Notices

my story

Old 06-18-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my story

Recovery

1)*a return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength.
2)*the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost.

Without

Days are lighter now. *It’s the only way I can describe it. *I’ve lost the weight that kept me anchored, all the things that stopped me dreaming. *That may not sound like a bad thing, starting to dream, but as I sip my lime-and-soda, I wonder if the nightmares mightn’t come back…

Today

I don’t go to meetings any more. *Each meeting is a promise I can’t keep, or a lie that I tell. *The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. *It’s a desire I no longer possess. *For a while I had that drive, I held on to that hope, because drinking was wrecking my life. *Moments after I “fell” from that window, I wondered, briefly, if I might not survive the impact. *I felt the back of my head and, in my heightened state of drama, I felt blood on my fingers. *There was no blood, no life-threatening damage ensued. *The ankle snapped. *I didn’t hear it. *I was too busy listening to the rush of the breeze in my ears as I sailed- yes, I sailed- to the ground. *(To anyone else’s eyes, it must have looked like a plummet). *Through the haze of medication and alcohol, through the whispers and the shadows, I could feel only the darkness of unreality, closing me in yet leaving me lighter: falling, flying.

A week and a half later, after sliding up to my bedroom on my bum (crutches in one hand), I found the wine gone mouldy on my desk. *I felt intense desire; I felt intense hatred. *I felt, finally, that plummet, the plunge, that others had heard and seen but I not experienced.

I felt depth.

*I hobbled in to my first meeting filled with doubt and despair and hope, and found hope there. *In the dim candle-lit church hall, I found what they call identification. *Recognition of oneself in another, their stories all partially mine. *Heart at the base of my throat, I spoke, choked, imagining my tears lit up poetic by the tiny flames, yet hoping that that wasn’t the case.

Weeks later, in the same place, I met my future sponsor. *And over the course if the months that followed, I found humour, and friendship, and a lightness I hadn’t experienced in years. *Sometimes exhilarating, sometimes frightening. *Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly,*I found my way.

And now?

Well, I moved back to London. *I found similar support there and embraced it with what strength I could. *Tried hard to stay afloat where I felt myself sinking, to stay dedicated where I felt myself falter… but slowly, quickly, I lost my drive. *Circumstances got in the way; life got in the way. *And I experienced what “they” would call relapse and I? *Simply a change, not a darkness or a brightness but a subtle move from one form of living to another.

For months, I assumed I’d go back.

But as months passed, I began to re-learn myself. *I lacked one type of strength- the strength that allows others to stay stopped. *Yet I possessed another: that which allowed me to move through my life liberated from the vice-like (pun intended) grip that alcohol once held over my life. *I don’t believe anyone can call themselves “recovered”. *But I cope, and somehow, somewhere along the line, alcohol has lost its power to destroy, and I have developed the ability to enjoy.

It isn’t easy. *Isn’t. *Easy. *There are moments and will always be, where I feel I have made a wrong move, that it will hold me in checkmate (chess not my strong point) until I surrender to the madness or return to meetings through those ever-open swinging doors. *I would not be ashamed to turn back the way I came, if consequences became too dangerous, too dark. *But for now I’m not unhappy, not unsafe.

So why this fear, when I think about stopping- just for a month? *I’m in training for a half marathon. *It’s something- if alcohol is no longer a problem for me- that I should be able to do. *But I doubt, and I fear, and I waver. *I dread the lightness I referred to at the start, leaving the hope of dreams and the terror of nightmares wide open. *I fear for the strength that I lacked. *I fear the revelation that I can’t, I can’t, I*can’t-*and what that would mean.

But what can I do but try? “Where can we live but days?” (Philip Larkin). *A month is made up of weeks, are made up of days, are made up of hours and the challenge, such as it is, is a minute-by-minute thing. *I learned that in meetings. *I learned that as part of a new way to live.

Recovered? *No.

But empowered?
Equipped?
Hopeful?

Well, hopeful.

I hope so.

Except I'm not sure any more. I'm not sure if I'm in control.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DollPart

If alcohol is no longer a problem for you, then you can give it up completely, right?

That was my problem. Even when drinking was 'working' for me I always knew it would be a matter of time before I lost it.

I was the puppet not the puppet master
D
Old 06-18-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry you're still drinking, dollpart.

I hope you can find your way back.

We're here.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel lost.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.xx
Old 06-18-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking will get you lost. I hope you can find your way back.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why not post more regularly here? Join the Class of June support thread?

D
Old 06-18-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks. I kind of feel weird about coming back
X
Old 06-18-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep talking. We are really glad you are here. We all know how hard it can be. I agree with Dee, join the June Class thread. It is really helpful to interact daily with others in the same spot in recovery.

Many ((hugs))
Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks bimini, I really appreciate it.

I just feel like I don't know what recovery means now. I think I'm ok... I don't know.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Why is it that I used to get withdrawal symptoms and now I don't? Do they just go away or were they never real withdrawal in the first place?
Old 06-21-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Dollpart, good to see you. I hope you come back to us. We are all here for you. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Dollpart really nice to see you have you seen this SR sticky on having a plan

There are beautiful recovery books out there also

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things., dollpart?

D
Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How are things., dollpart?