Notices

What do you like best about being sober?

Old 07-18-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ditto to all of the above and I'll add mine:
- Peace of mind.
- Self-respect.
- Safety.
- True courage that does not come from a bottle
Old 07-18-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

Being able to live life rather than hiding away from it
Old 07-18-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The feeling of freedom when I hear about a sobriety checkpoint happening, ( and actually planning something so I have to drive through it and hope I get checked)

Being able to sleep in because I want to not because I just cant get up.

Being able to get up early if I want to.

Knowing I fed the critters last night and didn't pass out beforehand

Being able to have critters again because now I am able to properly care for them.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So many things.
It's great waking up with having the shakes. I'm actually calm and relaxed. I can actually look in the mirror and not look like a train wreck. I no longer sit on my couch watching the time, and being the first person in the liquor store. Now, I can actually hold a conversation with someone without my anxiety being so bad I couldn't concentrate on what is being said, and just want to get out of there and go home and get drunk to relieve the anxiety. Making plans for the day and sticking with them, along with doing fun things is a real bonus. Like I said, so many things. John
Old 07-18-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I like participating in life in the evening. This means, driving, parking, walking, talking, shopping, movies, errands, eating out, visiting friends.

Or, just staying home and having a drama-free evening.

Or, better yet, taking care of responsibilities in the evening. (Opening mail, paying bills, folding laundry, sweeping, cooking, dishes).

OK now here is the most corny sounding thing ever, but stopping booze gave me freedom!

I drove myself to a movie theater the other night at, get this, 9:30 pm!! Movie got out at midnight and drove home.

So that's what the rest of the world was doing when I was drunk at home every night.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for sharing. Reading all these is inspiring. I love hearing what it is that people are grateful for.

Thank you.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
under new management

Great topic, Kate15!!!

There are so many positives starting to show themselves at 6 months and 18 1/2 days it is hard to list just a few.

There is so much life filling up the empty spaces, I wonder where I found the time to drink.

I love not having to wonder what horrible things I raged at my husband about. I, too, have had the middle of the night awakenings and appreciated not feeling like I was on the verge of a heart attack. My over all anxiety has decreased to a totally manageable level. My sister is just so proud of me! I am just so proud of me.

I could go on for awhile but I was just making a quick visit to SR before I go out to a non-drinking family event that 6 months and 19 days ago I would have made an excuse to blow off.

Oh and SR.....what a great place to hang out!!

Old 07-18-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I like participating in life in the evening. This means, driving, parking, walking, talking, shopping, movies, errands, eating out, visiting friends.

Or, just staying home and having a drama-free evening.

Or, better yet, taking care of responsibilities in the evening. (Opening mail, paying bills, folding laundry, sweeping, cooking, dishes).

OK now here is the most corny sounding thing ever, but stopping booze gave me freedom!

I drove myself to a movie theater the other night at, get this, 9:30 pm!! Movie got out at midnight and drove home.

So that's what the rest of the world was doing when I was drunk at home every night.
I can so relate to everything you posted. I am not looking for that miracle to happen. Just doing what non-alcoholics do is a blessing. I do little things every day that most people would take for granted. They don't get how precious those moments are. Went to a movie a few weeks ago. To most, this is no big deal, but for me it was. Even shopping sober is a new experience. Really no way to describe it. John
Old 07-18-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I like not having to plan my life around my drinking.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I love not having to plan my entire life around my drinking
Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Very nice thread!
For me:
1. Feeling like I am living the life I was meant to and a life where I can utilize my full potential.
2. No longer having to worry whether my drinking may be causing me health problems.
3. Not having to deal with shame or embarrassment from the aftereffects of drinking.
4. Feeling free to do what I want at any time.
5. No longer having to wake up at 3a.
6. Feeling proud of myself instead of ashamed of myself.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Not having to feel badly about saying or acting stupid the night before.
Not forgetting the wet laundry in the washer for 2 days until it starts to smell bad
Much much better sex
Remembering things that don't effect me directly like other people's birthdays or meeting someone new and actually remembering their name.
Being able to say I'm sorry and really mean it not just saying it to get out of "trouble"
Peaceful sleep
Lots of less guilt
Honesty and intimacy in relationships
The list is endless
Great post!!
Old 07-18-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I love that its Saturday night and I'm able to still read! LOL

And, Not drinking gives me three more hours every evening that I used to waste in a drunken haze.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Well, I've only been sober for 18 days, but...

