Notices

Recovery Plan

Old 06-18-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery Plan

I just posted to the newcomers forum a little bit about myself and how I got here. Long story short, I need to quit drinking. I probably needed to a long time ago, but I am finally to the point that I am ready to do so.

I am wondering if any of you have any advice for me on developing a recovery plan or could point me in the right direction.

I have been lurking these forums for a few months and I feel this site could really help me so thank you in advance for any help, it is much appreciated.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey! Welcome!

Have you seen the "Class" threads? Here is the one for June:

(link)
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Do you have support in your town? Sober friends or family? Hobbies? Everything will change for you if you stay sober, and it's good to stay busy and have a plan for filling your time with healthy, creative, and/or thought-provoking activities.

Others will be along with more ideas. Glad you decided to post
Old 06-18-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Hey! Welcome!

Have you seen the "Class" threads? Here is the one for June:

Do you have support in your town? Sober friends or family? Hobbies? Everything will change for you if you stay sober, and it's good to stay busy and have a plan for filling your time with healthy, creative, and/or thought-provoking activities.

Others will be along with more ideas. Glad you decided to post
Thank you for that, I did post in the June thread.

I am very fortunate and I have an amazing support network of friends and family, all of them willing to do anything to help me. Many friends are social drinkers but they are very respectful. I also have sober family that is here for me. I think I have alot of the tools I need around me to do this, just a matter of doing it now.

Hobbies I am working on more, life has been so chaotic and changed so much these last few years that I lost sight of some of the things I like to do.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome lost! There are many different plans and programs out there, and sometimes you need to try few before you find one that works. Have you tried anything in the past?
Old 06-18-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome lost! There are many different plans and programs out there, and sometimes you need to try few before you find one that works. Have you tried anything in the past?
I have not really tried much in the past. A year or so ago I went to 2 AA meetings, sobered up for a few days, then went back to drinking. I didn't mind the meetings but they also didnt really do alot for me. I know I only went twice so I didn't really give it a chance either.

Beyond that I see a therapist that I have been seeing for the last few years to deal with...well, life. Not just for drinking, but he is aware of my issue with it and it is a big focus in alot of our talks.

Beyond that, no, I have not tried anything else other than lurking these forums for the last few months but only posting for the first time today.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You might want to try joining one of the monthly or weekly threads over in the newcomers section. It's helpful to be around others daily who are working towards the same goal. Don't rule out giving AA another shot too if it worked in the past
Old 06-19-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

Most programs strongly suggest not having the first drink because that creates a physical craving for more and more. I feel strongly that if I DON’T HAVE THE FIRST DRINK I WON’T HAVE TO try TO GET SOBER again, I’ve had my again experiences and am very lucky to get through them alive as few do.

When I went to AA years ago it was strongly suggested to sit up front and listen for 90 meetings in 90 days. We were told back then if we didn’t like what was offered our misery was refundable, this was before the word internet was invented for the public and AA was the only program available which had helped millions and still does.
It’s suggested to not be where alcohol is served, stop going to bars with the excuses we concoct, stay out of places that sell alcohol and on and on.
Today there are many choices and to be successful in them work is required for a long period of time, like it or not.

BE WELL
Old 06-19-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html