Notices

Hello fellow sobers, help thread?

Old 07-23-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello fellow sobers, help thread?

Hi all
I hope that I can continue to report progressive sobriety.
I am putting this thread into place because I know if I ask on SR I shall receive.
I am house sitting this weekend starting today. There will be beer, my drink of choice in the house. My mouth is already watering.

I have barely started day 12 again and started a project to keep me motivated, my Lego sober house some of you are familiar with.
I will probably need a little boost though these next few days.

And gallons of iced decaf.

Plus side I get to hang out with a very favorite canine. Pit mix, part Cane Corso, formidable looking creature but a huge bundle of love. She's very needy and I'm very giving we are a good match LOL.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Making a thread here sounds like a good idea. It would also be perfectly acceptable for you to ask the people that you are house-sitting for to remove all the alcohol from their house before you go over. You are doing them a favor by helping them out, they could certainly do you a favor by keeping the temptation out of reach as well.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with asking for the removal of the alcohol Sleepie it will really help not having there

Dog sounds great btw
Old 07-23-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd also add...here's what you went through last time you did this. Same friends perhaps?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-say-eff.html
Old 07-23-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It sounds as if the dog will keep you occupied. Don't even think about the other stuff.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Ops " My mouth is already watering" Not a good sign . Yes either get them to take it out or have a friend come and get it out . If your worried they will get mad , just replace it when they get back .
12 days is a good start you don't want to mess that up . That's nice sounds like you'll have a nice time with having the dog to keep you busy
Old 07-23-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with Scott on this. If you don't think you'll be able to pretend it isn't there then it needs to be removed. Don't wait until it's too late and you're stuck alone with a house full of beer and your AV. That's not an ideal situation.

Best wishes getting through it, sleepie!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ScottfromWI I was successful last time the last thing I said on that thread was that I abstained and as usual stated my need for tons of decaf. I am less irritable this time because I had a job that was also driving me nuts then but not now. Same building, different friends.
Which brings me to the next challenge, my friends upstairs will insist on seeing me, and I will see them but they will be drinking, they are always drinking and I will be armed with many beverages. Again tons of iced decaf. I work for several people in the building and they all love me. We hang out and are close. But they all drink. One person is pushy about it but I sidestep it. I know I can do this with the help of SR. I already feel more confident with all your voices behind me in the same endeavor.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also this is a top favorite place of mine to stay, very clear space which I prefer to clutter, quiet and usually I just hang with the dog and read or Netflix. So that I have going for me too. She's a low maintenance animal too, she does her business outside unlike some others I have watched. So the situation os very low stress which should help.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Also this is a top favorite place of mine to stay, very clear space which I prefer to clutter, quiet and usually I just hang with the dog and read or Netflix. So that I have going for me too. She's a low maintenance animal too, she does her business outside unlike some others I have watched. So the situation os very low stress which should help.
I think if you can stick to the plan above you should do well. Stay close here too.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Reached my destination to find one solitary can of beer. So no big temptation there. Also my boyfriend was going to give me some cash but I declined so I wouldn't make any unnecessary purchases.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

And gallons of iced decaf.
hrmmm that sounds kinda good.

least there is only one solitary can!

i used to house sit with my wife back years ago in my dirnking days. the house we watched had a fridge stocked with corona! it was on the water and had a nice pool one day we found a bag of some of the best dope ever in the drawer.

So I can fully understand the temptations! Hang in there be strong keep posting!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In my very early days of sobriety (still pretty new to it), I found that I wasn't craving the alcohol but that feeling was so normal that I didn't know what to do with my sober self. I found that distracting myself helped a little, but it really just takes time.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I was successfully social without drinking while others did. no big deal it was unappealing, today anyway.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

sleepie, you're doing so good!
Old 07-24-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

Yeah sounds like you're doing real well, and am I detecting a different tenor in your posts? I'm getting a nice positive vibe, awesome , keep it up.
If you're netflixing, check out Justified from FX, Raylan's the man
Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Well I was successfully social without drinking while others did. no big deal it was unappealing, today anyway.
when i see others drink i'm reminded of how i was. I think how they must feel and how they will feel in the morning vs how i'll feel in the morning. I wonder if after a night of just a few drinks can they get up and run 10 miles with a smile or are they draggen a$$ etc... I normally can smell the booze on them and it repulses me.

I then feel a lot of shame that i was once them. what did people think of me then that i'm unaware of? where people repulsed by my booze odor and obnoxious behaivior? Did i seriously look that bad too?

But having gone through those kinds of thoughts anymore I have compassion and sympathy. But everyones on there own path and at different places in there lives so it is what it is.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done great Sleepie
Old 07-24-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great job so far sleepie!
I also note the positive attitude

Give that beer away so it doesn't tempt you,
and keep up the good work and get plenty of doggie love. . .
Old 07-24-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If I didn't press thanks on everyone's post I am just tired and worn out, no patience but I appreciate all the feedback. Sleeping very little and gritting my teeth through another benzo taper.