Notices

day ten or something.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day ten or something.

alcohol free. not even 2 weeks.
benzo taper wearing me thin.
I walked about 1 hour 45 minutes today, briskly. Did push ups and some other exercises.
Ate healthy.
Still can't sleep though.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Sleepie
Old 07-22-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Yah Sleepie!!! I'm rooting for you. It took me a few weeks with the sleep issue too. Hope you feel better soon. You got this!
Old 07-22-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Right On Sleepy , Nice work . Yes those darn long nights . It's good that your exercising , keeping busy . If you drink anything with caffeine , try to not have any at least 3-4 hours before bed . Herbal teas & flavored water , will help
Old 07-22-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great job on 2 weeks. It's certainly normal ( although not pleasant ) for insomnia and sleep patterns to take several weeks to get back to normal...it will get better.

How long is your benzo taper supposed to last? It seems as if you've been doing it for several months now. Perhaps you could revisit with your DR?
Old 07-22-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

insomnia lasted for several weeks for me too--great job on the 10 days

Keep going!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
alcohol free. not even 2 weeks.
benzo taper wearing me thin.
I walked about 1 hour 45 minutes today, briskly. Did push ups and some other exercises.
Ate healthy.
Still can't sleep though.
Been thinking about you past couple days I hope it gets better. Your post almost sounds like me. I hit a point about 6 months in where i couldnt take the anxiety anymore I felt like if maybe i could just burn myself out doing exercises and such perhaps i'd finally sleep and finally relax. It didnt really work how I expected in some ways anyhow. I lost a lot of weight which was a good thing. I was able to expell a lot of frustrations with the exercises and such. I was able to meditate and work through my thoughts while walking. I was able to enjoy the scenery and seasons etc.. I got physically healthier and stronger. But i was still a twitching nervine inside and many days had to walk more then once per day to calm my nerves just a little. I eventually started running thinking this will do the trick I basicly got more of the same good results but I still was unable to burn myself out to the point of collapse in an effort to relax and well get some sleep I just got healthier.

But slowly but surely i got calmer and more relaxed over the long haul. But i still have my issues and I still have to work at it or else I can go to hell again.

sleep? I dunno forget it I get a good nights rest here and there. between kids and stress I just dont know what to do about that. You may have better luck then me in that department.

Hang in there. Just keep doing what your doing it sounds like your on the right path.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi sleepie! Congratulations on almost 2 weeks!!!

I don't know anything about the benzo taper but I hope you will be finished with it soon.

I do know about sleep issues, aaaaack!!! They suck!! I totally empathize with you there as I have been having varying sleep problems for years.

Keep keeping at it, sleepie, I am rooting for you
Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks people.
ScottfromWI benzo tapers can't be rushed. It can get pretty bad. I have been going a little quicker than scheduled, taper down every 10 days instead of 14. I want it out of my system. I think I started this in mid-May I think.
So maybe 2 more months to go.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks people.
ScottfromWI benzo tapers can't be rushed. It can get pretty bad. I have been going a little quicker than scheduled, taper down every 10 days instead of 14. I want it out of my system. I think I started this in mid-May I think.
So maybe 2 more months to go.
I would imagine that once you get it out of your system things will be a lot better, hope you can get some sleep soon.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope so. I am pi**ed that my blood sugars are still wacky.
Losing hope they will get better.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You need never go through this again Sleepie.

Good for you for 10 days, for persevering despite all the challenges. Here's to the next 10, one day at a time.

Wish you well
Old 07-22-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

I hope so. I am pi**ed that my blood sugars are still wacky.
Losing hope they will get better.
blood sugar being wacky could also be a contributing factor to your ups and downs.

i know for me it can lead to panic anxiety dizzyness moodiness etc..

BUT in your case and in mine It might not be so simply solved with dietary measures. You got a lot going on with the benzo taper and the years of alcohol etc.. it takes some time for things to balance out.

I know for me here i am 4 years sober and I still have to watch my step but most of the time for me now its solved with dietary measures and making sure i'm eating right to handle my energy output etc...

But when i sobered up i was so out of sorts i couldnt make heads or taisl out of anything with my symptoms my mind was like a birds nest of tangled up wires and my body was mucht he same in how it operated physically. It was like all the wires where crossed and connected to the wrong places I had to gingerly pick things apart like i was trying to deactivate a ticking time bomb and it was basicly exaclty that! I was like a walking abomb.

hang in there.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I look at a carb the sugars go high.
So I am barely eating because in my mind I see my pancreas being destroyed. Just low fat low carb but I can't get enough calories.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on ten days sober! And don't starve yourself. Get enough calories to keep you healthy please.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

If I look at a carb the sugars go high.
So I am barely eating because in my mind I see my pancreas being destroyed. Just low fat low carb but I can't get enough calories.
Be careful our bodies need carbs or fat to run. If i where to eat a low carb diet i'd want to increase my fat intake. Or if i was going to eat a low fat diet I'd increate my carb intake. Either approach has the benefit of weight loss.

I guess if weight loss is your goal ok but you should still try and eat enough that can cause more problems by not eating enough.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am eating beans. But I can't do too many carbs.
I always hear about alkies having fatty liver so afraid to go high fat.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

beans are a great choice theres lots of good healthy carbs in them the protein in them and such is good too.

