SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   35,000 feet- sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/372473-35-000-feet-sober.html)

GnikNus 07-28-2015 11:25 AM

35,000 feet- sober

Wow. This is a difficult sober first. I'm 35,000 feet up- and am on edge big time. I've always been a nervous flyer, and relied on alcohol for years to get through cross country flights. Actually, any kind of flights.
By this time alcohol would have take. The edge off.
This sucks. Any tips of help would be greatly appreciated.

GnikNus 07-28-2015 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by GnikNus (Post 5486140)
Wow. This is a difficult sober first. I'm 35,000 feet up- and am on edge big time. I've always been a nervous flyer, and relied on alcohol for years to get through cross country flights. Actually, any kind of flights.
By this time alcohol would have take. The edge off.
This sucks. Any tips of help would be greatly appreciated.

I should add, I'm not even remotely considering getting a drink- it's just the getting through the experience that's rough.

Justincredible 07-28-2015 11:44 AM

One time in early sobriety I chewed an entire pack of gum on a flight from Denver to LAX, fidgeted a bit as well but I didn't drink! Cross country flights can be gruelling though. I think just find a distraction and the more you fly sober the more comfortable it will become.
Best of luck!

Fly N Buy 07-28-2015 11:47 AM

Yes, what to replace alcohol with........very common to have substitute issues!
Thanks for the thread, you'll get a lot of tips.

FlyNBuy says - listen to ipod/watch a movie on your device/listen to soothing mediation recording.......

These are but a few, there are many. Breathing exercises - eat a snack - read a book!

Good for you on not drinking. Can't wait to read your post on how You did it!

GnikNus 07-28-2015 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Flynbuy (Post 5486164)
Yes, what to replace alcohol with........very common to have substitute issues!
Thanks for the thread, you'll get a lot of tips.

FlyNBuy says - listen to ipod/watch a movie on your device/listen to soothing mediation recording.......

These are but a few, there are many. Breathing exercises - eat a snack - read a book!

Good for you on not drinking. Can't wait to read your post on how You did it!

Thank you! This already helps. Got a snack and feel better. I avoided caffeine and opted for club soda.
Music is helping. Currently fascinated by the flight data on the screen ( miles to destination and miles from origin, ground speed, outside temp, etc.)
1000 miles left. Then Atlanta and onto an hour long small plane (hate those).
Anyhow, thanks for the responses- I'll continue to read them.
I noticed at The airport in San Francisco they had signs that indicated a "Yoga Room." Wish I had time for that. Don't expect to see one of those anywhere else...

Fly N Buy 07-28-2015 01:28 PM

Love the flight data! That's tight.......
I saw recently they are doing away with skymall magazine - that stinks. It was like an as seen on TV but for airlines. If you see a copy still, grab it - it will be a collectors item.

Atlanta doesn't have a yoga room, but being in the heath conscious South they allow smoking inside the terminal - small rooms gagging with smokers and they have a make your own deep friend snickers bar stand..........:banana:

Wonder if they'll still give you deck of playing cards? We always use to ask for those........Solitaire anyone??

witchy 07-28-2015 01:42 PM

Your fear is real, but the danger is not. I've read that alcoholics drink to avoid suffering, but suffering through fear or anxiety is a very meaningful and soul enriching experience. Each time you survive without a crutch, you become stronger. Embrace your negative feelings and know that you are growing the strength to survive more easily next time, as you will have proven your strength and will have more faith in you ability to endure suffering.
I hope you are feeling better and better as you receive responses. I am sending you love and admiration through these lines. Xxx

GnikNus 07-28-2015 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Flynbuy (Post 5486290)
Love the flight data! That's tight....... I saw recently they are doing away with skymall magazine - that stinks. It was like an as seen on TV but for airlines. If you see a copy still, grab it - it will be a collectors item. Atlanta doesn't have a yoga room, but being in the heath conscious South they allow smoking inside the terminal - small rooms gagging with smokers and they have a make your own deep friend snickers bar stand..........:banana: Wonder if they'll still give you deck of playing cards? We always use to ask for those........Solitaire anyone??

Games, yes- a trivia game worked very well!

GnikNus 07-28-2015 02:22 PM

Very true. Thanks for your response.

GnikNus 07-28-2015 02:23 PM

First leg- done. I'm official east, though with ragged nerves. One more flight though- one of the small planes. Thanks for all of your responses- it's helping me get through!

Justincredible 07-28-2015 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Flynbuy (Post 5486290)
Love the flight data! That's tight.......
I saw recently they are doing away with skymall magazine - that stinks. It was like an as seen on TV but for airlines. If you see a copy still, grab it - it will be a collectors item.

Atlanta doesn't have a yoga room, but being in the heath conscious South they allow smoking inside the terminal - small rooms gagging with smokers and they have a make your own deep friend snickers bar stand..........:banana:

Wonder if they'll still give you deck of playing cards? We always use to ask for those........Solitaire anyone??

Flynbuy,

All of a sudden your name seems to make a whole lot of sense! :yup:

The deck of cards thing is cool, going to ask for one next flight.

When the drink cart comes around I used to always include the word "can" in my request. Like "I'll have a 'can' of sprite" for instance, and I would always get the whole can of soda or whatever instead of the puny little cup. I wonder if that still works.

dwtbd 07-28-2015 02:43 PM

Don't have much to add , but if simply responding helps, :)
Good luck with the last leg, it Will be fine ,hope you have a good trip
Business or pleasure ?

GnikNus 07-28-2015 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dwtbd (Post 5486389)
Don't have much to add , but if simply responding helps, :) Good luck with the last leg, it Will be fine ,hope you have a good trip Business or pleasure ?

Visiting family back home- having a meal now and decompressing.

GnikNus 07-28-2015 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Justincredible (Post 5486379)
Flynbuy, All of a sudden your name seems to make a whole lot of sense! :yup: The deck of cards thing is cool, going to ask for one next flight. When the drink cart comes around I used to always include the word "can" in my request. Like "I'll have a 'can' of sprite" for instance, and I would always get the whole can of soda or whatever instead of the puny little cup. I wonder if that still works.

Yeah, I had to ask for the whole can after she filled my cup. The flight attendant was going to toss it. They do that with every drink? What a waste.

GnikNus 07-28-2015 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by witchy (Post 5486313)
Your fear is real, but the danger is not. I've read that alcoholics drink to avoid suffering, but suffering through fear or anxiety is a very meaningful and soul enriching experience. Each time you survive without a crutch, you become stronger. Embrace your negative feelings and know that you are growing the strength to survive more easily next time, as you will have proven your strength and will have more faith in you ability to endure suffering. I hope you are feeling better and better as you receive responses. I am sending you love and admiration through these lines. Xxx

Thank you for your great reply. Always important to remember.

dwtbd 07-28-2015 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by GnikNus (Post 5486405)
Visiting family back home- having a meal now and decompressing.

lol didn't really answer my question

dwtbd 07-28-2015 02:59 PM

And eating preflight usually seems to help :)

Dee74 07-28-2015 03:29 PM

I hope the last leg is easier on you Gnik - you'll have a great sense of achievement after this :)

D

GnikNus 07-28-2015 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by dwtbd (Post 5486413)
lol didn't really answer my question

That's right- neither business or pleasure!

GnikNus 07-28-2015 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5486459)
I hope the last leg is easier on you Gnik - you'll have a great sense of achievement after this :) D

Yes, thanks Dee! Having this behind will be a big thing. It's a small plane, which I hate- but it's relatively quick. Hour max.