Notices

Today's eff up.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

What's the problem? Is the problem getting to the right amount of change to give out (I.e. customers purchase $10.25 pays $20 change $9.25 ) or making the change when you know it?

The answer is slightly different for both.

If I were you I'd be looking for another job anyway because you're worth more than they are paying you.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I don't know how Robby.
You are very brilliant.
My boyfriend is also very intelligent.
I see things other people engage in, normal life stuff and realize how much I have been excluded from and it makes me so sad.
Your own art talents, and everything that goes with having those talents is the best example of you adapting successfully. Yes, there are always going to be challenges. In my own life, I've always had to adapt growing up as a crippled kid, tons of surgeries, and then becoming an alcoholic drug addict and then becoming recovered, and then failing to ever complete a classic education, and well, the list is endless if I get into specifics and details.

Brilliant? Yeah I suppose, against the reality of my backstory I've done pretty good for myself. Normal life stuff? Well, not so much am I brilliant with normal life. Seriously. I gave up being normal after grade 1 happened. It was so obvious I was different. School yard bullies taught me several painful lessons that first year in public school in Ottawa's East end, the wrong side of the tracks if you will. As I learned how to defend myself, I also learned there was an advantage to being different if I wanted to pay the price of being apart from normal society. So yeah hurtful lessons, standing my ground, adapting to my differences, making lemonade when all I got are lemons is my baseline no matter what are my circumstances.

I'm now 57 yo with 30+ yrs of sobriety. I've changed so much, and been successful for so long, its now difficult to get people to realize what I've accomplished is not something that I'm still not working on, lol. Not something only I could have done as a one off. Actually, I'm a great example of going from zero to hero simply by consistently believing in myself, and believing that no matter how difficult life sometimes appears to be, there are always examples of others who also believe in themselves and so became winners themselves.

Let me be real clear: I had to accept I was living a losers life before I could begin to change up my game and become the winner I now am. Real acceptance saved my life by giving me opportunities to change. Putting those changes into actions was also required. I had to learn how to live my dreams. I had to learn how to not give up simply because I had times of failure. I had to learn to be a better person than I was taught to be. I had to learn how to be me. I'm still learning, and still changing as my circumstances continue to play out. I still have a hard life, and this is okay because I absolutely have a life well worth living. I'm not surprised I had to work my ass off to be successful. Doesn't everybody?!

(((sleepie))) my dear friend. Please take just a moment every time you can manage to do anything at all which is successful in your own eyes, and with that same moment, spend another moment imagining how you can adapt that success into other challenges you daily face. I promise you that as the days, weeks, months, and years go on, you'll have an amazing self-made resource of knowing how successful you actually are over the challenges before you. And the sooner you can believe that you yourself created that wonderful internal pool of know-how, of true experiences, the sooner you will have even greater success. It's how I started way back as a lost kid in an impossible world. Its just amazing what we can do as individuals just by taking the time to have a good look at ourselves. You have keen insights into yourself. Put that insight into service for YOU. Do this, and you too will be brilliant.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Very Inspiring, RR....but if your not ready to hear it than your not ready to do it.

I am afraid Sleepi may need more time to come to the acceptance of her limitations and re-work her thinking in order to achieve that positive outcome you had.

Way to Go RR

Respectfully,
TrixMixer
Old 06-14-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Counting up is how I learned to give change at my first job when I was fifteen. We weren't even allowed to punch in the total given minus the amount of the sale. We had to count up. My boss also made us ALWAYS leave the bill on top of the drawer before the transaction was completed. It really does work, and once you learn you never forget how to do it. I am glad I learned that way. It's a useful skill.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I've walked around stores in pain for years when I didn't have to. Why would anyone do that? PRIDE! EGO! SHAME-BASED! Fear of what others think. People can be downright cruel, nasty and shaming. As I aged and my physical condition got worse (arthritic spinal stenosis) I became embarrassed to even use riding carts in the stores that I had used when I was younger. I wasn't as embarrassed about my physical condition as I was about people thinking I was old and decrepit. The elderly aren't respected like they were when I was growing up. They're viewed with disdain and considered free-loading burdens by some... unfortunately the most verbal types... and I developed a complex seeing what they said on Facebook, etc, so I wouldn't use a walker in public.