Not being drunk!

And for the first time in 15 years, not WANTING to get drunk.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Here's one that will really blow your minds, even depression is better without alcohol. Yes you can still get depression, anxiety, feel bummed out and all that negative stuff but at least you can deal with it. Alcohol was like rocket fuel for all the bad feelings and it took me decades to finally figure that out.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

My anxiety has gone way down to almost none. My health is much better. I'm forty pounds lighter and actually feel good about myself. Just last week I was playing softball and looked up at the sky and felt true peace for the first time since I was a kid. That means everything to me to be present and content in the moment living life. To wake up and feel alive, I wouldn't trade one drink for this.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I enjoy having a clear head and being able to deal with situations sober, but I probably enjoy more how I feel physically when sober. I like my heartbeat being normal, my BP being normal (or low), not sweating at the least bit of physical activity, being regular in the bathroom department, having a strong appetite, feeling steady with my hands and feet and not being out of breath from either hangover or withdrawal.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I wake up and think "what to do today?" Rather than dreading the day and counting the minutes until I can legitimately go to sleep again.

Weekends are now two whole days of...... Whatever I want really. No longer two lost days due to nuclear hangovers.

No longer a sense of impending doom on the way to work. (Jeez, what a way for anyone to start the day)
Old 07-21-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

In the final days before I got sober, which will be two weeks tomorrow, I was a zombie. I would spend most days laying on the couch and alternating between there and the bed. My husband did not know the extent of my alcoholism since I had a high tolerance and didn't slur at the end. Inside though I was a mess. I had no energy and really could not perform simple tasks like picking up plates from the table. I didn't bother with bills, even though we had the money to pay. Getting on the computer and logging into the account or trying to request the forgotten password became a task I couldn't do. I didn't get the mail. I didn't do anything. Ordered out for me and the kid all the time.

I can't believe how different I am now. I'm productive, happy and I'm working on projects and catching up to things that I blew off due to being too low energy to do a thing.

Before alcoholism, I used to love the daytime and dread the night. At the height of my alcoholism, I counted down the hours until night so I could legitimately escape into a fog and no one would bother me by asking why I was alway laying slumped in a chair. I didn't appear all drunk and crazy, just very tired and lazy. When the birds began chirping I began to build anxiety like mad, wishing the day would not start. I would quickly take a bunch of sips in order to put myself out until 8 or 9 when I would drag myself out of bed.

What a horrible existence.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notgonnastoptry View Post
In the final days before I got sober, which will be two weeks tomorrow, I was a zombie. I would spend most days laying on the couch and alternating between there and the bed. My husband did not know the extent of my alcoholism since I had a high tolerance and didn't slur at the end. Inside though I was a mess. I had no energy and really could not perform simple tasks like picking up plates from the table. I didn't bother with bills, even though we had the money to pay. Getting on the computer and logging into the account or trying to request the forgotten password became a task I couldn't do. I didn't get the mail. I didn't do anything. Ordered out for me and the kid all the time.

I can't believe how different I am now. I'm productive, happy and I'm working on projects and catching up to things that I blew off due to being too low energy to do a thing.

Before alcoholism, I used to love the daytime and dread the night. At the height of my alcoholism, I counted down the hours until night so I could legitimately escape into a fog and no one would bother me by asking why I was alway laying slumped in a chair. I didn't appear all drunk and crazy, just very tired and lazy. When the birds began chirping I began to build anxiety like mad, wishing the day would not start. I would quickly take a bunch of sips in order to put myself out until 8 or 9 when I would drag myself out of bed.

What a horrible existence.
I can relate to every word. Especially with the not paying bills part. You're right. Even looting in to pay a simple bill seemed like a monumental task. How about the times when you remember at 10 pm that the bill is due and then, ten or so drinks in, trying to remember the password.

Also relate to the tolerance getting so huge that I could walk straight and carry on a conversation after 12 drinks. I imagine the reality of what I looked and sounded like was very different than I imagined. To a sober person I must have looked like a comatose mess. I've noticed that drunk people are soooooo easy to spot when you are legitimately, stone cold sober. Wow. And all those Kate night phone calls I made......oh my god.

Like you, everything is better now and I am now paying my bills on time.