Notices

So I passed out at a party last night...

Old 07-11-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I passed out at a party last night...

I was drinking beer and whiskey at this party, but I passed out drunk on the patio at about 3AM. I woke up several hours later, and my friend took me to his place to sleep.

GRRR. Now it's getting to the point where I'm drinking so much when I go out, I can't stop. I have no self control. If someone's passing whiskey around, I'm going to have some.

Man, I'm so embarrassed/pissed off at myself. I literally just met most of these people and I crashed their party. The host ended up sending everyone but my friend home. This "only social drinking" thing is screwing things up for me so badly.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why not bite the bullet and accept that alcohol and you are a toxic mix?

D
Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trust me, passing out and blackouts don't get better. Instead, they get worse. I spent years waking up wondering where the hell I was and what I was doing - my mind completely erased. Only cure was to stop. It's scary at first, but today I'd never trade my sobriety for another drink ever again.

I wish you the best with your struggle.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How bad will it have to be before you stop drinking? If you're waiting for things to get worse, they will. I just hope you can get sober before it's too late.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its the beginning Im afraid.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I'm trying to have a little fun, and all the parties I get invited to involve excessive drinking. I can't have as much fun at parties with a bunch of strangers unless I have a few beers in me (I have social anxiety, so when I showed up, my hands were shaking). But 2 beers turn into maybe 6 and then I'm waking up somewhere. I only brought 2 beers to the party, but then we went out to the bar, came back, and started drinking again. Then the only thing left was whiskey.

I know it's a bad idea to mix different types of drink, but I was feeling fine until the whiskey. Everyone forgave me because they all do drugs, and have been in similar situations, but why did this have to happen last night?
Old 07-11-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by polaris View Post
Its the beginning Im afraid.
I've been an alcoholic for 6 years. I was a social drinker for 3 of those with no problems. Now I just feel like, I've lost my fiance, so I want to get out of this place I'm in. I'm living with my ex for the next two months and it's really boring/hostile at home.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I dont know you and Im not pushing any sort of beliefs. What I can say is that it begins that way for a lot of us. Drinking to socialize better and be more comfortable...then it often leads to drinking in solitude, because the drinking becomes the main priority.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drank a lot and couldn't stop, either. I was the life of the party- until I ruined it.
And if I was at the party, you could bet on it.
I've been thinking about all my blackouts, and it's scary. Unconscious lost time. I still don't know what I did at some parties, except making an ass of myself. People wouldn't talk to me afterwards, so I can only imagine.

Whiskey was one of my drinks, too. At 8am a couple of shooters to get the ball rolling.
I was a bad drunk and it had progressed to that point. I drank like that for ten years. Blacking out at home because the party invitations ceased.
I could never drink socially. At the end all I did was drink or recovering from a drunk.
I hope you can stop because alcoholism is a progressive, chronic, relapsing disease. I tried to quit many, many times.
Coming here helps me a lot. Reading your post reminded me what it's like out there. I hope I never go back, but I have to be ever vigilant.
I've got four years sober now. It took awhile, but now I can go out and not drink.
Best to you and remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

why did this have to happen last night?
It didn't have to happen. You made it happen. It wasn't some random event, you chose to drink.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't see how drinking and ultimately passing out is any fun. Maybe it's time to think about the dark path one drink leads to. . .
Old 07-11-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I'm trying to have a little fun, and all the parties I get invited to involve excessive drinking.
I had to change my lifestyle.
Change was that important to me.

I wasted decades - don't be like me.

The funny part is I have more fun now than I ever did drinking.

D
Old 07-11-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by dunkelheit View Post
Well I'm trying to have a little fun, and all the parties I get invited to involve excessive drinking. I can't have as much fun at parties with a bunch of strangers unless I have a few beers in me (I have social anxiety, so when I showed up, my hands were shaking). But 2 beers turn into maybe 6 and then I'm waking up somewhere. I only brought 2 beers to the party, but then we went out to the bar, came back, and started drinking again. Then the only thing left was whiskey.

