Notices

Chain reaction

Old 07-15-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chain reaction

I do not know whether it is the proper way to call this, but here we go. Do you ever experience a chain reaction, like you do one thing which instantly leads you to the use of alcohol? For me, whenever I drink – I must smoke and, whenever I smoke – I start to crave alcohol. It is pretty insane, right? So when I decided to quit drinking I also had to quit smoking and it puts even more pressure on my recovery. What is your key element of a chain reaction?

Anyway I am on my day 4. I really crave a cigarette, but I know I cannot even think about it. I have immersed myself into some work, started cracking hiragana. I started drinking lots of coffee – it seems it really helps with my productivity. The thing is the upcoming weekend. I have saved some money so there is a huge possibility that I might go out and meet up with my drinking buddies. This thought really scares me, because this time I really want this to work. I hope I will get through.

-John
Old 07-15-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

All my addictions fed into each other. I couldn't just drink, I needed a cigarette....I couldn't just smoke cigs, I needed pot...which led to more beer....

I had to knock all three on the head.

D
Old 07-15-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I usually started with drinking and I would mindlessly smoke. If I smoked I would crave alcohol shortly after. They went hand in hand. Had to cut them both out.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Could you tuck that money away somewhere or spend it on something that supports your recovery? It seems like you are already setting yourself up to drink with your buddies. Physical exercise can really help with kicking the smokes, and it can also give you a hit of endorphins that make you feel good. What hobbies or interests do you have? You need something to fill the drinking time and build new habits. I hope you will get through, too.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoyCCX View Post
The thing is the upcoming weekend. I have saved some money so there is a huge possibility that I might go out and meet up with my drinking buddies. This thought really scares me, because this time I really want this to work. I hope I will get through.

-John
If you really don't want this to happen then don't let it. Decide right now it is not an option and be prepared to do whatever you need to do to prevent it.

Everything was a chain for me. I stopped grilling food, listening to certain music, going kayaking, etc... for as long as needed. Then slowly reconnected the good links back together when I knew it would not be an issue.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you guy for your answers

Bernie, I do have some hobbies, but the thing is that I can easily exchange them to alcohol whenever it comes to my mind. Most of the time I do not even think about alcohol, but a sudden urge breaks through my head and says "This is it, you must get drunk".

I do have a few buddies who I can rely to when I do not want to drink, so I planned a movie night on friday with pizza and some refreshments, so I think I am save for the time being