I recently had a flare up my meds wouldn't even work for and I had no choice but to use one because crying while walking was more embarrassing to me. You know what? Most people didn't even notice and those who did were looking to help me like holding doors open. I'm telling you this personal stuff, Sleepie, to say that we ALL have limitations in one way or another..... seriously. We can let them run us... like me enduring pain instead of using a walker.... and, if we do, that's defeat while using aides is victory and something that makes us freer. Its just however you want to look at it. Don't be like me... don't wait so long.... be thankful there are calculators and use them.

And, btw, I know an engineer who has a special app in his phone to do more math than the average one does. I asked him if he needed it for his work and he said no but did when shopping. I kind of giggled when he told me that knowing an Engineering degree requires lots of higher math. When I asked him why he needs one shopping, he said it was because he trusted it more than he did his brain. If I worked at a job where I had to make change and the register wouldn't figure it out, though I know how to do it mostly because calculators weren't around when I learned, I might still use a calculator to double check myself at times and I would bet money that engineer would too.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Lol my bf has an engineering degree too.
Thank you guys for sharing such deep and personal thoughts and experiences.
I have a long road ahead. I obviously need help with my grey matter situation, I am fine with that. Obtaining the job and the pay and insurance where I can even begin to do that is not going to happen in a day. Besides that, I need to find someone who actually "gets it" with my weird situation. And that is going to be mega bucks because I need a neuropsychologist. I talked t one on the phone. Anyway if the health system were different here maybe I'd be better off. Who knows.
As far as the art thing, well I've never been to proud of it, it was just a coping mechanism to keep my mind off things. I am not an exceptionally talented person.
typical of my family- my brother once said "Even ******* can make art".
Couldn't let me have a single thing. I know some of you understand what it's like to consistently be told these kinds of things in life.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I CAN'T MAKE ART! Your brother's full of it!
Old 06-14-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

"I know some of you understand what it's like to consistently be told these kinds of things in life. "

I sure do. I've been surrounded all my life by people who just don't like my personality and say so! Its usually when I'm being forth-right or honest.... the only way I know how to be. I've found people, generally, don't like honesty even when its served on a spoon full of sugar.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Lol you guys thanks
Old 06-14-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi, Sleepie. Brothers say lots of dumb things, don't they?

Trust me, not everyone can do art as well as you. And there is a lot of commercial demand for good artists. And you are a good artist.

It can be hard to see your own talent and skill. Things that are easy for you can be difficult for other people.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Not only are you making under minimum wage
That's a good point. The Federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour and most states have their own, higher minimum wage. That may be something to pursue if you care to.

I could not do art to save my life.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Sleepie, I think you are a good person. But I implore you to strike the word "******" from your vocabulary. It is the cruelest insult and paints you as an ignorant person (which from ur posts I think u are not). Words hurt, yah"
Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Well I am literally slower than others. That's just a plain hard fact, to ****** means to slow.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I understand though.
I'll try... but it was really just about my middle name growing up.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Well I am literally slower than others.
Everyone is. It's pointless to compare because someone is always one up on us in just about every category of life. That applies to me, to you and every single other person here. The victim mentality gets us nowhere, and the flip side if this is that everyone can improve their situation. That means you can too...but you have to be honest about where you are first and accept the help you need.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sleepie, I work register every day. My register tells me how much change to give back. I always count it back to them , and never just place the change into their hands. Anyone can make a mistake. I really hate it when someone places my change into my hand, and I will stand there and count it, just to make sure its correct.
I use a calculator to add things that many people could add easily in their heads. But I don't care. It does not make me any less of a person.
If I feel cornered, like having to make change without a register, I get flustered, and anxious and my brain goes blank sometimes.*

And I do believe its illegal not to give your employees breaks.

Honestly, sleepie, sometimes I wonder if your self doubt is your biggest problem. You seem quite intelligent to me. You get down on yourself and maybe you beat yourself up, until you feel like the failure that your family always told you that you were. Its hard to come out from under such brainwashing.

I know you struggle and mention a disorder, but is it possible that its not as debilitating as your self deprecation?
said with caring and concern, sleepie. you put it out there for us, so I reckon you want us to tell you what we think too.
you are a kind and talented lady. how about you learn to love that about yourself, ok?
Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'll try.
I am done with the job after the 24th!
Old 06-16-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Massive for you today Sleepie
Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chrissy2014 View Post
It is the cruelest insult and paints you as an ignorant person (which from ur posts I think u are not). Words hurt, yah
Irony + 1
Old 07-15-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

How so Stratman?