that kind of conversation, with a high recovery ratio to chitchat ratio? I have to keep my computer reading to a minimum (eye issues) so I need maximum impact threads in which to participate.

Dee or anyone?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
... Regarding all the stats, remember that there only one that REALLY matters- That you have a 100% chance to stay sober If you truly want it and work for it.
Thank you for this, Scott. It gives me hope.

Congrats on 7 months, GHD!

Delfin
Old 08-05-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkgate View Post
I still need that now, but in different ways now. It doesn't feel as acute or critical, but I feel stuck in a non-drinking vacuum. I struggle with finding support and ideas in that way here on SR sometimes, or at least kindred spirits trying to get our lives back on track and more productive, after years of wasting them away. .

Are there threads here that are geared toward that kind of conversation, with a high recovery ratio to chitchat ratio? I have to keep my computer reading to a minimum (eye issues) so I need maximum impact threads in which to participate.

Dee or anyone?
I use the daily support threads. Perhaps the "One Year and Over" thread is worth checking out.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joybot View Post
For those who are sober for many years, do you completely wipe out the craving or is it still a struggle no matter if you're one year into it or ten years into it.
I am just coming up to 2 years. I haven't had any cravings whatsoever for a really long time, well over a year and maybe 18 months, I guess.

However, I do experience quite a bit of "what's the point of this" and I have concluded that I spent most of the first year "not drinking" and most of the second year "rediscovering my emotions". However, I haven't laid down enough foundations for "living sober", whereby "living" would be the operative word of the two. So far, I have been concentrating too hard on the sobriety itself rather than the opportunities it brings with it.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks GHD