Notices

Diazepam to fly

Old 07-04-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diazepam to fly

Have a mammoth trip planned in 3 weeks time. Fying from London to Singapore, then on to New Zealand, have an internal flight there, and then flying home.

Back in the day I would fly half cut and got around any anxiety with booze. Obviously that is no longer an issue.

2 years ago I took a 4 hour flight and my doctor (who does not know about my problem) agreed to prescribe me diazepam and some other tablets that slow your heart rate down.

I am in 2 minds as to whether to go for this again or suck it up and hope to hell I stay seated when they go to close the plane doors.

I am trying to be honest with myself about whether I really need them or want them. Last time I used the reminder tablets to get through a few bad days at work so I am aware abuse of them is a real option.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I am 2 years sober.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

thats a tough one. I wont fly becuase i'm too scared. If i had no other alternative i'd probably like to have a pill of some sorts to calm me down so I dont panic. But like you i'd be worried about the abuse because stuff like that is a favorite of mine. I think I'd be mindful of the problems that could present themselves and I'd take it as needed if i had too.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

aren't there over the counter things to take or maybe a nap on the flight?
Old 07-04-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Maybe a good time to speak with your Dr explain you are 2 years sober were not allowed to talk medical advice but if you speak to your Gp or Dr there is help available
Old 07-04-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you think you could mentally prepare yourself to allow yourself the medication to get through the flights? And ONLY the flights. Is that realistic for you? The mind is pretty powerful.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pixy View Post
Last time I used the reminder tablets to get through a few bad days at work so I am aware abuse of them is a real option..
The quote above really bothers me. Thank you for being so honest.

I have/had anxiety attacks while being in a car in certain situations. My therapist worked with me on mindful meditation. Once you practice it for awhile you can do it even while driving. I would think it would be really useful for plane rides.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have a honest talk with your doctor. Benzos can really cause problems for folks that had a previous addiction problem. They will convince you that you need them when you really don't.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've removed a post.
Please remember we can't give medical advice here.

On SR
Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals.
what happened to you or a friend and how you or they overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

Thanks for your understanding

Pixy,
Yeah - if you're going to see your Dr, I think you need to be honest - honest about your past alcohol abuse, honest about not revealing that last time, and honest about how you used the remaindered pills.

D
Old 07-04-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I took a fear of flying course online, and that helped a great deal. Many of them are free. Also, lots of distractions help- a device with movies and games is a great idea. Naps work as well.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take a Xanax when I fly. I might be able to do without, but I am not willing to risk it. It has not been a problem for me - there is no desire at all to take it at any other time. It does the trick and I don't worry about panicking on the plane.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Benzos don't give me a buzz, just cut the edge or put me to sleep. I use them flying all the time ( I spend 25-50% of the year on the road). My doc knows my issues though so he gives me small amounts and I always check in with him. I also only use them as needed and won't take them everyday, every week, or even every month. The potential for physical dependence is too high. Be honest with your doc!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walktheline1 View Post
Benzos don't give me a buzz, just cut the edge or put me to sleep. I use them flying all the time ( I spend 25-50% of the year on the road).
Same thing here. If I know I don't have to drive on the other side, I will take Benadryl instead, and I'll sleep fine on the plane, or at least be somewhat sedated. Since I have allergies as it is, this is what I often take when traveling.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know the extent of your anxiety so it would be hard for me to give advice.
doubl check with your Dr - if you decide trazadone is necessary see if they can only prescribe one or two tablets for the flights . if they have to give you a full prescription get rid of the excess ones you don't need (trusted family member or friend) so thy are not sitting around your house.