Notices

Anyone recovering in private deal with...

Old 06-21-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Are you asking them poeple how they are doing?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

In the beginning of my sobriety I was very fragile and sensitive. Of course I didn't realize this because early recovery is a very "selfish" endeavor. I couldn't keep my recovery secret because I was "Beer Drinker-in-Chief" and it was very noticeable that I wasn't drinking anymore, there was no more beer in the fridge, and I was out on the ragged edge of sanity for a while there. SR and my sober friends helped me get through these times. That, and the faith that things would get better. Well, guess what? They have. Now I don't need anyone else's approval for my decision and I don't mind telling anyone that I'm an alcoholic and I don't drink because it is very bad for me.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Che View Post
I

The smaller a part of your life that is, the more interests you ave outside it that make you feel positive, the more annoying it is when people bring up the one thing that's embarrassing for you and wasn't on your mind at all.
Hah, seriously...that's why I never told my GF (who never drinks...literally) what I'm doing. She will constantly bring it up, judge me, criticize me, and generally make me feel like garbage...that's another story and forum though

If you have any doubt a particular person won't give 150% support and not bring it up often, don't tell them because you can't untell them.

One approach might be to sit somebody down when you're calm, explain to them right to their face how you feel, when you started, what they should expect, and what you expect from them moving forward. You can get support without them mentioning alcohol at all.