Notices

Fell off the wagon

Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell off the wagon

Hi everyone, I wrote a post back in March, announcing that I'd given up drinking. Everyone was very supportive (I appreciate it so much)

Unfortunately, my sobriety didn't last long. I began drinking even more heavily in Early June. Two bottles of wine a day which escalated into 3 bottles the past few weeks due to personal stress. I feel deeply disappointed in myself. I'm currently sober as of yesterday (and feeling pretty bad withdrawals), but I'm going through it with 0.25mg xanax 4 times a day. I'm going through a tremendously stressful period in life right now, this feels like the most difficult time to quit. But I've got to do it, my eyes are blood shot, I feel low on energy and my stomach is bloated.

I suppose, I just want to firstly say thank you all for the support you provided me in March, secondly I'm sorry for falling off the wagon, thirdly I'm hoping I can do this.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
learning to live

Welcome back!!!

You CAN do this!!

Congrats on completing day 1!!
Old 07-26-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you I really need to, I'm only 24 years old. I'm a freelance writer and it's got to the point that I'm too numb to even work. My fiance is also threatening to leave me. (Even though I've never been a violent drunk). At first, he denied that I had a problem but a few days ago he told me "You're an alcoholic". I told him, I know and that I promise him I'll quit. He's much more to me than alcohol, so I know I have to do this.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just keep on doing what you're doing. Congrats on getting through Day 1. You can do this and we're all cheering you on! You are more than this disease.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really think you'll do it this time. You'll get much respect for trying your hardest and if you can use your fiancé as support now it's all been acknowledged?
Old 07-26-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you came back and posted and that you are ready to do this. You've made the best decision for yourself and you can do this. We do understand how hard this is.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Strivingwoman wrote: "At first, he denied that I had a problem but a few days ago he told me "You're an alcoholic". I told him, I know and that I promise him I'll quit. He's much more to me than alcohol, so I know I have to do this."

It's great that you have an external motivation to get your recovery started. But please find an internal reason to keep it going. My recovery is working because I know I have to change my alcoholic behaviors for me to become a better person. My wife and children and the world are all benefactors of that effort.

I wish you the best on your journey.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Strivingwoman View Post
I'm going through a tremendously stressful period in life right now, this feels like the most difficult time to quit.
There is no easy time to quit.

I don't doubt you are going through a stressful time, but alcohol only adds to the stress and anxiety. You are better off quitting and learning to deal with what life throws at us. Non-alcoholics deal with stress without drinking. So can you.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

You have nothing to apoligise for im just glad your back, sorry things are tough right now you can lean on us for 24/7 support
Old 07-26-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

You can do this. Welcome back
Old 07-26-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good, I'm glad you've made the decision to take back your life.

Welcome back.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lots of hot showers, herbal tea, and clean sheets if you are sweating.

Are you able to eat? Maybe try some small snacks and fruit if you can tolerate it.

We get it--welcome back
Old 07-26-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No apologies necessary, we are all human and we make mistakes. Good for you for picking yourself up, brushing yourself off and not reaching for that bottle. You can do this!
Old 07-26-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you back, Striving. We know it's hard - but we're here to listen and help you do it this time.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi strivingwoman, great job on finding your way back here and reaching out. You have such a promising life to look forward to. Sounds like you have a chosen career and a marriage coming down the pike, and with that marriage maybe even a family to care for. And you are young, very young. At the same time, you are drinking 3 bottles of wine and taking xanax 4 times a day. Im sure you understand this is problematic, correct? This site provides unconditional support around the clock, and I hope it is enough to turn the ship around and head back to port, but if it is not, I hope you are determined to get whatever help necessary. Wish you the very best.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back and wanting to be sober. It's hard at first but it gets so much better.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I was reading your post strivingwoman, I could have sworn I was reading something I have written. I have also written posts here before and my drinking is at its worst right now. I just got off a 4 day vodka binge and am really feeling the withdrawals today. Sweating, shaking, vomiting... swollen eyes, the list could go on. Today is day one. This place is great and WE can overcome this awful disease. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don't worry about it too much. It took me seven years to finally "get it". Just keep trying. Most people don't get it on the first crack. I probably seriously tried about 50 times before I got it, and now I haven't had a drink in 2.5 years. You can do this, you have the power within yourself. It's just up to you whether or not you use it.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome back striving woman, you've got so many great things to look forward to, a whole sober life lies ahead.