Notices

Please don't push AA

Old 08-31-2004, 07:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Erin, i am glad you posted. i take people to meetings to encourage their sobriety but i don't work the steps, i have a pseudo "sponsor" who is my close friend that i supported to sobriety a few years ago who is in N/A so go figure?-i am coming up on a year locked in solid and have several years sober prior. I relapsed after serious injuries and the necessary prescribed drugs. i have a kick butt therapist who really helped to straighten me out...higher power is a personal choice- so to each his own, i could go on and on about what works for me, and i have seen the steps really work for people. i like the meetings because of the fellowship and the wonderful people but i am far from christian as i am a pagan swinger trailer park goddess/buddhist. take it lite and keep posting you will find what works for you. hugs-alice
Old 09-01-2004, 03:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by _erin
I am trying other ways as long as they are secular. By pushing AA onto me I feel like religion is being shoved down my throat. By pushing the AA route on me those people are only pushing me farther away.
Hi Erin,

AA is not about religion at all Erin. Having shared that, please just go for whatever way you choose to stay sober Erin, if a particular program works for you, then it works, no matter what recovery program it is. I would suggest taking the focus off of what you "think" AA is, and just put the focus on you, your sobriety, and whatever program works to help you to stay sober today.

Take care Erin,
Patsy
Old 09-01-2004, 04:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patsyd1
Hi Erin,

AA is not about religion...
Patsy
It's about regime change... LOL!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi erin and welcome!
There are many alternatives, find one that works for you! We're glad your here!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Erin

Best of luck to you and I hope you find your way. There are alternatives to AA.

I find it disturbing when someone tries to impose their views or beliefs on me and I know how you feel, but at the same time I do not like it when people berate others and their beliefs in public just because they are annoyed.

I saw your original post and you received dozens of replies without AA being mentioned. I know it’s easier said than done but try to look only on those replies you like and try to ignore the rest. Do not allow one persons comments (which may have had no intentional harm) interfere with you taking care of Erin.

Take care
Old 09-01-2004, 09:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Erin!
Can't say much more than those before me, just wishing you good luck. I will tell you that AA has nothing to do with religion, more about spirituality -- what's "inside."

Stay tuned in to the boards and let us know how you're doing!

Ken