Notices

Should I be concerned?

Old 08-27-2004, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I be concerned?

Hi
I am wondering if I should be worried about my father. I don't know if he is an alcoholic or not and I feel silly even asking but this is his routine and it NEVER changes: he gets home from work and has 1 drink, never two, and it is a small drink, like a shotglass of vodka or scotch. This is his daily habit.
I know he doesn't drink at work because I've been there a lot and I have never seen him drink or ever appear drunk. He has plenty of friends and I think they would notice too (and they aren't drinkers either, or drink only rarely).
He doesn't act strange, has never been arrested, gotten in trouble for dirinking or done anything else to conern me. He is a good worker too but I went to an alcohol quiz site and it said that anyone who had 6 or more drinks weekly was "in trouble". This is what worried me. If I'm being silly, please someone tell me so I can calm down about this.
He is over 80 years old now (yes, STILL working) and I can't see how this has harmed him. Should I be concerned? If he is an alcoholic, then I'm worried and want to try and do something. Help, any advice appreciated.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't see how it's harmed him, either. In fact, it's probably good for him. A small amount of alcohol daily has been found to have various health benefits, and he is able to stop at a small amount.

Someone who drinks 6 or more drinks a week could be in trouble, but not by that indicator alone.

And if your 80 year old dad is anything like my 80 year old dad, the likelihood of you getting him to change that daily habit is pretty slim!
Don S
Old 08-27-2004, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I don't think you should be worried. That level of drinking is shown to be beneficial medically, and habits are only a problem if they get in the way of normal life.

He sounds quite a remarkable guy and he's lucky to have you there to worry about him.

Deg.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

jeepers -

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

- Tanis
Old 08-28-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
just j

I totally agree with what is being said here!! I have read in several places that those who drink 2 drinks a day (male) and one drink a day (female) are totally within healthy limits. This is for nonalcholics of course. I think your dad sounds like a pretty together guy that you should be proud of. Sure is sweet of you to worry and watch out for him!

Take care, J
Old 08-28-2004, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its not the "amount" of alcohol,that makes for an alcoholic.
Its,how one is affected,acts,out, by alcohol.Take for example myself.I was a binge drinker.Didnt drink everyday..And because i compared my .amount.,of drinking,to what the others drank it took me longer to come to the truth that i am alcoholic.,too.....You say,he doesnt act strange,when drinking...There is your answer...Still working at 80,wowo,,isnt that great.Good question,jeepers..
Thanks for letting me share,
God Bless,and both of you take care,,!!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

I appreciate your answers. This relieves my mind considerably. My father is such a happy guy, that I wouldn't want to bug him about something that is not necessarily serious - and I have no idea how many drinks or how often is reason for concern. He used to be a chain smoker (20 years ago) and he gave that up and never went back to it so I figured (and from everyone's answers( I guess I am correct) that this small habit of his won't hurt him, certainly not as much as his smoking did.
His doctors have never cautioned him about it either and he always tells them the truth about this, never makes a secret of it. I think it is just how he divides his work life from his leisure time. It is a way of easing up a bit on the day's stresses. Has his one drink, looks out the window at the woods and then comes to dinner. But I know a friend who doesn't drink daily but does binge drink and that made me start paying attention to how much everyone around me was (or wasn't) drinking. I'm worried about my friend but he is already in AA so I guess he'll have to find his own way out.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i would'nt worry too much if I were you jeepers.