I know it's a bad idea to mix different types of drink, but I was feeling fine until the whiskey. Everyone forgave me because they all do drugs, and have been in similar situations, but why did this have to happen last night?
I'll spare the pleasantries Dunkel. You are an alcoholic. You'll never be able to drink "just a couple" and going to drinking parties will always end up like this, until they start getting worse.

It doesn't matter what kind of alcohol you drink either...you will get blackout drunk on beer, wine or any hard alcohol. Why? Because you are an alcoholic and you cannot control your drinking. And you never will be able to either. We are all the same way....and we'd be happy to help you stop. But we cannot teach you how to drink in moderation....because it's impossible for us, just as it is for you.

The sooner you accept this the sooner you can move on and start getting better.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

... but why did this have to happen last night?
Why? Because you drank too much last night.

Either drink more responsible or don`t drink at all.

As far as "needing" a few to get into the swing of things at a party. If you can`t stop after a few than don`t drink or don`t go.

My history with booze is such the problems you`re experiencing aren`t going away. You`ll blow it again. The only question is when.

On the other hand maybe you can drink responsibly.

Not everyone I partied with back in the day is an alcoholic. Many of them did cut way back as the years rolled on.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the best things I ever heard was 'it's the first drink that gets me drunk'

you drinking whiskey didn't get you drunk - you made the decision to drink again with the first beer.

The idea that you would have controlled yourself without the whiskey is a pretty common delusion round these parts.

D
Old 07-11-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good question.
"why did this have to happen last night?"

what's your best answer?
Old 07-11-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My drinking was a runaway train headed for a cliff. I had to get off before I died or hurt somebody. Are you ready to stop drinking?
Old 07-12-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

... I can't have as much fun at parties with a bunch of strangers unless I have a few beers in me (I have social anxiety, so when I showed up, my hands were shaking)....
I used to think that too, but I couldn't have fun because I had programmed my brain to only have fun if I was drinking - so of course I felt anxious without a few beers in me. You may find, like I did, that you have *more* fun and less anxiety with zero beers, after some solid sober time. Right now it's your addicted voice telling you lies.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

While you see hanging out with people who are doing drugs as 'fun' - even if you need to change your perception of reality and yourself to make it enjoyable, then this will continue to happen. As others have pointed out. This didn't happen TO you. YOU made it happen. With your choices. You know what a game of Russian roulette it is for you to have a few drinks, but continue to play that game.

People on here can respond to your posts and give advice and sympathise - but only you can stop that cycle. And it won't be easy at first. You have to really want it. Want to learn a different way of living and being happy and comfortable in your own skin. Want to learn how to deal with fears, and people you hate, and the confusion of still wanting them to like and respect you, even when you do hate them.

Once you want it enough, then you'll be able to get it. Maybe that'll be now - or maybe it'll be later. Or maybe never. We all walk a different path, and it's your life and your choices. Personally, I hope you'll choose sooner rather than later.

Someone at a meeting I was at last Friday was talking about going through that stage where his drinking depressed and worried him, but it was what he 'knew' so it seemed the safer option in some weird way. Now he can laugh and say, it was like being offered a dinner he'd had lots of times before, and didn't like (He used the example of corned beef hash) and being offered something amazing but different and unknown on a big silver platter under a dome. For years he pushed away 'steak and chips' and kept taking the 'corned beef hash'. I hope, like him, you decide to brave the sobriety platter, and get to enjoy your steak and chips.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to have low self esteem. Was full of fear of what others thought of me. Afraid of being judged.so I'd drink " just a couple" to "lighten up".
But could never stop at " just a couple" and " lightening up" involved insanity on a regular basis, until I crossed the line into full blown alcoholism and lost the power of choice over alcohol and didn't need nor want an excuse to drink.
I didn't learn about the low self esteem and fears
until I got sober and looked at myself and how to fix it. I had never heard of this social anxiety thing I read so much about on here,so when I got sober and learned I called it what it is- low self esteem and fear.
And found some excellent non alcohol, non drug solutions.

Why did it have to happen last night? Same reason it happened to me countless times- because ya let low self esteem and fear control ya.
But then came the time I had no control. I had no choice.

Soooooo, do you want to stop drinking all together or are ya lookin for a way to " control" it?