I wouldnt worry about eating too little fat i go weeks on end eating nothing but fruit beans and rice and hardly any fat at all and i'm just fine. i get fats in the salad greens i eat and such but i do not put oil on my salads etc..

the most fat i ever get is the occaisional avocado or sunflower seeds or something.

sounds like your doing ok then just eat more beans if you need more calories!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Maybe does more research Sleepies. Saturated fat is liver protective! It probable save my alcoholic life!

Will saturated fats really increase your risk of heart disease and raise your cholesterol? In a word, no. In fact, humans need them, and here are just a few reasons why:

1) Improved cardiovascular risk factors
Saturated fat plays a key role in cardiovascular health. The addition of saturated fat to the diet reduces the levels of a substance called lipoprotein (a) that correlates strongly with risk for heart disease. Research has shown that when women diet, those eating the greatest percentage of the total fat in their diets as saturated fat, lose the most weight.

2) Stronger bones
Saturated fat is required for calcium to be effectively incorporated into bone. According to one of the foremost research experts in dietary fats and human health, Dr. Mary Enig, Ph.D., there’s a case to be made for having as much as 50 percent of the fats in your diet as saturated fats for this reason.

3) Improved liver health
Saturated fat has been shown to protect the liver from alcohol and medications, including acetaminophen and other drugs commonly used for pain and arthritis.

4) Healthy lungs
For proper function, the airspaces of the lungs have to be coated with a thin layer of lung surfactant. The fat content of lung surfactant is 100 percent saturated fatty acids. Replacement of these critical fats by other types of fat makes faulty surfactant and potentially causes breathing difficulties.

5) Healthy brain
Your brain is mainly made of fat and cholesterol. The lion’s share of the fatty acids in the brain are actually saturated. A diet that skimps on healthy saturated fats robs your brain of the raw materials it needs to function optimally.

6) Proper nerve signaling
Certain saturated fats, particularly those found in butter, lard, coconut oil, and palm oil, function directly as signaling messengers that influence metabolism, including such critical jobs as the appropriate release of insulin.

7) Strong immune system
Saturated fats found in butter and coconut oil (myristic acid and lauric acid) play key roles in immune health. Loss of sufficient saturated fatty acids in white blood cells hampers their ability to recognize and destroy foreign invaders, such as viruses, bacteria, and fungi.

Dietary saturated fat reduces alcoholic hepatotoxicity in rats by altering fatty acid metabolism and membrane composition.
Ronis MJ1, Korourian S, Zipperman M, Hakkak R, Badger TM.
Author information
Abstract
Rats fed a saturated fat diet are protected from experimentally induced alcoholic liver disease, but the molecular mechanisms underlying this phenomenon remain in dispute. We fed male Sprague-Dawley rats intragastrically by total enteral nutrition using diets with or without ethanol. In 1 control and 1 ethanol group, the dietary fat was corn oil at a level of 45% of total energy. In other groups, saturated fat [18:82 ratio of beef tallow:medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil] was substituted for corn oil at levels of 10, 20, and 30% of total energy, while keeping the total energy from fat at 45%. After 70 d, liver pathology, serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT), biochemical markers of oxidative stress, liver fatty acid composition, cytochrome P450 2E1 (CYP2E1) expression and activity and cytochrome P450 4A (CYP4A) expression were assessed. In rats fed the corn oil plus ethanol diet, hepatotoxicity was accompanied by oxidative stress. As dietary saturated fat content increased, all measures of hepatic pathology and oxidative stress were progressively reduced, including steatosis (P < 0.05). Thus, saturated fat protected rats from alcoholic liver disease in a dose-responsive fashion. Changes in dietary fat composition did not alter ethanol metabolism or CYP2E1 induction, but hepatic CYP4A levels increased markedly in rats fed the saturated fat diet. Dietary saturated fat also decreased liver triglyceride, PUFA, and total FFA concentrations (P < 0.05). Increases in dietary saturated fat increased liver membrane resistance to oxidative stress. In addition, reduced alcoholic steatosis was associated with reduced fatty acid synthesis in combination with increased CYP4A-catalyzed fatty acid oxidation and effects on lipid export. These findings may be important in the nutritional management and treatment of alcoholic liver disease.

Translation: while a single meal of dark chocolate and coconut oil may not acutely protect the liver from alcohol [tonight], a few days’ worth just might.

Red meat. While the saturated fat content of red meat is expected to similarly bolster liver resistance to oxidative stress, another component – carnitine (of the recent TMAO infamy) – may also provide some benefit by enhancing liver fat turnover (Kepka et al., 2011 sorry no full text). Taurine, also found in red meat, also prevents some alcohol-induced liver pathologies [in rats] (Kerai et al., 1998 & Pushpakiran et al., 2005).
Old 07-22-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm with Cow on this one.

sleepie, I think you are letting your anxieties run the show. Stop worrying about the fat and carbs. Eat a well balanced diet with lots of fruit, veggies, protein, and yes - daily fat. Cutting out any one food group is the start of an eating disorder. Just eat food, get some exercise. Don't obsess. Worrying and lack of food will disrupt your hormones and can disturb everything - including your sleep.

I've eaten 45% of my calories from fat, 35% from carbs, and 20% protein (more or less - I mean that's my goal on paper) for five years and I maintain good bloodwork and a weight that is within a healthy BMI for my height. I'm an alcoholic and I eat plenty of fat and carbs.

Balance in all things.