Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Took my first antabuse today... not sure if I will go into withdrawal?

Notices

Old 07-05-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello,

I'm new here. I have been drinking 1 to 1 1/2 (and up to 2 maybe once per week) bottles of wine nightly for a year and a half as a way to cope with the fact that I'm lonely and don't have much of a life outside of work. The last couple of weeks I have been drinking 3/4 to 1 1/2 bottles per night in an attempt to drink less, but I have never had a night where I didn't drink any alcohol.

This morning I took my first antabuse. Now I'm a little bit anxious that I will experience withdrawal. Are there any, "early," symptoms I can look for that would indicate I need to go to a hospital for detox?

Thank you for your advice and support!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Lonelyinla, congratulations on giving up the booze. In 5 days I'll be 5 years sober and I have had times of loneliness, so being lonely is a different issue for all of us than drinking is. When your getting up to 1 1/2 to 2 bottles of wine a night, it's probably time to stop and I hope you do. As far as withdrawals goes, if you don't feel right, then by all means go see your doctor. Keeps posting here, plenty of people to talk to about it. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR lonelyinla and congrats on your decision to quit. I'd also say that you should see your doc if thigns don't feel right. I'm assuming you've seen one to get a prescription for Antabuse, did they share anything specific to watch for?