Notices

Relapse after close to 2 years

Old 06-16-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You can do this. You've done it already. It's hard in the beginning but you can do it. Thank you for posting. I'm at 18 months and your post reminded me that I need to stay vigilant. One day at a time you add those days. I can't obsess about alcohol every day but I can't afford to forget that I'm an alcoholic. Be well
Old 06-17-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There are a couple of scenarios that might be worth thinking about that others, including myself, have seen or experienced in recovery.

In the first, I chose the no action method of recovery. This is where I stopped drinking, after treatment in the local laughing academy, on pure will power. Ongoing support and work had no place in this method, I had enough facts and information and could beat the problem on my own without having to do anything much else. I eventually forgot why I wanted to be sober and ended up drunk for another year. Just not drinking didn't do the trick for me.

The second is where action is taken for a time, then, as the pressures to sober up, the heat from past events, goes out of the situation, so the action gets less and less until I think I can revert to method one above.

I either took no action and drank, or I stopped doing what was working and eventually drank. Perhaps more continuous action might be required to bring about permanent recovery?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

your in a catch 22 hope your ok

and what I mean is if you forget about and carry on your journey youll be fine but if you beat yourself up and dwell youll fuel anxiety symptoms which you may mistake as beer withdrawal symptoms
Old 06-17-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"Now what?" you ask.

Nothing, don't take another drink.....just continue on

Dwelling on our negative past tends to effect our positive future
Old 06-17-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
High on Life

That's unfortunate. You mentioned in your post that it kind of just happened. I don't believe it just kind of happened. I have found relapse to be a process and the moment we start thinking about a drink actually happens much sooner than the event. Try and sit down and do some serious soul searching, because if you are not completely honest with yourself then this will happen again. If you sit down, you will notice some warning signs. I have seen them, first you might think "Hey everyone else is having more fun than me". Those are the things that you don't want to overlook. Those are signs that lead to relapse. Good Luck
Old 06-18-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Try to find something fun to keep your mind and body busy. Get past the post drinking depression that way and hopefully the urge will lessen.